Roger Waters on tour!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My pleasure, LMP! :hug:

And yep, xavi, I've got a few. I don't have very many early Pink Floyd shows, but I did rip the audio from my Live At Pompeii DVD (which is amazing, you should buy it.) It's not live in the traditional sense because there was no audience around when they recorded their performances. The music itself was recorded live, though. So no pesky screaming from the audience to destroy the perfection that is Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun. :wink: Listen for Rick Wright's crazy keyboard section in the middle!

Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii version (1972)
http://www.you sendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=634323A5492E77A0

Roger's version has always been very different to the original version he wrote for Pink Floyd. It's a lot more...I don't know what the word is! "More rocking" in the middle, I suppose. I still prefer the Floyd version, but his is very good too. YSI is being a tremendous pain in the arse right now and it doesn't seem to want to let me upload the song. Never mind, I'll try later. I've also got a video for you from an early Floyd concert. It's a brilliant performance! I'll have it up for you ASAP, xavi.

As for the youtube videos, yep, I've seen them. I'd advise against watching them, however... Roger seems to be having some severe vocal problems right now, which is to be expected because he's a lot older and hasn't done a major tour for a few years. In that first show at Rio, he even had to use backing tracks to help him out on a few songs because his voice was so shot. :huh: I'm pretty confident, however, that his voice will improve as he gets back into the swing of things again. At least I hope it will. I don't know why on earth he feels he has to struggle through difficult PF songs when he could easily do more of his solo work. It would be a million times easier on his voice. Come on, Roger, you're not 36 anymore, you're almost 63. I'm amazed he was able to sing the way he did in his 40s and in some respects, a little disappointed, because it has obviously taken its toll on him.

GibsonGirl said:
My pleasure, LMP! :hug:

And yep, xavi, I've got a few. I don't have very many early Pink Floyd shows, but I did rip the audio from my Live At Pompeii DVD (which is amazing, you should buy it.) It's not live in the traditional sense because there was no audience around when they recorded their performances. The music itself was recorded live, though. So no pesky screaming from the audience to destroy the perfection that is Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun. :wink: Listen for Rick Wright's crazy keyboard section in the middle!

Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii version (1972)
http://www.you sendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=634323A5492E77A0

Roger's version has always been very different to the original version he wrote for Pink Floyd. It's a lot more...I don't know what the word is! "More rocking" in the middle, I suppose. I still prefer the Floyd version, but his is very good too. YSI is being a tremendous pain in the arse right now and it doesn't seem to want to let me upload the song. Never mind, I'll try later. I've also got a video for you from an early Floyd concert. It's a brilliant performance! I'll have it up for you ASAP, xavi.

Thak you so much, I really appreciate it:hug: :bow:

GibsonGirl said:

As for the youtube videos, yep, I've seen them. I'd advise against watching them, however... Roger seems to be having some severe vocal problems right now, which is to be expected because he's a lot older and hasn't done a major tour for a few years.

Yeah - I just noticed the voice problem on a couple of videos. Hopefully the voice will recover. I also wish he would start making the guitarists use Strats. Even though the Les Paul and Tele sound tonally correct, it would be nice to see Strats.

Unfortunately, Waters has resorted to lip-synching a lot of the numbers he's playing this tour, or at least (by accounts) singing along to a prominent backing track. Watching the Rock in Rio tracks on YouTube show a couple "Milli Vanilli" moments, particularly parts of the Gunner's Dream where Rog is nowhere near the microphone and yet magically singing the words, LOL!

I know Waters voice has been poor for some time and was never a strength, but thought he could croak out a few numbers with his backing singers and Carin covering the tough parts.

Disappointing to here/see the backing track/lip synch reports. I'm sure the music is still top notch but this seems something of a Pink Floyd tribute band replete with processed vocals. Also interesting of note is that Waters' solo career (ie the last 23 years) is represented by a mere 2 numbers, further heightening the nostalgia of it all.

yea its sad to see the problems he has been having with his voice.

Anyone find it interesting how David Gilmour's voice hasn't aged that badly?

Last edited:
xaviMF22 said:

Anyone find it interesting how David Gilmour's voice hasn't aged that badly?

Not at all. Compare Gilmour's PF/solo career vocals to Roger's PF/solo career vocals. There are very few times when Gilmour pushed his voice to quite the same extremes that Roger did. I'd actually be more surprised if David's voice had aged worse than Roger's.

As for the lip synching claims on his first show, it's not really "a lot" of the numbers. The only conclusive evidence of it can be seen in The Gunner's Dream (a song that has since been dropped), The Fletcher Memorial Home, Have A Cigar, and maybe Sheep. The rest is all live. Three songs out of a three hour show. My feeling is that he's just using backing tracks on the difficult songs (which were all recorded now before the tour in 2006, BTW, not lifted off the albums - evidence that he CAN still sing them) initially to make sure he doesn't damage his voice for the entire tour. It's still too early to tell. And if he doesn't feel confident he can hit the high notes a few shows down the line, well, that's three songs he can take out of the setlist. It's not half as big an issue as people in certain Pink Floyd forums are making it out to be. The frustrating thing is that the people making most of the noise are major David Gilmour fans who'd like nothing more than to see Roger's reputation ruined. That stupid age-old fan divide always causes problems. I mean, sure, I'd prefer it if he was singing something like Have A Cigar live, but if he can't, so be it...you're still getting a good show. Some people are actually suggesting that he should stop touring entirely just because he can't do three songs out of a three hour set! The thing that worries me is that it'll be people like that who could end up pissing him off with their attitude and cause him to pull the plug on the tour entirely.

And I really want to see him so I really don't want that to happen. Don't forget, this was just supposed to be a one-off thing for the Mangy-Cours show. He didn't have to schedule a full blown tour, but he did anyway.

:sigh:

Hawkfire said:
Unfortunately, Waters has resorted to lip-synching a lot of the numbers he's playing this tour, or at least (by accounts) singing along to a prominent backing track.

I shelled out big bucks on the ticket auction, so I hope his voice improves. And for Gilmour, I haven't really researched it, but I'm not sure why he only played 5 cities (at small venues) in North America, and not my city :(.

:bump:

Probably the most entertaining rock concert I've ever attended.
Roger :bow:.

Photos coming - but they didn't allow DSLRs :madspit:.

Hawkfire said:
Unfortunately, Waters has resorted to lip-synching a lot of the numbers he's playing this tour, or at least (by accounts) singing along to a prominent backing track. Watching the Rock in Rio tracks on YouTube show a couple "Milli Vanilli" moments, particularly parts of the Gunner's Dream where Rog is nowhere near the microphone and yet magically singing the words, LOL!

I know Waters voice has been poor for some time and was never a strength, but thought he could croak out a few numbers with his backing singers and Carin covering the tough parts.

Disappointing to here/see the backing track/lip synch reports. I'm sure the music is still top notch but this seems something of a Pink Floyd tribute band replete with processed vocals. Also interesting of note is that Waters' solo career (ie the last 23 years) is represented by a mere 2 numbers, further heightening the nostalgia of it all.
:( :( :(

Hawkfire said:
Unfortunately, Waters has resorted to lip-synching a lot of the numbers he's playing this tour, or at least (by accounts) singing along to a prominent backing track.

It was my opinion that this is not the case now, or at least not noticeable - I was 25 feet or so away from him.

Some of Roger :bow: :

RW2_50.jpg

RW4_50.jpg

RW6_50.jpg

David Kilminster, guitar virtuoso :bow: :
DK1_50.jpg

Oh man, I totally forgot to post a review here at Interference! Your pictures are amazing, ntalwar. :bow: I love the second one during Sheep. How fucking awesome were those fire plumes?!

The show I saw in Toronto was the best rock concert I've ever seen in my life. I'm being completely serious. Everything about it blew me away, despite the fact that I was quite far from the stage. Roger was having an awesome time and it really translated through into the performance. The crowd was awesome too. Fucking LOUD! Not to mention all of the little theatrical extras that made it that much more entertaining to witness. We got fireworks, jets of fire, exploding cannons, pink confetti, floating astronauts, flying pigs and a fucking brilliant video show. I had the time of my life. And I agree re: the lip synching. I watched the video screens extremely closely on Sheep, Have A Cigar and The Fletcher Memorial Home. Sheep is definitely live, Have A Cigar I'm fairly certain of as well. As for Fletcher, I think he might still be getting a little assistance on that one, but it was barely noticeable. To see a 63-year-old man singing along with a pre-recorded track on one (extremely difficult, BTW) song out of a three hour show doesn't bother me in the slightest. The message of that song is far more important than whether or not the high parts are being sung live, and I think that's the point people are missing. The Fletcher Memorial Home is one of the greatest songs Roger has ever written, and I'm glad he hasn't dropped it. It's very poignant in the state of today's politics. Speaking of politics, I'm also glad he didn't drop Leaving Beirut for the sake of the American audiences. I'd love to see the crowd reaction to that one in the more Republican states.

My only complaint would be Snowy and Dave during Money. They shouldn't play the outro together because I haven't heard one bootleg where they've been in perfect pitch with one another. Toronto wasn't an exception to this. Just let Dave play it, he's fucking incredible. :drool:

To make a long story short, if you're a Pink Floyd fan and you have the opportunity to see Roger live, DO IT. You won't be disappointed. I think this is his best tour since Pros & Cons. In The Flesh was good, but DSOTM is blowing it away.

Here are some of my pictures...I snuck in a digital SLR but they caught me taking video during WYWH and told me to stop using the camera or they'd throw me out. Since you got the close ups, ntalwar, I'll show a few I got of the screens before security berated me. :wink:

In The Flesh:

rog00.jpg

rog01.jpg

Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun:

rog05_1.jpg

Shine On You Crazy Diamond:

rog06_1.jpg

And some video.

In The Flesh clip 1 / In The Flesh clip 2
SOYCD clip 1 / SOYCD clip 2
Wish You Were Here (long clip)

I wish I hadn't filmed so long during WYWH...it would have been fucking fantastic to get some of the pig. He floated right above us!

Last edited:
^Glad you had a great time! I posted this in another thread, and I thought of you as I was letting them go:

VintagePunk said:

The morning of the Roger Waters show in Toronto earlier this week, I pulled up front rows in the closest section to the stage - 109, I think, but I had to let them go because I couldn't make it. :sad:

Admittedly, I'm a bigger Gilmour fan than Waters, and so I do feel lucky to have seen Gilmour earlier in the year in a more intimate setting, but Waters would have been awesome as well.

GibsonGirl said:
Oh man, I totally forgot to post a review here at Interference! Your pictures are amazing, ntalwar. :bow: I love the second one during Sheep. How fucking awesome were those fire plumes?!

The show I saw in Toronto was the best rock concert I've ever seen in my life. I'm being completely serious. Everything about it blew me away, despite the fact that I was quite far from the stage. Roger was having an awesome time and it really translated through into the performance. The crowd was awesome too. Fucking LOUD! Not to mention all of the little theatrical extras that made it that much more entertaining to witness. We got fireworks, jets of fire, exploding cannons, pink confetti, floating astronauts, flying pigs and a fucking brilliant video show. I had the time of my life. And I agree re: the lip synching. I watched the video screens extremely closely on Sheep, Have A Cigar and The Fletcher Memorial Home. Sheep is definitely live, Have A Cigar I'm fairly certain of as well. As for Fletcher, I think he might still be getting a little assistance on that one, but it was barely noticeable. To see a 63-year-old man singing along with a pre-recorded track on one (extremely difficult, BTW) song out of a three hour show doesn't bother me in the slightest. The message of that song is far more important than whether or not the high parts are being sung live, and I think that's the point people are missing. The Fletcher Memorial Home is one of the greatest songs Roger has ever written, and I'm glad he hasn't dropped it. It's very poignant in the state of today's politics. Speaking of politics, I'm also glad he didn't drop Leaving Beirut for the sake of the American audiences. I'd love to see the crowd reaction to that one in the more Republican states.

My only complaint would be Snowy and Dave during Money. They shouldn't play the outro together because I haven't heard one bootleg where they've been in perfect pitch with one another. Toronto wasn't an exception to this. Just let Dave play it, he's fucking incredible. :drool:

To make a long story short, if you're a Pink Floyd fan and you have the opportunity to see Roger live, DO IT. You won't be disappointed. I think this is his best tour since Pros & Cons. In The Flesh was good, but DSOTM is blowing it away.

Here are some of my pictures...I snuck in a digital SLR but they caught me taking video during WYWH and told me to stop using the camera or they'd throw me out. Since you got the close ups, ntalwar, I'll show a few I got of the screens before security berated me. :wink:

In The Flesh:

rog00.jpg

rog01.jpg

Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun:

rog05_1.jpg

Shine On You Crazy Diamond:

rog06_1.jpg

And some video.

In The Flesh clip 1 / In The Flesh clip 2
SOYCD clip 1 / SOYCD clip 2
Wish You Were Here (long clip)

I wish I hadn't filmed so long during WYWH...it would have been fucking fantastic to get some of the pig. He floated right above us!

sounds like an awesome show

glad you had fun:wave:

GibsonGirl said:

Thanks - good to hear you enjoyed it as much as I did. Nice photos and videos. I'm sure RW could do more with the show in the arena effects-wise compared to the amphitheater I saw it in.

As big as a U2 fan I am, I'd have to agree with you on the best rock concert thing - mostly because of the great setlist for me. Plus the quality of the instrumental performances and the visuals. U2 could put on an truly incredible show too, if they did a best-of setlist IMO.

And the merchandise stand was so crowded, I couldn't get a tshirt. At the U2 shows, there was not really a line. I'm so jealous of LA - they get 3 shows. I think red state thing will be ok - I think NYC had some booers, but I didn't hear any near DC.

I'll upload some brief videos later too - luckily I wasn't caught as well.

Here's a couple I got of the pig:

RW_PIG_01.jpg

RW_PIG_02.jpg

thanks for all the pictures & clips :happy:
Really looking forward to the Hollywood Bowl shows. Hubby has tickets for 2 of the 3 nights. I know I'm going to one of them, and he'll probably take a friend the other. We'll see. :hyper:

ntalwar said:

As big as a U2 fan I am, I'd have to agree with you on the best rock concert thing - mostly because of the great setlist for me. Plus the quality of the instrumental performances and the visuals. U2 could put on an truly incredible show too, if they did a best-of setlist IMO.

And the merchandise stand was so crowded, I couldn't get a tshirt. At the U2 shows, there was not really a line. I'm so jealous of LA - they get 3 shows. I think red state thing will be ok - I think NYC had some booers, but I didn't hear any near DC.

Yeah. I saw U2 in Toronto last year and they were brilliant, but this particular show was something else entirely. I don't know why, but I felt about a thousand times more engaged in the whole experience. I think the difference here is that even though I was a little bit further from the stage than I was at U2, I felt closer to the action and more emotionally attached because all kinds of things were happening around me. The astronaut during Perfect Sense was let off right by the section where I was sitting, and the pig was almost close enough for me to touch it. The setlist thing you brought up is very true as well. At the U2 show I saw in Toronto, they played a lot of songs I wasn't wild about. At the RW show, every song he played was a favourite of mine.

Merchandise stand was crowded in Toronto too, but I luckily managed to get a few things. Some of the shirts were really cool! I loved the one that had the Any Colour You Like projections on them but they didn't have anything in my size. The tour programme is awesome as well. There wasn't any booing for Leaving Beirut in TO either. The only booing was had when pictures of Bin Laden, Tony Blair and George Bush were shown on the video screen during The Fletcher Memorial Home. :wink: "Boom boom, bang bang, lie down you're dead!" If only they were, Rog. If only they were. Nice shots of the pig, by the way! I loved the "Impeach Bush NOW!" on his rear. Good placing of the words. :wink:

VintagePunk, I'm jealous! :madwife: I wanted to check TicketBastard on the day of the show as well, but had no Internet OR printer access, so it would have been pointless. I considered seeking out a scalper at one point, but they piss me off so much that I wasn't going to give them the satisfaction. I still had a great time anyway, despite being faaar away in the lower bowl.

And Lila, you're going to have a fantastic time. There is a very special guest attending the Hollywood Bowl shows. :wink:

:drool:

Roger, oh Roger, why have you forgotten about Florida (aka America's Willie)

:sad:

HOLY FUCK. HOLY FUCK. AWESOME VIDEOS PEOPLE SHOT FROM THE SHOW I WAS AT. It looks like the main taper was in section 109 or somewhere close by!

Sheep: (PIG!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cj4p4Rzn94

Perfect Sense, Part 1: (I lovvveee this song, taper got a bit of the astronaut at the end)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNIv4WuCyvQ

Perfect Sense, Part 2: (The explosion!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6xhGp2lxms

In The Flesh: (AAAHHHHHHH)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K805cavbNyA

A better video of the fireworks in the outro!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5n6KlymPvE

Mother:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9KewuTOG6c

Mother was a really sweet moment, because the lighting guys forgot to turn on the spotlight for the female singer who did Dave's part. So Roger went over to her and leaned up against her so that she'd have some light shed on her, hehehe.

I also found this from another show, Vera/Bring The Boys Back Home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxmojbxd0Ks

That pyro was so awesome. :drool:

EDIT: AHAHAHAHA. :lol: I just noticed something. In Part 1 of Perfect Sense when PP Arnold is singing "The president's a fool" Roger holds his hand up. What's interesting is that that particular part of the song was written for George Bush Sr. at the time. Now it applies to Dubya. :lol:

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:
:drool:

Roger, oh Roger, why have you forgotten about Florida (aka America's Willie)

:sad:

Because everyone forgets about Florida. :mad:

I think all these artists are just pissed that we "elected" Bush in the first time around so they punish us. :sad:

That and that the average age of Floridians is like 75. :lol: Not really but, I guess they figure they can make more money elsewhere and we'll just drive the 12 hours out to Bamy or Georgia.

PlaTheGreat said:

Because everyone forgets about Florida. :mad:

I think all these artists are just pissed that we "elected" Bush in the first time around so they punish us. :sad:

That and that the average age of Floridians is like 75. :lol: Not really but, I guess they figure they can make more money elsewhere and we'll just drive the 12 hours out to Bamy or Georgia.

Miami and Orlando are large markets for bands, at least Miami is.

But yeah, you're probably right.

:mad:

Back
Top Bottom