Roger Waters on tour! - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2007, 03:08 PM   #181
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:11 PM
The local radio show was giving away tickets for one of the S.Calif shows (not the Hollywood Bowl), and you had to be the 20th caller with the correct answer to a trivia question: Who produced Pink FLoyd's first single, Adrian Layne? Hubby got in and won the tickets!

Old 03-15-2007, 03:33 PM   #182
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:11 AM
That's awesome! But I hope your husband told them it was Arnold Layne, not Adrian Layne.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:38 PM   #183
Blue Crack Distributor

No, I just typed the question wrong, I was in a hurry & excited. They asked the question, he had to come up with the answer. They are like 'how did you know that?'. He said 'I'm old', LOL. He didn't want to say his wife Googled it and found it online. Where else would people find out info they don't know?
Old 03-15-2007, 04:07 PM   #184
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:11 AM
Well done! How are the seats?
Old 04-13-2007, 04:06 AM   #185
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:11 PM
I may not be able to go to the Vancouver show
Old 04-13-2007, 04:09 AM   #186
Blue Crack Distributor

oh noz! Why not?
Old 04-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #187
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:11 PM
It looks like we might have HUGE mini fah softball conflict.

Mr fah and I were going to the show but Mr fah is coaching one of the mini fah teams and another mini fah has a game that night too
Old 04-13-2007, 09:25 PM   #188
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:11 AM
Okay, here's the deal. This is the seating map...

This is the seat available for each price range...

$147.50 = sec 203 row 8
$108.50 = sec 403 row 9
$65.50 = sec 504 row 5
$38.35 = Lawn (beyond 500 level)

Prices include ticketbastard fees. Since Orchestra is out, I'm thinking either splurge and go for sec 203 or either of the bottom 2. sec 403 looks like the worst option to me, regarding value for money. What do you guys think?
Old 04-14-2007, 12:58 AM   #189
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:11 AM
^I would wait - it's still 3 months away, and I've seen some great seats pop up at other venues. Keep checking TM. The 400 and up levels are going to suck. I haven't sat on lawn seats since high school .
Old 06-08-2007, 05:28 PM   #190
ONE
love, blood, life

Roger Waters, 6 June. Where to start? This is going to be a long post!

The show was easily the absolute best I've seen in all my life. And it almost didn't happen, thanks to the Ottawa Senators... I really can't even begin to describe what a brilliant time I had. It was perfect, absolutely perfect from start to finish. This was my first time seeing Roger Waters from the floor, and I think that had a lot to do with it. The atmosphere on the floor was great. Very warm, friendly and excited crowd. I was able to meet up with an older fan who I knew through e-mail and forum correspondence, which was great. Roger fans are the best bunch of people you could ever wish to be around!

The first set was flawless. Great sound, note-for-note perfection. I was surprised at how much heat you could feel coming off the stage at row six! Every time a firework, jet of flame or explosion went off, I was blasted with hot air. It was amazing. And the band! They were in top form and appeared to be having one hell of a good time. Especially Ian Ritchie (saxophone player) and Roger. I loved it that Roger was smiling at us all virtually non-stop. The people in the stands closest to the stage went wild any time he so much as nodded at them! "And up here in the stands, the fans are goin' wild..." He's a thrill to watch.

Best performance of the night was Perfect Sense, Parts I & II. Not only is it one of my favourite songs from Amused To Death, it's one of Roger's best live performances. A lot of people were sitting down (alas, some people will ALWAYS go to a RW show expecting to hear Pink Floyd songs and nothing else) but that didn't take away from it in the slightest. I was standing up, anyway. And mimicking all of Roger's moves as well. Loved it when he played air piano and air violin! Singing along with P.P. Arnold was amazing as well. I love her, she's fantastic.

Leaving Beirut was also a fun one. Most people didn't know the lyrics, but they really appreciated the message. If Bono had have been there, he would have exclaimed that Andy Fairweather-Low was on fire! Love his soloing in that song. Roger apparently does as well...air guitar! Roger was especially amusing to watch. He really gets into it. Wagging his arse like a dog during 'the bulldog is a poodle' bit and such. Almost everyone on the floor was sitting down for this one (at least in rows six and up, dunno what was going on behind me) and I used this to my advantage. Sang along to the whole thing. There's a part in the song that goes like this: Oh George! Oh George! That Texas education must have fucked you up when you were very small! Roger was standing in front of my section, so I stood up and shouted along, pumping my hand up on every syllable. He noticed, and seemed to get a kick out of it!

Sheep was also awesome. The whole band had fun on this one, along with the audience. You'd never think that yellow confetti and an inflatable pig could whip people up into such a frenzy, but boy did it ever! I didn't really pay much attention to the pig (I'd already seen it last year) and got in some more eye contact with ol' Rog instead. Sheep is my favourite Pink Floyd song, so it meant a lot to me.

The Dark Side set was also incredible. Everyone was on top form. Ian especially. His playing on Us And Them sent shivers up my spine! Don't know what Roger ever did without Ian prior to this tour. The man is an amazing sax player. One of the highlights was definitely Carol Kenyan doing Great Gig In The Sky. She's incredible. To see her belting out that one five rows away...nothing short of incredible. Everyone loved it! There was a woman standing two seats to the right of me who looked like she was going to flatline right there and then. The new videos used were brilliant. On The Run is enough to give you an epileptic fit. And Any Colour You Like is gorgeous! The colour on that screen is pristine. Perfect. The prism above the stage came out during the end of that song and stayed there until Eclipse. Man, that thing was incredible. They used a prism last year towards the end of the US leg, but it wasn't a laser prism! This is a fucking laser prism. I wish I had gone back a few rows to see it better. My neck still hurts from trying to see it from where I was.

The encore. Oh man, the encore... Had my greatest concert experience ever, there. The friend I met up with before the show and during intermission (what a great guy) brought me up to front row, slightly to the right of centre. Oh, it was incredible. If I didn't have the pictures, I would have thought I'd been dreaming. I really can't describe what it feels like to be standing about a metre from Roger Waters. I mean, for goodness' sake, the man wrote the lyrics for Billboard's longest-charting album ever. He's one of rock's biggest legends. And he was one metre away. It was so surreal. I didn't even bother looking at any other members of the band. Just danced there with everyone else at the front and sang along with a side-splitting grin on my face. Then, during Comfortably Numb...oh man. During the chorus, Roger was moving towards the right away from the microphone. I was singing along and swaying from side to side, completely lost in it all. Roger noticed, stopped right in front of me, looked directly into my eyes, grinned, and mouthed the words with me. It could have only lasted three or four seconds, but it felt like an eternity. It was so fucking incredible. There is nothing quite like singing along to one of your favourite songs with your favourite songwriter. Nothing like it at all.

And because of that moment, no other concert will ever top it.

Photos:

In The Flesh

P.P. Arnold during Perfect Sense

Leaving Beirut

Dave, Snowy, Roger and Ian during Sheep. Classic Waters pose!

"DO YOU STILL LIKE OUR PIG?! He's an old pig, but he's still a big pig!" Even after over twenty years, that quote still works!

On The Run

Hi, Rog!

More photos/video to come.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:44 PM   #191
ONE
love, blood, life

Photos continued:

Fireworks during In The Flesh

Roger gesturing to the crowd during The Fletcher Memorial Home

Any Colour You Like

The end of Dark Side

The prism with the lasers shooting out of it.

Front row, Another Brick In The Wall

Ian, Roger and Andy

Bring The Boys Back Home (with some leftover smoke from the cannon explosions)

DRUMROLL! My favourite picture:

Why is this my favourite? Because I snapped it right after Roger and I sang that bit of Comfortably Numb together. He still has a bit of the smile left on his face, bless him!
Old 06-08-2007, 05:50 PM   #192
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:11 AM
That sounds like the greatest thing ever in the history of declaring "the greatest thing ever"

I'm glad you got to experience that, Steph!
Old 06-08-2007, 05:56 PM   #193
Refugee

nothing beats floor!! It's great that you've had quite an amazing night!!

and not that it's important but you got way clearer shots than I did and we must've been around the same distance, what camera did you use if you don't mind?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:10 PM   #194
ONE
love, blood, life

Thanks, LMP. Yeah, it pretty much is the most amazing thing ever. I could probably die quite happily, knowing that I've sung along to Comfortably Numb with the man who wrote it smiling at me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mofo
nothing beats floor!! It's great that you've had quite an amazing night!!

and not that it's important but you got way clearer shots than I did and we must've been around the same distance, what camera did you use if you don't mind?
Thanks, Mofo! You're right, nothing beats floor tickets. The two most-enjoyable concerts I've ever seen (Roger Hodgson of Supertramp and this one) have been on the floor.

And I've got a Canon PowerShot A540, 6.0 mega pixels. It's a great little camera. Some issues with the zoom, though...I mean, I took about 200 photos at that show and only 90 of them came out okay. My first photo from front row came out like absolute shit!

Damn blurry pictures.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:16 PM   #195
Refugee

yeah it's a bit difficult taking good shots at a concert, I'm curious because I'm planning on buying a new one and I ALWAYS sneak in my cameras to concerts so I really need a good one with a great autofocus and a good zoom but thanks!!

And 3 months after seeing Roger Waters I stand by my initial claim the best freaking concert I've seen

Tags
pink floyd, roger waters