roddy woomble - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-30-2006, 09:46 PM   #1
New Yorker
 
DiGi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: the mountains of southwest VA
Posts: 2,818
Local Time: 02:11 AM
roddy woomble

this may be old news as i have been MIA for a while, but for those of you who are idlewild fans, their lead singer has an album coming out pretty soon...

http://www.roddywoomble.com/

there is a sample here

http://www.myspace.com/rwoomble
__________________

__________________
DiGi is offline  
Old 06-30-2006, 09:57 PM   #2
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 12:11 AM
Holy crap, DiGi! I was just wondering the other day where you'd been. Glad to see you! I knew he had a solo effort coming out, I didn't know of either of these sites though! I will go listen and report back.

__________________

__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 06-30-2006, 11:32 PM   #3
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 12:11 AM
Wow, I definitely like that sample. This actually has gotten me more excited for the album, I was scared for a while that it wouldn't be accessable or that I wouldn't like it. This is flat out great though, I'm pumped.

DiGi, let me know how you're going to have it imported to the US. We can try to find the fastest/cheapest method between us.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 06-30-2006, 11:41 PM   #4
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 12:11 AM
Ok, I've listened to this song 3 times in a row. Love it, it's beautiful. A full album of songs like this will be amazing. I'm not sure if I dare say this............I honestly think this tune is as good if not better than some recent Idlewild songs.


"Look out across the wall and into the Atlantic"
__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 06-30-2006, 11:48 PM   #5
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 12:11 AM
Ok, I promise this is my last unanswered comment here.

Anyways, I got searching around Idlewild's site and read this from Roddy's journal entry he added 4 days ago:

"Start recording the sixth Idlewild long player next week. We're recording most of the basic tracks/songs in our rehearsal space which is an exciting prospect. Don't get me wrong, I like recording studios and I'm grateful for having been inside so many good ones, but this time around we felt we could do the songs their justice recording them in the place we wrote them and play them everyday. Dave Eringa, the bearded zen master from Essex (and producer of '100 broken windows' and 'The remote part') is once again manning the make shift decks this time around. It'll be cool, I think the new tunes sound a lot like '100 broken windows' crossed with the Allman Brothers. Then again, I could be wrong."

I don't think I could possible be happier to hear they're back with Dave Eringa and that he's comparing the tracks to 100 Broken Windows. x10000000

Sounds like they have yet another new bass player.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 07-01-2006, 03:27 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life
 
yertle-the-turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: York, UK and Singapore
Posts: 11,750
Local Time: 02:11 PM
I heard about the Woomble solo album recently, apparently it's really folky.

Off to check it out.

Edit: Ooh, I see he's got Kate Rusby (English folk singer) on vocals somewhere in his album. Should be good.
__________________
yertle-the-turtle is offline  
Old 07-01-2006, 07:24 AM   #7
New Yorker
 
DiGi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: the mountains of southwest VA
Posts: 2,818
Local Time: 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
Ok, I promise this is my last unanswered comment here.

Anyways, I got searching around Idlewild's site and read this from Roddy's journal entry he added 4 days ago:

"Start recording the sixth Idlewild long player next week. We're recording most of the basic tracks/songs in our rehearsal space which is an exciting prospect. Don't get me wrong, I like recording studios and I'm grateful for having been inside so many good ones, but this time around we felt we could do the songs their justice recording them in the place we wrote them and play them everyday. Dave Eringa, the bearded zen master from Essex (and producer of '100 broken windows' and 'The remote part') is once again manning the make shift decks this time around. It'll be cool, I think the new tunes sound a lot like '100 broken windows' crossed with the Allman Brothers. Then again, I could be wrong."

I don't think I could possible be happier to hear they're back with Dave Eringa and that he's comparing the tracks to 100 Broken Windows. x10000000

Sounds like they have yet another new bass player.
I read that on Thursday and I felt the same way. If the album turns out as described its gonning to be awesome.

As for the My Secret is My Silence I looked on Amazon.co.uk and did not see it yet, but the idlewild site has it for preorder and with the current conversion it looks to be about $22 US at this time.
__________________
DiGi is offline  
Old 08-09-2006, 12:27 PM   #8
New Yorker
 
DiGi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: the mountains of southwest VA
Posts: 2,818
Local Time: 02:11 AM
mofo - i finally got this the other day. I have listened one time through so far.

I really can't imagine you would be disappointed at all with this record.
__________________
DiGi is offline  
Old 08-09-2006, 12:32 PM   #9
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 12:11 AM
I've been lazy and still haven't imported this or James Dean Bradfield's (from Manic Street Preachers) solo albums yet.

Still very "Idlewild-ish" or is it a departure? The one song on MySpace in some ways seemed like it could have possibly been an Idlewild song, as in it wasn't too drastically different. Look forward to hearing your impressions and then finally hearing it all for myself too!
__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 08-09-2006, 08:59 PM   #10
New Yorker
 
DiGi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: the mountains of southwest VA
Posts: 2,818
Local Time: 02:11 AM
ok after another listen I would say there is maybe one or two song that sounds like idlewild. The majority of the record has a celtic theme to it. Lots of violin, which I like and a very folky theme as well. The slower songs have nice harmonies. This record is going to grow on me a lot I think.

Mofo - your avatar is nothing less than awesome.
__________________
DiGi is offline  
Old 08-11-2006, 12:54 AM   #11
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DiGi
ok after another listen I would say there is maybe one or two song that sounds like idlewild. The majority of the record has a celtic theme to it. Lots of violin, which I like and a very folky theme as well. The slower songs have nice harmonies. This record is going to grow on me a lot I think.

Mofo - your avatar is nothing less than awesome.
Very cool, can't wait to hear it.


Thank you, I'm glad you also like it.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 08-30-2006, 03:18 AM   #12
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 12:11 AM
For those of you (like me) who still don't have the album, I found 'Every Line of a Long Moment' in mp3 form on a blog (along with a very cool picture of Roddy):

http://crackersunited.com/blog/index...ence/#comments

Yeah, I need to buy this album really soon (as I just listened to this track 5 times in a row).


Roddy had some pretty funny stuff to say about the new Idlewild album/movie name (which HG and I have been bitching about lately):

Not sure what's up with this new Outkast album. keep seeing posters for it and thinking I've forgotten about a concert. Not that it's likely Idlewild would play a show with Andre 3000 and Big Boi (what a stupid name). Maybe when our new LP comes out next February some unfamiliars will think we're some sort of Outkast tribute. Could be interesting. Probably won't be.


And then made me sexcited for the new album:

September is full of finishing off our new record. It's got a name now, as do all the songs, but I'll keep you in suspense for a few more months. It's also very good (again, if I say so myself). Lots of good riffing and soloing from Rod and Allan, some tasty swing and kraut rock flourishs from Colin and Gareth, and some interesting lyrics, quite misplaced, in a good way. I'm almost positive you'll all enjoy it for a long time.


__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 08-30-2006, 11:57 PM   #13
New Yorker
 
DiGi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: the mountains of southwest VA
Posts: 2,818
Local Time: 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo

And then made me sexcited for the new album:

September is full of finishing off our new record. It's got a name now, as do all the songs, but I'll keep you in suspense for a few more months. It's also very good (again, if I say so myself). Lots of good riffing and soloing from Rod and Allan, some tasty swing and kraut rock flourishs from Colin and Gareth, and some interesting lyrics, quite misplaced, in a good way. I'm almost positive you'll all enjoy it for a long time.


[/B]
thats what i like to hear.
__________________

__________________
DiGi is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com