Rockstar Image!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamswildhoney

ONE love, blood, life
Okay heres the deal, I was watchin a show on Vh1 about Rockstars and their bodies and what they put themselves thro in order to be hip and cool.

So my question is this:

Does a Rockstars look really matter to you that much or is the music more important?

Im asking this question bc Im in the midst of starting a band and if we decide to go anywhere with the band, this one part of it makes me not want to make music. That fact of the matter is that Im not the best lookin girl out there and I never want to change or feel like I have to change bc of my profession!

:mac:

I'ma be honest.

It does matter to a certain extent.

I wouldn't say it's the most important thing fer me, but it's easier to pay attention to good lookin singers.

*shrug*

MonaVox said:
I'ma be honest.

It does matter to a certain extent.

Yep...but if you really want to make music, go for it. Nothing beats good ideas, good songs, good tunes. In the end, make yourself happy by being the best you you can be...that means in your songs and in your appearance. You can't go wrong.

I didn't pursue my dream of singing because of how I looked. In high school, I always wanted to try out for the musicals, but I felt I was too ugly to be onstage. The director ended up asking me to be in it one year because he said he needed my voice, but I only did it because I would be covered up by my nun costume. When he wanted me to wear a gown and be part of a ballroom dancing scene, I said no way...not with all of those beautiful people around me!

I don't think it really matters though...I've just always worried too much what other people thought. I regret passing up a lot of opportunities. I don't want you to feel that way because it's not a good feeling. Do what makes you happy. :)

I admit, there's a small percentage of bands I like where there's not a member that I find attractive. Of course I always hear the music first, that's what matters, but yea, image is part of the package. (Though of course there are loads of butt-ugly bands out there.)

Go for your dream, and f*$k the people who won't pay attention because of the way you look. :D

for me 'image' does not matter at all, for crying out loud I can 'dig' Bono's mullet days!!!!! but then again I am not interested in the look of the artist, if I do end up finding a certain artist rather good looking, for me it is because I have fallen for the way they sing or the words that they write, which is the case with Bono- give me a J-Tree era Bono any day.....when I heard the words to Pride I was hooked and when I saw him I realised that he was not to bad looking at all:)

however despite this when you look at most of the artists (if they can really be called that) who dominate the pop charts, I would go so far as to say that image is the number one priority and the music is secondary- I ask where would Britney be without her navel and old and young men alike drooling over her and young girls alike wanting to be like her.......

I all honesty I do think that if you are going to like someone's music for their image, well I think this is very superficial, but then again who am I to talk as I dont know how many times I have watched LOTR due to a rather nice looking elve:)

OzAurora said:
for me 'image' does not matter at all, for crying out loud I can 'dig' Bono's mullet days!!!!! but then again I am not interested in the look of the artist, if I do end up finding a certain artist rather good looking, for me it is because I have fallen for the way they sing or the words that they write, which is the case with Bono- give me a J-Tree era Bono any day.....when I heard the words to Pride I was hooked and when I saw him I realised that he was not to bad looking at all:)

So true! I fell in love with U2's music from hearing them on the radio, before I even knew what they looked like. When I did see them for the first time, in the With or Without You video, it was just an added bonus that Bono and Larry were hot!

Don't let some stereotype about what rock stars are supposed to look like stop you from following your dream, adamswildhoney. The media has some really wacky notions as to what constitutes beauty anyway. Some people might think Brittney Spears is attractive, but I don't find her pretty at all because when I look at her all I see is her fake, plastic personality and utter lack of talent.

Thanxs for all of the nice words that everyone said!

I totally agree with OzAurora bc yea with some of the groups I like I got into them bc of one guys looks but with most of the groups and singers that I like their appearance doesnt matter to me or the voice or whatever makes them more appealing to me!

Image doesn't matter to me. I :heart: music so much! There's tons of artist in English and in Spanish that I just LOVE... NOT because of the way they look but because their music kick ass! :D To me it's about the music really. I'm addicted to music..... if I love something it's because of the music! The being "atractive" and "hot" is just a HUGE added bonus for me!! Like U2 :sick: :drool: and Eddie of PJ! :drool: :cute:

it all depends really but i dont think it makes a difference to whether i pay more attention to a band or not.
its only an added bonus if i think the singer is a hottie :laugh:

i adore radiohead but don't really find any of them salivationworthy. it doesnt effect how much i love them at all.
with u2 its just a big major bonus that i find bono majorly attractive.
the music always comes first. i cant imagine liking a band just because u think the singer or drummer is cute.

While I think most true music fans don't have that "image is everything" mentality, it is unfortunate that the industry and media has this attitude. They will only put out an artist if that artist is good eye candy. You have to search a little deeper for indie artists who make quality music and are appreciated for that instead of how they look in a bikini.

Kelly, don't let your self image or anyone else's opinion of you get in the way of what you want to do. Start that band, create music that comes from your heart and soul, and other people will see the beauty in that.

I don't think it really matters (and this is coming from the girl who always goes on and on about British rockstars :rolleyes: ). Talent goes a LONG way in making someone look more attractive. In all honesty, if I saw Adam Clayton walking down the street and had never heard or seen U2, I probably wouldn't look at him twice. It's the fact that he's a band whose music means so much to me that makes him appeal to me. When you're confident in yourself and your ability, I think the "image" will create itself.

Cowgirl said:

i adore radiohead but don't really find any of them salivationworthy.

EXCELLENT point. :yes:

Another thing you have to remember, adamswildhoney, is that the kind of "fans" who would like your music primarily because of your appearance aren't really the fans you want to have. :)

Musical success can make you have an image as well. How many supermodels do you think Mick Jagger would have boinked over the last 40 yrs if he were a school teacher?
Pursue music for music first, worry about the other stuff later.

Hewson said:
How many supermodels do you think Mick Jagger would have boinked over the last 40 yrs if he were a school teacher?
bwahahahahahaha Hewson this is the funniest thing Ive read here in a bit :laugh: :laugh:

Hewson said:
Musical success can make you have an image as well. How many supermodels do you think Mick Jagger would have boinked over the last 40 yrs if he were a school teacher?

Good point...I find Mick Jagger to be very sexy, actually.

However...if he was just a stranger walking down the street...I don't think I'd feel the same way. :D

Charisma is more important than looks. Look at all the ugly people in music: Leonard Cohen, Mick Jagger, Adam Clayton, Colin Greenwood, Richard Ashcroft, Macy Gray......

You told me again you preferred handsome men
but for me you would make an exception.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
you fixed yourself, you said, "Well never mind,
we are ugly but we have the music."
(Leonard Cohen)

famous rungi said:
"Well never mind, we are ugly but we have the music." [/i] (Leonard Cohen)

Boys who do music are
1ylflame.gif

There's something about that knowledge....I dunnno wot it is. It's DEFinitely intriguing :shifty: and really
1ylflame.gif

Wilco is one of my favorite bands EVER but I don't think any of the guys are attractive.... when it comes to a live deal, though, an easy way to feel connected to the performer --since you prob don't REALLY know them, you know?--is in some kind of attraction. Physical deal, charisma / stage presence deal....

I dunno, that's just what I think.

Back
Top Bottom