"Rock's Greatest Songwriters" ~ according to AOL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^

Don't you think that dying young and in a tragic manner has a lot to do with that? (that he gets named to lists he perhaps shouldn't be)

If he had found god or something and just quit the business, do you think he'd still be on so many lists?

IWasBored said:

edit: man, i was agreeing with you until i saw your springsteen comment. care to share why you don't think springsteen is a great songwriter? because unexplained, it makes you sound insane.

Haha, yeah, that's fair enough. As I said initially, this discussion is rather silly since it is totally subjective, and so is my relation to Bruce Springsteen's music. A few good tracks here and there but overall pretty uninteresting to me. The vast majority of his music sounds simple and noisy to me. But that's just poor old insane me. :wink:

Am I right that Bruce Springsteen's song writing is more acknowledged in America than in Europe? :shrug:

indra said:
^

Don't you think that dying young and in a tragic manner has a lot to do with that? (that he gets named to lists he perhaps shouldn't be)

If he had found god or something and just quit the business, do you think he'd still be on so many lists?

oh yes, and his mythology (for lack of a better term) will only grow just like Jimi, Janis and Jim Morrison and all the rest.

Never had a chance to get old and embarass themselves or just to merely take the edge off of the romanticism.

This is so retarded. How subjective is this kind of list? No Bob Marley? No Cure?
I put U2 way ahead of Led Zep, the Who, Rolling Stones especially since two of those artists only had creative peaks that lasted a few years.
Sure, Neil Young is wonderful but honestly, is he really better than U2?
I understand the Beatles being up high, although I disagree (Don't get me wrong, I love them).
Bob Dyland has written some of the greatest lyrics.

I was wondering the same about Marley, and I am not even a fan but I do recognize the influence his music has had......

but the list is not the end of the world,
in the end it is rather meaningless like the rest

what the FUCK is Kurt Cobain doing there?... :angry:

he should be like 156 or something...

I'm sure Axl Rose is Nº 12 :mad:

S.A.K said:
Leonard Cohen?
Nick Cave?
Tom Waits?

Where are they?

Not mainstream enough. The list was made by AOL after all. :shrug:

Why is Freddy Mercury not on that list? Anyone? Queen? *waves arms*

I'd give Queen #11 long before I'd give it to Cobain. And by long, okay, no, I mean long. Nirvana was good, but they weren't -that- good.

Back
Top Bottom