Rocking the FUCK out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

If you shout...

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
So, No Spoken Words was asking in the Chinese Democracy maybe-a-leak thread about hard-ass-rocking music, and a number of names came up. This isn't really my style, nor ever has it been, but I do listen to a horrible amount of music, and I do feel somewhat qualified to make some recommendations, as do a number of other, better-listened individuals. This thread is about suggesting and/or talking about bands which continue to fly the hard-as-fuck rock/metal flag. You needn't be as catchy as anything on Appetite For Destruction to get name-dropped, in here, but you need to rock at least that hard...or something. I don't know. Just talk about hard rock, God damn it! It's rarely discussed, around these parts, minus the hardcore prog-leaning side of the spectrum.

Talk about records. Talk about bands. Talk about singles or songs. Talk about concerts. Talk about it all.

Names which already came up:

3 Inches of Blood

Opeth

Pig Destroyer

Slayer

Anthrax

Mastodon

You know it's really funny because I was just thinking about this topic yesterday. When NSW brought it up, it got my mind turnin.

I do not listen to very much metal at all...if ever. Modern metal.

So I will give a list which kinda sorta flies in the face of your post, IYS, but it's all I've been exposed to.

So these are artists who might not be known primarily for Rocking the FUCK out but they can...and they will...

Pearl Jam - Do the Evolution
U2 - Miami
R.E.M. - Living Well Is the Best Revenge
My Morning Jacket - One Big Holiday, etc.
Tom Petty - Come on Down to My House
Hold Steady - Positive Jam/Most People are DJ's
Nirvana - Breed
Led Zeppelin - When the Levee Breaks
Celine Dion - My Heart Will Go On

I'm sure someone else will be able to give a FAR better list...one with, ya know, actual hard rock artists...but whatever.

This is off the top of my head at 7: 49 am after a night of god knows what.

Trust me, my style leans in different directions than this one, but, I'd be lying if I said that I did not occasionally like to listen to something that caused me to want to fight someone else. That's just how it is when you're from The Bronx. For now, everytime that mood strikes, I go right to Appetite for Destruction, but I'm looking for new alternatives.

Could this thread lead myself and others to a place where you rock the fuck out and never once apologize?

I'd love to mention some, but I'm the one doing the seeking here. There are songs that rock hard from artists I love that are not quite known for such a thing, but I'm loathe to bring them up.

In terms of "Rocking the fuck Out" I would suggest Psalm 69 by Ministry, it contains three tracks in particular:

New World Order :rockon:
Just One Fix :rockon:
Jesus Built My Hotrod :rockon:

OTFM. Forgot about that shit.

Early KMFDM would probably suit quite well anybody who's looking to destroy some life.

KMFDM indeed - their Angst and Nihil albums where their peak imo...

Other notable rocking albums off the top of my head:

Nine Inch Nails - Broken - with Wish, Happiness In Slavery and Physical

Tool - Undertow or Ænima - Undertow is the better album but Ænima contains my favorite Tool song; Stinkfist :rockon:

Clutch - Clutch (self titled) or Elephant Riders - their self-titled album rocks hard on pretty much every track but Elephant Riders has a song about a Dragon Fly that kicks all kinds of ass.

It's the only Clutch song I know well, and it's absolutely awesome. I assumed it was one of their popular ones. :reject:

Fuckin' brilliant thread mate! I was considering making one myself.

I'm not very into metal, though I'll certainly look into the bands mentioned (I must admit I do have a soft spot for Raining Blood... ) However I do listen to a lot of heavier stuff... some of it does fall under "nü-metal" which I'm assuming most of you think to be a lower art form (or the enemy of art :wink: ), and while the majority of it does fucking blow, there are some bands that I think transcend the inherent shittiness of the genre to rock the fuck out.

Like Chevelle...The Clincher :rockon: YouTube - Chevelle - The Clincher
NOW SATURATE!!!

I'll probably reply to this thread again later, but off the top of my head - some good rock the fuck out bands :

Deftones
Muse (Assassin, Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria, Agitated, Fury...)
Rage Against the Machine
System of a Down

The Fall of Troy and The Number 12 Looks Like You are absolutely INSANE... awesome guitarwork and plenty of screaming :D (I guess they're considered mathcore or something?? new prog?? Whatever)

speaking of mathcore...BOTCH FUCK YES

YouTube - Botch - Saint Matthew Returns To The Womb We Are The Romans. Get it. Now.

as for just a straight up "wow this fuckin rocks" track...Sludgefeast by Dinosaur Jr. :rockon:

Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine
AC/DC - Let there be rock
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Now I got worry
Oblivians - Popular favorites
Reigning Sound - Too much guitar
Dead Kennedys - Fresh fruit for rotten vegetables

You know it's really funny because I was just thinking about this topic yesterday. When NSW brought it up, it got my mind turnin.

I do not listen to very much metal at all...if ever. Modern metal.

So I will give a list which kinda sorta flies in the face of your post, IYS, but it's all I've been exposed to.

So these are artists who might not be known primarily for Rocking the FUCK out but they can...and they will...

Pearl Jam - Do the Evolution
U2 - Miami
R.E.M. - Living Well Is the Best Revenge
My Morning Jacket - One Big Holiday, etc.
Tom Petty - Come on Down to My House
Hold Steady - Positive Jam/Most People are DJ's
Nirvana - Breed
Led Zeppelin - When the Levee Breaks
Celine Dion - My Heart Will Go On

I'm sure someone else will be able to give a FAR better list...one with, ya know, actual hard rock artists...but whatever.

This is off the top of my head at 7: 49 am after a night of god knows what.

Usually when I make slightly still-drunk hungover posts I think they're ok but this one I am ashamed of.

Please disregard this post and continue on with the discussion.

Yeah, I thought the Celine Dion namedrop was a bit strange. :wink:

And I would have picked Scentless Apprentice over Breed.

Siamese Dream rocks the fuck out. Silver Fuck fucking pwns Rocking the Fuck Out.

Three Days by Jane's Addition builds up to one of the all time great rocking Fuck Outs. Nirvana's Breed kicks it hard. My favorite Ministry tune is Thieves. Some of Downward if Heavenward by HUM falls in here. Appetite rocks.

Also, there are the more "falling apart" types of rocking the fuck out, like the Pixies (Surfer Rosa, Dollittle -> Debaser), My Bloody Valentine - Loveless. Jesus and Mary Chain. Husker Du.

And then there's straight up, "I'm going fuck your earhole, monkey bitch" like the MC5 or the Misfits. Rage certainly rocks the fuck out. Some people really dig the Stooges, but I cna't get into them.

Also, standard blues / punk rythm based rocking the fuck out, like the Stones, Jet, Hives, the Clash, Zeppelin, Replacements. And of course - The D.

Back
Top Bottom