Rock n Roll Biographies.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2valleygirl

Refugee
So I'm interested in suggestions for summer reading. I would love any great rock n roll books. I have already read U2 At the End of the World. What else is good?

Learning How To Die by Greg Kot is supposed to be excellent, especially for Wilco fans.

Haven't read it myself, but I am considering it.

I'm about to start reading "Everything (A Book About Manic Street Preachers)." I've thumbed through and read bits and pieces already, and it looks fantastic. It was recommended to me by someone who isn't really familiar with the band's music, so I think that bodes well, seeing as how I own quite a few of their albums and love their music.

i rather enjoyed michael azzerad's nirvana bio "come as you are." marilyn manson's bio "the long hard road out of hell" is pretty interesting too, a whole lot of celebrity dirt on trent reznor, courtney love, & billy corgan, if you're into that sort of thing (and who isn't?) i'd also recommend michael azzerad's "our band could be your life" which depicts the 80s indie scene, with each chapter devoted to a seminal band (black flag, the replacements, fugazi) while i loathe the band, i have heard that the motley crue bio is also pretty interesting.

Oh, maybe Shakey the Neil Young bio. I've been told it's really good. I've been a slacker lately on the reading front :ohmy: but this one's on my list.

I Me Mine - George Harrison
No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs - John Lydon
Inside Out: Pink Floyd - Nick Mason

-The Kids Are Alright (about the who)
-Acording to the Rolling Stones-(by mick jagger keith richards charlie watts and ronnie wood)
-Rolling With the Stones(By Bill Wyman)

all very good

According to the Rolling Stones by the Rolling Stones

Elvis and Me by Priscilla Presley was really good if you are at all interested in Elvis and/or Priscilla and the lifestyle he/they led..a lot of personal things in there that were fun and interesting to read.

I forget the title but Brian Wilson's autobiography was good if you are a Beach Boys fan

I have heard that the Motley Crue book is good too, I haven't gotten around to it yet. I would also like to read TommyLand by Tommy Lee.

Rebel Heart by Bebe Buell was an interesting read (she was invovled in the whole 70's-80's rock scene, and slept with almost every big musician you can name. some funny stories in there), although I'm not sure I believe some of the things she said..

"U2 - At The End Of The World" by Bill Flanagan

"Heavier Than Heaven - A Biography Of Kurt Cobain" by Charles R. Cross

"R.E.M. Fiction" by David Buckley

"Down The Highway - The Life Of Bob Dylan" by Howard Sounes

"Behind The Shades - Revisited" by Clinton Heylin

"Please Kill Me - The Uncensored Oral History Of Punk" by Legs Mcneil and Gillian Mccain

"Shakey - Neil Young's Biography" by Jimmy Mcdonough

I just finished Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedos of The Red Hot Chile Peppers. Very light reading. I am surprised that guy is still alive.

The whole book was about his battle with drug abuse. His quest for adventure, he has done some pretty risky things, like jump off buildings for the hell of it. He also talks about groupies and takes us into great detail about every relationship he has ever had with a woman.

The book is now in paperback.

eric alterman - It Ain't No Sin To Be Glad You're Alive : The Promise of Bruce Springsteen

So You Wanna Be a Rock & Roll Star: How I Machine-Gunned a Roomful of Record Executives and Other True Tales from a Drummer's Life by Jacob Slichter (Semisonic)

elevation2u said:
^ :hmm: i've always wondered if thatw as any good ... my boyfriend has it:angry:

i have dave marsh's Born to Run... it has cool pictures:wink:

i thought it was pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom