Rock Hall Inductees Announced

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2ME3

Refugee
Let's hope the Clash plays!

Cleveland

Police, AC/DC To Join Rock Hall Ranks

November 7, 2002

Three British exports from rock's "new wave" of the late 1970's; The Police, The Clash, and Elvis Costello and the Attractions; will join the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next year.

They'll be inducted along with the "blue-eyed soul" singing Righteous Brothers and Australian hard rockers AC/DC.

The 18th annual Hall of Fame induction ceremony will take place March Tenth in New York. The hall is in Cleveland.

As is often the case with the rock hall, the ceremony has the potential for some tense reunions in tuxedos. Costello feuds with Attractions bassist Bruce Thomas, and both The Police and The Clash had bitter breakups.

Additional inductees in the "sidemen" and non-performer categories will be announced later.

? Associated Press and Dispatch Productions, Inc., 2002. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

I want nothing less than a full set from the police at the ceremony.:drool: :wave:

What a thought...the Clash playing live again...

I'd do just about anything to see THAT!

The only album that I love more than "Achtung Baby" is "London Calling." They were a magnificent band, and I was lucky enough to see them several times during the early 80's. One of the BEST bands EVER...

Diane
*counting the days until the Class of 2005 is announced!*

WOW! That's a great bunch of inductees. I like all of 'em. A Police reunion would be so cool. I hope it happens.

I wonder if Bono will be doing one of the induction speeches? I could easily see him doing it for the Clash, the Police or Elvis Costello. How do they choose who gives the induction speeches anyway? I've never been clear on that.

because I am an old bastard.

and i was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

i saw the clash and bo diddley in a 2600 seat auditorium.

what a show!

Yeeeaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought the official announcement would not come until December, and it would be 7 out of the 15! Its AWESOME to see the Police on this list! I hope there is a reunion! First time playing in public since June 15, 1986! Sting's recording his new album so he should not have a problem getting out there to play with Stewart and Andy. Their all still friends unlike some other bands, although playing live together or going on tour is not something the Police have done unlike many of these bands that have long since broken up! WOW, GREAT NEWS!:drool:

STING2 said:
Yeeeaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought the official announcement would not come until December, and it would be 7 out of the 15! Its AWESOME to see the Police on this list! I hope there is a reunion! First time playing in public since June 15, 1986! Sting's recording his new album so he should not have a problem getting out there to play with Stewart and Andy. Their all still friends unlike some other bands, although playing live together or going on tour is not something the Police have done unlike many of these bands that have long since broken up! WOW, GREAT NEWS!:drool:

I think they actually played a few tunes at sting's wedding in 1993....

shame I wasn't invited.:madspit:

I read somewhere that Stewart Copeland confirmed that the Police will play together at the induction ceremony. Now we just need for them to launch a reunion tour. Stewart and Andy want to do it. Just need to convince Mr. Sting LOL Might be difficult. ;)

Sha-MON

Bono's shades said:
WOW! That's a great bunch of inductees. I like all of 'em. A Police reunion would be so cool. I hope it happens.

I wonder if Bono will be doing one of the induction speeches? I could easily see him doing it for the Clash, the Police or Elvis Costello. How do they choose who gives the induction speeches anyway? I've never been clear on that.

LOL I just went to the Rock Hall on Thursday...and they show a film of some of the induction ceremonies. Bono's induction speech for Bob Marley was fantastic...and hilarious..."Sha-MON, Jah-MON, Soul-MON, Jamaica-MON, Rita's MON..."

They were rotating the music played over the PA in the museum store....The Police and the Clash, back and forth. A little tip-off, I guess!

Blue Room said:
I read somewhere that Stewart Copeland confirmed that the Police will play together at the induction ceremony. Now we just need for them to launch a reunion tour. Stewart and Andy want to do it. Just need to convince Mr. Sting LOL Might be difficult. ;)

I keep going back and forth on whether I would want to see a major tour by them now. I guess as long as stewert can still hit the drums like he used to....then it would be outstanding.

but if it was anything like zeppelin at live aid......:barf: :rant: :censored:

Jofo,

Stings wedding in August of 1992 was not open to or fully seen by the "Public". In addition it was not planned or rehearsed at all. As Any said, "3 drunk guys got up and jammed". There were some scenes of this shown briefly(a few seconds) on the Police "behind the music" on VH1 with another old Police show dubbed in to provide the sound. About 200 people at Sting's wedding saw this. So most people do not consider this to be an official reunion including the band. But I see how others would still see otherwise.

The Police will be playing 3 songs according to Stewart for the induction party. Stewart also said they might play at a Concert for Nelson Mondella, but Sting has yet to commit. Sting and Andy have both said that if Sting does not play with them their going to ask Bono to sing with them.

police setlist for induction ceremony:

1. message in a bottle
2. king of pain
3. so lonely

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

mmmmm..... considering there can only be 3 songs, that would be a killer set. I'll have to think some more about a combination that would top it. You know they are definitely going to play Message in A Bottle.

Back
Top Bottom