Rock Hall 08 Nominees - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 8,953
Local Time: 09:42 AM

Well, it's very cool that Madonna, John Mellencamp and Leonard Cohen got into the HOF, but the Beastie Boys should've gotten in too.
__________________

__________________
MrPryck2U is offline  
Old 12-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #92
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,047
Local Time: 01:42 AM
I'm delighted that The Ventures are in. Couldn't give a shit about the rest.
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 12-15-2007, 11:12 PM   #93
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
I'm delighted that The Ventures are in. Couldn't give a shit about the rest.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 12-15-2007, 11:21 PM   #94
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,813
Local Time: 06:42 AM
The Beasties are friggin awesome. Shame they didn't make it, but they aren't really all that rock n' roll anyway.

Mellencamp
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline  
Old 12-16-2007, 03:52 AM   #95
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 20,953
Local Time: 03:42 PM
More Madonna worship.
__________________
U2girl is offline  
Old 12-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #96
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,007
Local Time: 06:42 AM
Worship? I'd say the combination of influence, innovation, resilience, and album sales makes her a worthy candidate as any, especially when it seems every doo-wop group that ever existed is able to get in.
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 12-16-2007, 11:14 AM   #97
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 20,953
Local Time: 03:42 PM
Yes, worship, meaning MTV Icon, "queen of pop" etc. sucking up into infinity every time her name is brought up. You'd think she's up there with the likes of Beatles, Elvis, Dylan. I oculd think of far more influential women in music.

I will give her the ability of reinventing herself (I wonder if "adoption mommy of the year" is a phase too), but the real reason she's around for this long is because she had the same idea first (even it had more brains behind it) that the minions like Britney, Paris & co (and pretty much any female singer on MTV) use: sex/controversy sells. As far as actual music ability, I doubt she'll ever be remembered for songwriting and/or singing (I think Ray of Light - which I liked - saved her career musically).
__________________
U2girl is offline  
Old 12-16-2007, 11:45 AM   #98
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,007
Local Time: 06:42 AM
Ray of Light did save her career, to be sure. And while she's never been regarded as a great singer, she can carry a tune. As for writing, she's co-written all of her material as far back as Like a Prayer, if I'm not mistaken, which is more than you can say for a great deal of artists who are in the Hall of Fame. She also learned to play a little guitar this decade to give her music another layer, authentic personailty. The point is that the reinvention wouldn't mean anything if there wasn't something substantial behind it. There's nothing phony about her exploration of sex in Erotica, her newfound spirituality through motherhood on Ray of Light, her political defiance on American Life, etc.

Also, seeking out new club sounds and working with them before they become trendy, always riding the wave of the moment is not something easily managed, and she's done it time and time again. When you compare her to acts like Britney, Paris, etc. you're doing her a disservice because Madonna has always been much deeper--she's much more of an artist than those teeny-boppers (something she never really was).
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 12-16-2007, 12:00 PM   #99
War Child
 
Butterscotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 716
Local Time: 02:42 PM
The Hall is going more and more for popularity and commericalism every year instead of substance.
__________________
Butterscotch is offline  
Old 12-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #100
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,730
Local Time: 06:42 AM
I was coming in here to defend Madonna's rightful place in the HOF, but lazarus beat me to it.

Well said.

__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 12-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #101
Blue Crack Distributor
 
LarryMullen's POPAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Posts: 53,698
Local Time: 09:42 AM
I really am not getting all the Madonna bashing in here, but oh well.

She's in and I think it's great.
__________________
LarryMullen's POPAngel is offline  
Old 12-16-2007, 12:45 PM   #102
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,813
Local Time: 06:42 AM
Madonna is cool, but it's just one more artist that isn't remotely rock n' roll in the Rock Hall.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline  
Old 12-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #103
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,730
Local Time: 06:42 AM
Well, you could nitpick the genres of pop and rock and roll until you're blue in the face, but I think it's pretty pointless.

The HOF is obviously using a broader definition of "rock and roll" that goes beyond three chords played loudly by a bunch of white dudes.
__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 12-16-2007, 01:10 PM   #104
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
Ray of Light did save her career, to be sure. And while she's never been regarded as a great singer, she can carry a tune. As for writing, she's co-written all of her material as far back as Like a Prayer, if I'm not mistaken, which is more than you can say for a great deal of artists who are in the Hall of Fame. She also learned to play a little guitar this decade to give her music another layer, authentic personailty. The point is that the reinvention wouldn't mean anything if there wasn't something substantial behind it. There's nothing phony about her exploration of sex in Erotica, her newfound spirituality through motherhood on Ray of Light, her political defiance on American Life, etc.

Also, seeking out new club sounds and working with them before they become trendy, always riding the wave of the moment is not something easily managed, and she's done it time and time again. When you compare her to acts like Britney, Paris, etc. you're doing her a disservice because Madonna has always been much deeper--she's much more of an artist than those teeny-boppers (something she never really was).
Well said! Just to be a Madonna nerd for a second, she actually started co-writing every song on "True Blue" and also wrote a couple on "Madonna" and "Like A Virgin".

From what I've heard her co-writers usually serve more like editors and most of the writing is done by Madonna herself. Her voice has improved greatly over the years, and I've always liked her "live" voice much better than her "studio" voice. It's much more raw and pure sounding.
__________________
U2isthebest is offline  
Old 12-16-2007, 01:10 PM   #105
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Well, you could nitpick the genres of pop and rock and roll until you're blue in the face, but I think it's pretty pointless.

The HOF is obviously using a broader definition of "rock and roll" that goes beyond three chords played loudly by a bunch of white dudes.
QFT.
__________________

__________________
U2isthebest is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com