Rock Hall 08 Nominees - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2007, 06:44 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:38 PM
Madonna, The Beasties and John Mellencamp should get in. I think Donna Summer will probably get in too.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:53 PM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:38 AM
Anyone surprised that Joy Division/New Order haven't made it yet?

I would have thought they were well known enough to get enough votes.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:03 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
Anyone surprised that Joy Division/New Order haven't made it yet?

I would have thought they were well known enough to get enough votes.
I totally agree.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:42 PM   #34
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:38 AM
umm... another older band not in the RNR HOF is Chicago. They've been around now for 40 years.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:45 PM   #35
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:38 AM
Whose country is this?

Good for the Beastie Boys, I've always dug them, but it's a shame ELO, Genesis, and Yes get buttfucked from contention every year.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:46 PM   #36
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64

You beat me to it! Not saying I'm a fan, but KISS should be considered as well. They are a cultural phenomenon in their own right. And way past 25 years. Why aren't they even nominated (just like Yes, Genesis, Rush,...)
:

Don't even get me started. It seems that that the person who "runs" the RRHF (can't remember his name, he's also the founder of Rolling Stone Magazine) Just plain and simple can't stand Prog. I'm not sure about why Kiss keeps getting passed over. They are definitely R&R, without a doubt. But Yes, Genesis, Rush will probably never happen. I like Donna Summer but she is not Rock and Roll. Its a joke.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:53 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by rushu2
:
Don't even get me started. It seems that that the person who "runs" the RRHF (can't remember his name, he's also the founder of Rolling Stone Magazine) Just plain and simple can't stand Prog.
I didn't know that they were the same person. Though you can really tell with Rolling Stone Magazine. I don't think there was a single prog album in the 500 greatest album list. God how Rolling Stone hates prog.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:54 PM   #38
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

They'll suck at the tits of any R&B act from the '50s though. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but you've got to acknowledge all facets of rock, not just whatever you deem worthy for your rock music pantheon.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:00 PM   #39
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by rushu2
:

Don't even get me started. It seems that that the person who "runs" the RRHF (can't remember his name, he's also the founder of Rolling Stone Magazine) Just plain and simple can't stand Prog.
Well it's over 500 voters, so it's not just this one guy...
Old 09-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #40
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

I didn't know that they were the same person. Though you can really tell with Rolling Stone Magazine. I don't think there was a single prog album in the 500 greatest album list. God how Rolling Stone hates prog.
I did a quick internet search and his name is Jann Wenner. I did find one prog album in the top 500 (a quick skim) - Jethro Tull, Aqualung at 337 - Gee thanks, (let's throw
one in there so we seem at least somewhat legitimate). I think I remember this Wenner guy saying that Rush gave him a headache and never did anything innovative. Whatever. I guess this guy is also a total worm and when the academy voted Dick Clark Five in last year - he vetoed it!

A friend of mine who was a roadie for several band in the 80's (the Knack, the Smithereens) is always trying to get me to go to the Rock Hall, but I refuse! They have passed over way too many influential, talented individuals and bands to have any legitamacy.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:25 PM   #41
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Well it's over 500 voters, so it's not just this one guy...
Yes, it is this one guy. If you google it - you'll find that he constantly vetoes other people when they vote (the Dave Clark 5 last year as an example). He wants to re-write history according to his vision of "what was supposed to happen". This is not to denigrate any of the members of the rock hall at all. They are all very talented. But they constantly pass over some very influential, talented, creative artists simply because they don't fit this "Jann Wenner's" view of what was supposed to happen according to him!
Old 09-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #42
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I did google it, and all I got was the Monkees claiming he vetoed their induction and then found this:

"Wenner did not return a call for comment. But a Rolling Stone rep and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame president Joel Peresman both denied Tork's charges, insisting Wenner had no influence on the voting committee and no power to veto who got in. They suggested Tork's beef was a stab at getting free publicity for his new record. That said, The Monkees have never been nominated."

So I don't know. I found no proof he could veto.

Any links?
Old 09-29-2007, 02:32 AM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:38 PM
Leonard Cohen.

Of course the "queen" of (overrated) pop has to be there too.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:30 AM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:38 PM
Whee, it's the usual yearly RARHOF induction thread!!!!

"Hey, why aren't ____________ in the HOF yet! They fucking rock so much more than ______________!!!"

"What the fuck, how can _________ be nominated, they're not rock and roll, mannn."

"WHY ISN'T NIRVANA IN THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME YET!!! FUCK THE HALL OF FAME!"
Old 09-29-2007, 02:09 PM   #45
Refugee

Local Time: 10:38 AM
Yes, Genesis, Rush, not being in blows me away. The fan base and record sales of the latter two are huge.

Out of this year's selection, I'm glad John Cougar is in there and I love Madonna but there seems to be a fine line between rock n roll and pop. Same goes for the Beastie Boys...I can't stand them so my opinion is clouded in bias. Them before Genesis....Rush???