Rock Hall 08 Nominees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lazarus said:
Anyone surprised that Joy Division/New Order haven't made it yet?

I would have thought they were well known enough to get enough votes.

I totally agree.

Whose country is this?

Good for the Beastie Boys, I've always dug them, but it's a shame ELO, Genesis, and Yes get buttfucked from contention every year.

Lila64 said:

You beat me to it! Not saying I'm a fan, but KISS should be considered as well. They are a cultural phenomenon in their own right. And way past 25 years. Why aren't they even nominated (just like Yes, Genesis, Rush,...) :shrug:
:

:mad: Don't even get me started. It seems that that the person who "runs" the RRHF (can't remember his name, he's also the founder of Rolling Stone Magazine) Just plain and simple can't stand Prog. I'm not sure about why Kiss keeps getting passed over. They are definitely R&R, without a doubt. But Yes, Genesis, Rush will probably never happen. I like Donna Summer but she is not Rock and Roll. Its a joke.:grumpy:

rushu2 said:
:
:mad: Don't even get me started. It seems that that the person who "runs" the RRHF (can't remember his name, he's also the founder of Rolling Stone Magazine) Just plain and simple can't stand Prog.

I didn't know that they were the same person. Though you can really tell with Rolling Stone Magazine. I don't think there was a single prog album in the 500 greatest album list. God how Rolling Stone hates prog. :tsk:

They'll suck at the tits of any R&B act from the '50s though. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but you've got to acknowledge all facets of rock, not just whatever you deem worthy for your rock music pantheon.

rushu2 said:
:

:mad: Don't even get me started. It seems that that the person who "runs" the RRHF (can't remember his name, he's also the founder of Rolling Stone Magazine) Just plain and simple can't stand Prog.

Well it's over 500 voters, so it's not just this one guy...

Screwtape2 said:

I didn't know that they were the same person. Though you can really tell with Rolling Stone Magazine. I don't think there was a single prog album in the 500 greatest album list. God how Rolling Stone hates prog. :tsk:

I did a quick internet search and his name is Jann Wenner. I did find one prog album in the top 500 (a quick skim) - Jethro Tull, Aqualung at 337:slant: - Gee thanks, (let's throw
one in there so we seem at least somewhat legitimate). I think I remember this Wenner guy saying that Rush gave him a headache and never did anything innovative. Whatever. I guess this guy is also a total worm and when the academy voted Dick Clark Five in last year - he vetoed it!

A friend of mine who was a roadie for several band in the 80's (the Knack, the Smithereens) is always trying to get me to go to the Rock Hall, but I refuse! They have passed over way too many influential, talented individuals and bands to have any legitamacy.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well it's over 500 voters, so it's not just this one guy...

Yes, it is this one guy. If you google it - you'll find that he constantly vetoes other people when they vote (the Dave Clark 5 last year as an example). He wants to re-write history according to his vision of "what was supposed to happen". This is not to denigrate any of the members of the rock hall at all. They are all very talented. But they constantly pass over some very influential, talented, creative artists simply because they don't fit this "Jann Wenner's" view of what was supposed to happen according to him!

I did google it, and all I got was the Monkees claiming he vetoed their induction and then found this:

"Wenner did not return a call for comment. But a Rolling Stone rep and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame president Joel Peresman both denied Tork's charges, insisting Wenner had no influence on the voting committee and no power to veto who got in. They suggested Tork's beef was a stab at getting free publicity for his new record. That said, The Monkees have never been nominated."

So I don't know. I found no proof he could veto.

Any links?

Whee, it's the usual yearly RARHOF induction thread!!!!

"Hey, why aren't ____________ in the HOF yet! They fucking rock so much more than ______________!!!"

"What the fuck, how can _________ be nominated, they're not rock and roll, mannn."

"WHY ISN'T NIRVANA IN THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME YET!!! FUCK THE HALL OF FAME!"

Yes, Genesis, Rush, not being in blows me away. The fan base and record sales of the latter two are huge.

Out of this year's selection, I'm glad John Cougar is in there and I love Madonna but there seems to be a fine line between rock n roll and pop. Same goes for the Beastie Boys...I can't stand them so my opinion is clouded in bias. Them before Genesis....Rush???

Last edited:
leonard cohen deserves to be in, I don't think anyone else does

however, what about Genesis, I don't get why they haven't been even nominated yet.

If I got to vote I would vote for Cohen without batting an eye. Madonna has had tremendous influence on female pop singers throughout her career (although personally I think her influence hasn't been particularly good), so I probably would grudgingly vote for her. Mellencamp -- I don't know. He certainly fits the fame aspect, but he has always struck me as a not-as-talented Springsteen wannabe.

It is ridiculous that not only do they induct every year no matter what, but every year they induct five, most of the time they're other influential musicians that have nothing to do with rock, or just successful junk. This year R.E.M. was certainly the only necessary inductee.

phanan said:

Looks to be a good year to induct some overlooked artists from years gone by, like Yes, Genesis, and ELO.

Stevie Ray Vaughan's first year of eligibility.

It's a shame that in almost all discussion of this year's nominations, the one band actually deserving to get in, The Ventures, is largely overlooked.

And regarding the article in the original post, FFS, The Ventures are not surf rock. They sure influenced the shit out of the genre, but they were not actually surf rock and were inspired by the likes of The Shadows.

Speaking of The Shadows, I do hope they're in the Hall Of Fame as they're only one of the single most influential bands ever.

no Sonic Youth or Joy Division

The Smiths are elegible already, aren't they?

but, I understand, I know My Bloody Valentine or Tortoise will never make it

MsMofoGone said:
Journey received a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame back in 2005.

Why haven't they ever gotten nominated for the HOF yet ?? They're long overdue.

We're talking about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame here, not the Cheese Hall of Fame. :wink:

I'll just bring back Red Rocks Edge as my avatar and you wouldn't dare touch me. :happy:

I'll threaten to set the All Blacks upon you. How about that? I can't say I'd want to get crushed under that rather intimidating forward pack.

I don't think I've heard any Chic. But I'm not surprised given the name.

Chic are THE best Disco group ever. "Good Times" is a Disco song that most treat as a rock song. You don't have to dance to it, but you're sure as hell going to dig it. Should really have the popularity of Le Freak.

Chic. :up:

But the Rock Hall is flawed because of no Husker Du or Big Star - among other things (a lot mentioned in this thread, like Joy Division).

I don't like prog rock personally, but feel it should definitely be represented. KISS and Madonna? That's a different story. They seem to be famous more for image than for music.

I can see inducting Chic. They were very influential. They were WAAAY more than a disco act. I think you could say the same for Donna Summer as well.

John Mellencamp should make it someday, even if he doesn't make it this time around. I never saw him as just a second-rate Springsteen.

Well, if Chic is acceptable because of their influence on dance culture and dance music, why not Madonna? Even if she spotted underground trends early instead of actually revolutionizing anything, I'd still argue that her songs have more depth to them than most pop music.

What the fuck did Michael Jackson do that was so great? You take away the videos and the dancing and I just see easily-digestible r&b for white people. He certainly isn't a great singer either. The actual musical output of Madonna is a hell of a lot better than what Jackson's career produced, even if she doesn't have a single album that's as revered as Thriller--I'd argue that Like a Prayer is just as good if not better.

And while something like writing and singing about sex might not seem like something that important, she certainly broke down barriers in pop music in that area. It's like discounting the impact that Elvis had--a performer that I'll point out wrote a much smaller fraction of his material than Madonna (who at co-wrote almost every song on every album), and aside from a handful of songs didn't play an instrument either.

Madonna's just an easy target because so much of her career was because of her brilliance at promoting herself and changing her image as her tastes evolved. But the testament is on the albums themselves, which represent nearly the peak of what pop music had to offer in every one of those years, save for the last couple releases. She's a first balloter if there ever was one.

Back
Top Bottom