"rock and roll" is music for the enslaved - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2006, 01:11 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:48 AM
"rock and roll" is music for the enslaved

"rock and roll" is music for the enslaved.

socially inept, unconscious citizens reflecting the intellect similiar to that of androids, who think they're "fighting back at the system".

rock and roll music is music for the enslaved.

discuss.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:14 AM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:48 AM
If rock and roll is for the enslaved, then write "slave" on my cheek and call me Prince!

Old 08-22-2006, 01:15 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

obviously i'm a fan of a lot of rock music too.

but think about it.

i forget who coined the phrase. was it tom waits? dylan? i can't recall. it was probably neither of them.

i thought it was interesting, nevermind who actually said it in the first place.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:21 AM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

Are there still people who would say their love for rock and roll equals "fighting back at the system"?

I agree with the quote in theory, but it sounds pretty antiquated.

Maybe there's a kid out there who thinks listening to AFI is rebellion because it's not the hip hop his classmates are listening to, but really AFI is just another conglomerate with a MySpace page, and the thought of that being rebellion is pretty silly.

But teenagers need to rebel, and if listening to some rock music makes them feel like a rebel, more power to them. It's a better outlet for their teen angst than burning down the local Kwik Trip.

Eh, I don't know if that makes sense. But I must go to bed, so that'll have to do.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:27 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

no, i understand what you mean.

but i think a lot of people think rock and roll is the voice of rebellion.

i don't believe it is.

if anything, it is THE voice of conformity. look at the people who generally listen to it.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:40 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

corporate/radio rock is THE WORST. even most modern rock is pretty bad.

seriously, anyone who listens to nickelback and thinks that they're all bad-ass or something, needs to have their head examined.

but there's still some good stuff being made that has elements of rock in it. like pretty much most of the stuff that you and i listen to, bear. but would you even call that rock?
Old 08-22-2006, 01:52 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 05:48 AM
Re: "rock and roll" is music for the enslaved

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
rock and roll music is music for the enslaved.
If anything, rock and roll has the potential of being the voice of the free. Rock and roll can be a rebellion against politics but also a rebellion against human nature. It can be like any other art form and shake the darkness and primal callings out. Rock and roll is surgery on one's own soul. The music can be as simple as punk rock or as complex as art rock but it will always be a blood stain calling to the vacuum it once filled. Rock and roll is the expression of the horror of existence, mortality and emotions. With only three chords and the truth. "Music for the enslaved?" No. Music that brings peace to pain cannot enslave, only save.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:56 AM   #8
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 05:48 AM
I don't think there's such thing as a voice of rebellion, or at least not practically speaking. How can the voice of 'the rebellion' transfer from the oppressed to the oppressor without using the language, the mannerisms, the medium, etc that the oppressor uses? It can't. To truly be understood, the oppressed must become uniform with the oppressor to communicate his/her oppression. In doing so, the oppressed becomes (at best) alien to both the dynamic nature of the rebellion itself (because he/she is now akin to the oppressor) and the figure of oppression (because he/she is telling the oppressor where to stick it).

If you leave this hypothetical oppressed/oppressor dynamic behind and just talk about conformity, it's impossible to escape. You can conform to the majority trend, or you can conform to the counter-trend, or you can conform to the counter-trend of the counter-trend, ad nauseum.

Realising this, as long as you're happy and like the music you're listening to, and the messages you're hearing, then who the hell cares what you're listening to because everyone else can shove it. Without making an absurd hyperbole, the names of the people with truly unique ideas throughout our history can probably fit on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper, but that doesn't mean that there haven't been intelligent, capable, visionary people. So what if most of the majority are, and always have been, complacent and dim? The world isn't turned on the whims of the general body of conformers, but by the exceptional particular individuals -- it just seems to me that we try to pass off our 'rock and roll' stars as these visionaries, when in truth none of them have any groundbreaking contributions to make and are in no way exceptional.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:57 AM   #9
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Maybe there's a kid out there who thinks listening to AFI is rebellion because it's not the hip hop his classmates are listening to, but really AFI is just another conglomerate with a MySpace page, and the thought of that being rebellion is pretty silly.

But teenagers need to rebel, and if listening to some rock music makes them feel like a rebel, more power to them. It's a better outlet for their teen angst than burning down the local Kwik Trip.
This seems appropriate:

The music of rebellion makes you want to rage
But it's made by millionaires who are nearly twice your age

- The Sound Of Muzak, Porcupine Tree

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-22-2006, 08:25 AM   #10
you are what you is

Local Time: 11:48 AM
I would say that the people who think they are "fighting back at the system" are seriously delusional
maybe enslaved to their delusional ideas even

everyone who takes music/rock and roll for what it is can get a lot out of it though
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-22-2006, 11:39 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm a gonna raise a fuss
I'm a gonna raise a holler

about a workin' all summer
just to try to earn a dollar

ev'ry time I call my Baby
try to get a date

my Boss says
No dice, Son,you gotta work late.

Sometimes I wonder what I'm a gonna do
but there ain't no cure for the Summertime Blues.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:22 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:48 PM
Rock and roll is still pretty useful as a soundtrack for attempted social change:

Quote:
Cui Jian reached the apogee of his popularity during the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989, when "Nothing to My Name" became an anthem to student protestors. Before the protests were violently broken up on June 4-5, Cui frequently appeared with the students and was affirmed by Wu'er Kaixi, one of the prominent leaders of the movement, as highly influential among young Chinese of the time. The following government crackdown forced many rock musicians, Cui Jian included, into hiding in the provinces. Surprisingly, sanctions proved relatively temporary and Cui was able to return to Beijing shortly afterward. In early 1990, he began his first rock tour entitled the "New Long March", with ten concerts scheduled in Zhengzhou, Wuhan, Xi'an, Chengdu and others. 1 million yuan was donated to help pay for the 1989 Asian Games. Probably because of the wild enthusiasm with which his tour was greeted, the latter half was cancelled by government order.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:08 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

seriously, this one star bullshit needs to stop.

someone's being a real prick.

[/offtopic]
Old 08-22-2006, 10:39 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Old 08-22-2006, 10:59 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

actually, it's a compliment, hitman.

anytime i can be lumped in with zedbetty by others, it means they think of us as being (at least close) on the same level.

i couldn't ask for much more, really.