Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - Sweet 16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Numb1075

ONE love, blood, life
The 16 finalists for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2006 are a diverse group with no breakout star.
Whatever you thought of earlier inductees like U2, Bruce Springsteen or Prince, they were automatics. Without demeaning any of this year's nominees, there's no automatic on a ballot that comprises, in alphabetical order, Black Sabbath, Blondie, the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Chic, the Dave Clark Five, Miles Davis, the J. Geils Band, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Lynyrd Skynyrd, John Mellencamp, the Sex Pistols, the Sir Douglas Quintet, the Patti Smith Group, Cat Stevens, the Stooges and Joe Tex.

The scope of this list partly reflects the fact that the candidate pool is now up to the late '70s, when, some argue, popular music was largely transitioning out of rock 'n' roll altogether.

Best-selling "rock" was devolving toward Foreigner and Journey, while top-40 radio was still awash in late disco and pop like the Captain and Tennille. New wave, punk and hip hop were moving into the void, but were still (in most cases) years from mainstream penetration.

That is to say, the rock 'n' roll river was dividing again, which means Hall voters must again decide which tributaries they do and don't consider worthy.

Punk/new wave. The Hall loves these guys - it's already voted in the Clash and Elvis Costello. Yet it's rejected Patti Smith several times, which would be inexplicable if the Hall hadn't always been uncomfortable with women. It took Ruth Brown and Brenda Lee forever to get in, and the Chantels are still waiting for their membership cards.

Rap. The Furious Five were turned down last year, though they deserve entry both for their music and influence. To be blunt, a lot of rockers just don't like rap.

Metal. Voters keep rejecting Ozzy. Ozzy says good, so what. But can he be kept out forever?
Miles Davis' nomination raises the question of how much he had to do with rock 'n' roll at all, and then there are "catch-up" artists overlooked in the past. The standout in that group this year is the Butterfield band with Mike Bloomfield - just ask Bob Dylan.

Whoever gets elected - voters pick five to seven inductees a year - it will be a diverse class, which is not by itself a weakness. It's the music's greatest strength.

But that still leaves the question of quality, because in the end you'd like to think "Hall of Fame" means something extraordinary, not just solid and good.

It's possible to love Doug Sahm's music to death, for instance, and still not consider him a Hall of Famer, and the same could be said for Joe Tex - except that since the Hall inducted Percy Sledge last year, how does it now keep Joe out?

Over the years, I've looked at Hall ballots and thought most nominees should get in. This year, I'm not sure I'd go for more than a third. But at least we're not looking at Air Supply.

What do you folks think?

Black Sabbath- Yes
Blondie - Er...I like them, but not really "Great".
the Paul Butterfield Blues Band - who?
Chic - No.
the Dave Clark Five - sold millions, but I'm not a fan
Miles Davis - Awesome, but Rock n Roll? I dunno.
J. Geils Band - why are they here?
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - Yes.
Lynyrd Skynyrd - I hate Skynyrd, but I know a lot of people love em..... pass.
John Mellencamp - I guess so.
Sex Pistols - meh. I guess so.
Sir Douglas Quintet - who?
Patti Smith Group - Yeah, probably.
Cat Stevens - His name is Youseff Islam, Thank you very much.
Stooges - Absolutely..
Joe Tex - did you make this guy up?

^:lol:

I don't understand why rap artists would be even considered for the ROCK AND ROLL hall of fame:ohmy:

If they want to include blues artists and rappers, why not call it the MUSIC Hall of Fame:scratch:

Black Sabbath is the only one of that group that belongs. They're the band of the '70's for heaven's sake. Miles Davis, I'll agree with if we're willing to stretch the definition of rock and roll.

why doesn't YES ever get nominated? They've been around for 30+ years. :huh:
And Genesis for that matter tho I prefer early Genesis myself

and from the list, I would think the only automatic in should be for Black Sabbath

Back
Top Bottom