Robert Smith and Ashlee Simpson Team Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdw3935

Refugee
Not sure if this has been posted yet or not, so forgive if it has.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20015768,00.html

Music News
Ashlee Finds the Cure?
Joe Simpson tells EW.com his daughter is collaborating with Robert Smith on her new album, as well as with Timbaland, John Legend, Kenna, and Chad Hugo of the Neptunes
JUST LIKE HEAVEN? The Cure's Smith and Simpson will try to make some beautiful music together, according to her dad, Joe
Smith: Robert Knight / Retna; Simpson: Sara De Boer / Retna
All About
Ashlee Simpson
By Leah Greenblatt

What happens in Austin, stays in Austin? Not when it's new-album news about Ashlee Simpson, straight from the horse's mouth! (Or, more accurately, the mouth of the horse's dad-slash-manager). At a late-night SXSW showcase by Ethiopian-born alt-pop artist Kenna, two of EW's intrepid reporters spotted Simpson père Joe, who filled us in on his daughter's plans for her upcoming 2007 release. The album involves Kenna (whose own album is due this June) and his buddy and producer Chad Hugo — a.k.a., the member of production über-duo the Neptunes who is not Pharrell Williams.

Mr. Simpson tells us Ashlee, Chad, and Kenna were in the studio writing songs earlier this month, and that she's also working with Timbaland, John Legend, and Tim Rice-Oxley of Brit sensations Keane, who teamed up with Gwen Stefani on ''Lonely Winter,'' one of the strongest, most reflective tracks on her recent Sweet Escape album.

The bigger shocker? Ashlee's also reportedly collaborating with Robert Smith. Yes, as in the legendary frontman of Alternative Nation icons the Cure. Could their mutual buddy, Fall Out Boy's Pete Wentz, be the connection? When asked by our west-coast counterpart Shirley Halperin, Wentz demurred. ''I doubt I had anything to do with it, 'cause they were friends since she was performing in Chicago [in London last year]. But I definitely only have good things to say about Ash — I think the collaboration could be great!'' Indeed; whatever these two Lovecats come up with, it's bound to be interesting!
Posted Mar 22, 2007

:huh:

GibsonGirl said:
Surely this is a hoax?

It's apparently not and...

airplane.jpg

You get the idea... :wink:

What if Ashlee's favorite album is "Disintegration"? Does that make her marginally more tolerable? :wink:

This is the second in what is hopefully a short series of embarrasments... Did you guys know that he guested on Korn's recent MTV Unplugged set?

Ever since I stumbled across a picture of him wearing coral-colored biking shorts, nothing about him surprises me.

But still........Ashlee Simpson???!!!!
:no:

Robert Smith + Ashlee Simpson :sad:

wait on second thought, who cares? Are all you planning on buying Simpson's next record and hate Smith? Seriously you're not going to hear the song, if Smith wants to do this good for him, he wants to work with Simpson so I wish him all the luck in the world, but I shall never let my ears hear it.

Irishteen said:
Robert Smith + Ashlee Simpson :sad:

wait on second thought, who cares? Are all you planning on buying Simpson's next record and hate Smith? Seriously you're not going to hear the song, if Smith wants to do this good for him, he wants to work with Simpson so I wish him all the luck in the world, but I shall never let my ears hear it.

no one is hating on Smith here.. I think we all are a little surprised and maybe disappointed. But we as fans, are certainly not going to stop liking Cure or Smith for that matter..

U2Fanatic4ever said:

no one is hating on Smith here.. I think we all are a little surprised and maybe disappointed. But we as fans, are certainly not going to stop liking Cure or Smith for that matter..

I'm just saying people sure do overreact, he teams up with an artist you hardly consider credible but what if he does (you're probably laughing right now), he's doing something different at least.

Reminds me of U2 with Mary J. Blige, people beg U2 to do something different and when they do, they are annoyed and call them sell outs because it's not what they wanted.

Well of course! U2 may only perform with artists that I have personally approved. Anything else is simply unacceptable... :tsk:

And for the record I dislike One with MJB because it's a terrible version of an already over-played song. One has become "the town bike" of the U2 catalogue; everyone gets a free ride….

There was nothing "different" or "new" about this version, if they had collaborated on a new original tune then I might have been more receptive but they simply choose to go back to the well…

As for Robert Smith, I have to say that I'm not a big fan but when compared to fucking Ashlee Simpson, I love the Cure with an unbridled passion...

I was a big Cure fan when I was a teen. This is rather shocking and depressing. I mean what in the WORLD do Robert Smith and Ashlee Simpson have in common??

elevated_u2_fan said:
Well of course! U2 may only perform with artists that I have personally approved. Anything else is simply unacceptable... :tsk:

And for the record I dislike One with MJB because it's a terrible version of an already over-played song. One has become "the town bike" of the U2 catalogue; everyone gets a free ride….

There was nothing "different" or "new" about this version, if they had collaborated on a new original tune then I might have been more receptive but they simply choose to go back to the well…

As for Robert Smith, I have to say that I'm not a big fan but when compared to fucking Ashlee Simpson, I love the Cure with an unbridled passion...

:lol:

And when U2 get your approval they will need a second approval from me... then maybe it will be acceptable.. :|

I also agree about One.. A way way overly played song before MJB got a hold of it.. Then she fuckin ruins it more with her version.. ugh..

Dear God, I'm a good Christian man
In your glory, I know you understand
That you gotta work hard and you gotta get paid
My girl's 13 but she don't act her age
She can sing like a bird in a cage
O Lord, if you could see her when she's up on that stage!

Back
Top Bottom