Robert De Niro sucks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haven't seen Ocean's 13. He probably didn't suck though, but I wouldn't know. But I do know that De Niro hasn't done anything in the past 10 years that even approaches Pacino's performances in The Insider, Insomnia, or hell, even The Devil's Advocate.

What Lies Beneath was Harrison Ford's last great movie role, I loved him in that.

Pacino was okay in Ocean's, nothing too spectacular. I still want my 2 hours back for sitting through The Devil's Advocate though.

LemonMacPhisto said:
What Lies Beneath was Harrison Ford's last great movie role, I loved him in that.

Thank you! Other than that he's basically played the same character over and over again... What pisses me off is that he so more cappable of something better..

I was just on IMDB and I found he was in some direct to video snowboarding movie called Water To Wine??? :huh:

Here is the synopsis:

The film is about half-documentary, half-comedy about a kid who is thought to be the top snowboarder in the world until the day he gets put in jail. When released, he's picked up by all the other top snowboarders in the world in a party van, and to celebrate, they all go up the mountain for a snowboard party. All of the snowboarders in the film are real people and the story is semi-true

And his character is (are you ready for this?): Jethro The Bus Driver :| I shit you not...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430754/

As much as I love Harrison Ford, here's his track record for good stuff:

Star Wars Episodes IV and V (did anyone else think he was more of a screw-up in VI?)
The Indy series
BLADE RUNNER!
Witness
Patriot Games / Clear and Present Danger
Air Force One
What Lies Beneath

I'll give him a break on shit like Frantic, Random Hearts, and Firewall because he was Han Solo AND Indiana Jones.

I freakin' love Patriot Games, I don't know what it is about that movie but I can watch it over and over again...

That scene in the Irish Pub when he threatens Richard Harris is beyond awesome :drool:

LemonMacPhisto said:
I'll give him a break on shit like Frantic, Random Hearts, and Firewall because he was Han Solo AND Indiana Jones.

Fair enough... What about Sabrina :shudder: or Hollywood Homicide?

Sabrina wasn't too bad, at least for me.

I turned off Hollywood Homicide after about 20 minutes. :barf:

Thank you God he's doing another Indy movie.

The Fugitive anybody?

And I thought Harrison was great in Hollywood Homocide. Sure it was a pretty "Meh" movie, but it had it's moments.

corianderstem said:
Awww, I liked Sabrina. It was sweet.

Too sweet for me thanks, it almost gave me cavities... Still a bad Harrison Ford movie is better than 99.9% of other movies.

LemonMacPhisto said:
The original Sabrina is a classic though. :up:

You are correct sir.

Lancemc said:
The Fugitive anybody?

And I thought Harrison was great in Hollywood Homocide. Sure it was a pretty "Meh" movie, but it had it's moments.

Yes, the Fugitive was very good, I had forgotten about that one :up:

I don't remember any "moments" from Hollywood Homicide other than that moment when I realized it sucked. :wink:

Last edited:
Maybe DeNiro figures he's done what he set out to do, and probably more. Doing this goofy little roles is akin to a retired person going fishing or growing a garden. It keeps his mind occupied, causes him little stress and gives him satisfaction at the end of the day.

The guy has given some of the most incredible performances in film history, debateably the finest American actor of all time. Raging Bull, Godfather Part II, Goodfellas, The Untouchables (You know what I like....baseball!), The Deer Hunter! Are you kidding me?

He's rich! Shit, if I had his money I'd be drooling on a couch watching discovery channel all day. Maybe he's just tired and taking it easy. Good for him. He's a goddamn legend.

He is a legend. No debating that. Maybe it would just be better if he kept his "retirement hobbies" off the silver screen. :wink:

Lancemc said:
The Fugitive anybody?

Forgot about The Fugitive, one of the only truly great TV to Film adaptations ever.

Has anyone seen The Good Shepherd? De Niro acted and directed in it and it's supposed to be really good.

Don't bother with The Good Shepherd.

If the movie had a 90-minute runtime it would have felt too long. Unfortunately it has an 167-minute runtime.

De Niro is basically a non-entity in the film, and the movie itself aint that hot.

He did direct A Bronx Tale, too. I haven't gotten around to seeing that film but I heard it's very good.

i've heard fantastic things about A Bronx Tale as well. Haven't gotten around to it yet either. My parents love that film though.

Me neither.

If I see anything else this month it's gonna be Superbad.

De Niro has given some of the finest performances in some of the best American films from the last 35 years and for even just a few of them he's a cinematic legend. Sure his recent output hasn't been anywhere those heights and neither have the films overall, but very few artists of any field can sustain such brilliance over a whole career. Back in the day the amount of prep work he did for films was above and beyond the call of duty (moonlighting as a cabby, uprooting to Italy, piling on 60 pounds) and the level of intensity he had in them all was scary. Now he's older I can't blame him for relaxing a little and taking some roles for the money, but a look at him filmography shows that even if the films aren't the greatest he's still taking some serious dramatic roles.

I would love to see him team up with Scorcese ad Di Caprio though, that lad just gets better and better with each film.

As for Pacino, I thought he was one of the best things in Ocean's 13 but that's faint praise. To be honest his recent career path has been similar to De Niro's but with better quality control (he hasn't been in any real crap, just some mediocre and forgetable flicks). Looks like he's doing a remake of Rififi too, I've been meaning to rent that once I renew my subscription (or when they offer me more freebies to, lol).

As for Harrison Ford, I'm not holding my breath for Indy 4. In fact I don't even care at the moment. It could be good, but even if it's not crap it'll be tough to not be a huge disappointment.

elevated_u2_fan said:
He just likes his chicken spicy that's all...

II have always found him a rather odd actor, I mean he has had a very "eclectic" set of roles throughout his career, does anyone remember his roles in Brazil or We're No Angels or Awakenings or Mad Dog And Glory?

How about "tThe Mission" with Jeremy Irons? He was fantastic in that :drool:

The Mission was very good, I had to watch that for school.

Now I really want to watch Jackie Brown again.

I read somewhere he is working with his old pal Scorsese on a script... :hmm: From Wikipedia:

"De Niro has said that he is working with Martin Scorsese on a new project. "I'm trying to actually work..Eric Roth (screenwriter) and myself and Marty are working on a script now, trying to get it done."

I liked him in Meet the parents and especially Analyze that, and he was good in Ronin and The Score. Not close to his best moments but still enjoyable work. His last great role was probaby in Goodfellas.

Harrison Ford was good in ROTJ right up until they escaped Jabba the Hutt. I'm curious how he will work as an aged Indy.

Lancemc said:
i've heard fantastic things about A Bronx Tale as well. Haven't gotten around to it yet either. My parents love that film though.

Going against the grain here, but . . . I hated A Bronx Tale. I thought it was pretty bad. The acting was decent, but the story and plot was so cliche, contrived and melodramatic. Ugh! What a waste of 2 hours! I'm just glad I didn't pay to see it.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Apparently De Niro's good in that movie Stardust, that opens today.

I saw it
he was pretty good
more of a supporting character role

this is also a chick flick
I would recommend it

Go get the G-dfather on DVD, and watch the extras.

Watch De Niro's screen test for the first film. He's got so much fucking power, it's unreal. And it's just a screen test. Coppola did not think he was subdued enough to play Michael, but, he obviously kept him in mind and put him in the sequel.

I know this thread's main point is to lament the man's choices for the past decade or so, but, I forgive him all trespasses. Most of you have named all the brilliant films he's been in, but, I think you left a few out.....Mean Streets, his first collaboration with Scorcese. Amazing performance. The King of Comedy, another great performance. Bang the Drum Slowly, good lord. Once Upon a Time in America. Wag the Dog. Ronin (Which was released after Jackie Brown and is a fun, exciting movie, with my man Reno in it as well). Hell, The Score was not a great film but I loved his performance and loved seeing him on screen with Brando. If anyone named these already, my apologies, but, tack these onto the already mentioned films and you have a staggering body of work.

He's easily the greatest actor of my lifetime, and, if people dislike his choices now, they can easily not go to see his films, he doesn't owe any of us shit.

And, wow, to say "meh" to Midnight Run, I don't get that, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom