Robbie Williams sells a million tickets in 3 hours... - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2005, 05:31 AM   #76
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevation2u
ahhh, at last someone I can agree with
I dont see how this guy gets so much credit,
whats next people going apeshit over ricky martin?
No. But they might be enthusiastic about Elvis Presley and Frank Sinatra.

Old 11-30-2005, 06:22 AM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:59 PM
I really, really dislike the guy and his music, but it's a hell of a feat nonetheless. Criminy.

Old 11-30-2005, 09:38 AM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man

I'm not sure you should expect any mod to listen to you ever again when you admit something like this
Old 11-30-2005, 10:48 AM   #79
War Child

Quite like his music (even though I'm not convinced by the last album, crappy compared to the rest), but I don't like him. Saw him once (in a small place), that's enough.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:39 PM   #80
War Child

Local Time: 05:29 AM
people dont know this guy Williams over here, but i saw the other day an interview on the BBC and a bit of his performace and i really dislike the man, his attitude, his tatooed body and arrogant face is very annoying.....how can such a clown be so big over there in Europe?

Its understandable why he has not sold a cd and a ticket in the u.s, people tend to deslike this kind of bastards
Old 12-01-2005, 11:14 PM   #81
War Child

Actually his Escapology album sold 50,000 in the US, 'The Ego Has Landed' sold 350,000 copies and 'Sing When You're Winning' sold 120,000 - so half a million sales isn't a huge amount - but it's more than a lot of UK artists. Also he has toured twice - both times well recieved - but admittedly small venues.

I know a lot of Americans who like 'that DJ video where he rips his skin off' and 'that Angels song'... bummer Jessica Simpson killed it... So his profile isn't big in the US - he is seen as a bit of a curio. I assume a lot of people just don't get how someone can be a superstar (millions upon millions of sales) but not be known in the US... Luckily you guys don't get Westlife or Ronan Keating either - Robbie is definetly the lesser evil all things considered!!!
Old 12-02-2005, 01:37 AM   #82
Refugee

Oh I 'd definitely place him on the same level of awfulness as Keating..
Old 12-02-2005, 03:28 AM   #83
War Child

Come on - he has never inflicted us with a bad Garth Brooks cover or 'Life Is A Rollercoaster' - and thankfully Robbie kept his Lulu cover well within the bounds of his Take That career days!

Ronan is arse.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:42 AM   #84
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Nube Gris
people dont know this guy Williams over here, but i saw the other day an interview on the BBC and a bit of his performace and i really dislike the man, his attitude, his tatooed body and arrogant face is very annoying.....how can such a clown be so big over there in Europe?

Its understandable why he has not sold a cd and a ticket in the u.s, people tend to deslike this kind of bastards
This is the exact reason why he isnt well recieved because you lot over the pond just dont get us.

over here its called a personality, something a lot of you dont have.

Now i like Robbie but I do feel he is overated. But that doesnt stop him from being one of the best entertainers in the business
Old 12-05-2005, 08:33 AM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by ClaytonMan

This is the exact reason why he isnt well recieved because you lot over the pond just dont get us.

over here its called a personality, something a lot of you dont have.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:34 AM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleep Over Jack
Oh I 'd definitely place him on the same level of awfulness as Keating..
i'm not a massive Robbie fan but come on....there's light years between him and ronan fucking keating
Old 12-05-2005, 08:51 PM   #87
Refugee

In what way? they both make cheesy ballads for the non-music fan, neither has any artistic merit and both are highly popular..I'd love to know how RW has somehow become "credible".. the likes him, Keating et al represent the sort of lowest common denominator music that sells shitloads but doesn't mean anything in the long run.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:29 PM   #88
The Fly

Local Time: 03:29 PM
I really like Robbie Williams. I would like to see him in concert. I hear he is truly great live.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:51 PM   #89
The Fly

Local Time: 03:29 PM
I have now gone back and read over the pages and I would like to add my 2 cents.... (you do not have to read if you don't want to!

To compare Robbie to U2 is a little unfair. I don't think they are really in the same category. But that does not mean that Robbie is not a great talent, and a terrific showman.

The other thing about the English/American debate....

As an Australian, I probably identify more with the English kind of humour. It can be quite sutble at times and relies on nuances of the culture. I do not feel I am explaining very well... maybe someone can help me out here???

Americans on the other hand are quite transparent. That kind of slapstick, 3 Stooges, sitcom genre. Do you know what I mean?

At times on here, I feel Americans can misconstrue things that are obviously tounge in cheek. Take the recent Bono comment of "I am a massive shagger" in Q magazine ( I think).

This is my Australian interpretation, and I only speak for myself, of course.

The interviewer asked "What if we are to find out that you really are just a massive shagger?"

I took that to mean the interviewer was really asking "What if we find out that you are just a massive wanker ie idiot?" To which Bono replied "Of course I am a massive shagger, just ask the missus!" He turned it around, with humour, to be about sex.

Now in no way would I have thought the interviewer was being rude or derogatory. In fact, he was giving Bono the opportunity to answer to those critics that do portray him as that ( a wanker).

Robbie was probably not being rude or obnoxious, it was just that many of you may not have understood his humour.

This is not in any way a criticism or an insult to either party, it is just an observation of what I see.

Does any one else know what I mean? ( Possibly not, but that's okay! lol)
Old 12-13-2005, 08:30 PM   #90
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:29 AM
i'm an american who loves robbie -- more him and less his music, though some of it isn't bad -- and i've seen him once in new york in a small club. good show, but only 80 minutes or so. i was so close i could see the fillings in his teeth. he is very, very british, and his brand of humor does not translate well over here -- generally, people look at him and think, "what an arrogant bastard, and his music isn't terribly special." i think there's something very unique to british culture that robbie has tapped into, a kind of self-mockery that manages to be arrogant at the same time. it's peculiar to the Yanks, who tend to like their rock superstars true-blue and sincere (bono, springsteen). i also don't think robbie fits into an easily identifiable format, and most of the US pop market is dominated by hip-hop/R&B, of which robbie is neither.

still, he's so hot i can hardly stand it.