Robbie Williams sells a million tickets in 3 hours... - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-29-2005, 07:44 AM   #61
Blue Crack Addict
 
Aardvark747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Obscured By Clouds...
Posts: 22,359
Local Time: 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by liamcool


Y'know, if Pink Floyd do another four song set again for charity (say the Palestinian conflicts) then this is what I'd want them to play:

Dogs
Atom Heart Mother Suite
Echoes
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I-IX)

Figured out why I'd want those particular songs yet, Aadvark?

__________________

__________________
Aardvark747 is offline  
Old 11-29-2005, 07:56 AM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
1stepcloser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 3,764
Local Time: 09:57 PM
I'm going to see Take That in concert next year. can't wait to see the looks on my friends faces, 2 of which are complete indie snobs and will be absolutely horrified
__________________

__________________
1stepcloser is offline  
Old 11-29-2005, 08:01 AM   #63
Blue Crack Addict
 
Aardvark747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Obscured By Clouds...
Posts: 22,359
Local Time: 08:57 PM
^i've been thinking about going too
__________________
Aardvark747 is offline  
Old 11-29-2005, 08:06 AM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
1stepcloser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 3,764
Local Time: 09:57 PM
Don't be ashamed! great pop band. great pop tunes. Free yourself of any insecurities and pre-conceptions and go and see Take That, you won't regret it!
__________________
1stepcloser is offline  
Old 11-29-2005, 08:08 AM   #65
Blue Crack Addict
 
Aardvark747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Obscured By Clouds...
Posts: 22,359
Local Time: 08:57 PM
I bet they won't play my fave. tho. 'Another Crack In My Heart'....

Would they play my 2nd fave do u think? 'Babe'?
__________________
Aardvark747 is offline  
Old 11-29-2005, 08:12 AM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
1stepcloser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 3,764
Local Time: 09:57 PM
yeh they'll def play Babe, Mark on lead vocals, they can't let Gary dominate as usual! i've never heard 'another crack in my heart' as a dedicated Thatter, i feel quite ashamed lol

my top 3:

Never Forget
A Million Love Songs
Pray

They'll play them bad boys for sure
__________________
1stepcloser is offline  
Old 11-29-2005, 08:56 AM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
yimou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,786
Local Time: 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark747
^i've been thinking about going too
__________________
yimou is offline  
Old 11-29-2005, 08:58 AM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
yimou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,786
Local Time: 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
I think she meant that he's one and U2 has four members. I cannot quite figure out why this should mean that U2 has some kind of advantage, though. Are they "supposed" to be 4 times as popular?
I reported this post just for fun

It felt gooooooooooood
__________________
yimou is offline  
Old 11-29-2005, 09:28 AM   #69
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,448
Local Time: 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem


Dear headache, your boy Justin is shit. I mean, really shit.

Robbie is bloody awesome. A very funny guy, also.

And BEG, thank you!
well that's besides the point.

my comment, not directed at anyone in particular, was baisicly based (baisicly based???) around the constant trashing by many european fans about the state of american music... yet then they go ape shit over a guy who pretty much has the exact same background... boy bander turned pop mega star... that justin timberlake has... who is often pointed out in the arguments about why american music is shite.



who cares... i'll shut up now.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 11-29-2005, 01:50 PM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: at pavel's
Posts: 11,603
Local Time: 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yimou


I reported this post just for fun

It felt gooooooooooood
I'm not sure you should expect any mod to listen to you ever again when you admit something like this
__________________
U2Man is offline  
Old 11-29-2005, 05:48 PM   #71
Refugee
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,541
Local Time: 08:57 PM
do u think ROBBIE might crack though? u know U2 are experienced in long tours and know how to put on a great show night after night where as so many other bands/singers out there find it extremely hard to do long tours. He is not the strongest man i seen and he has issues! i reckon he could crack half way through the tour
__________________
andyuk is offline  
Old 11-29-2005, 06:14 PM   #72
Refugee
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,089
Local Time: 09:57 PM
Wow I'm really surprised at how many U2 fans see him as a credible artist: he is still as fake as the boy-bands of today and cannot even create his "solo" music by himself! To my mind, its just corny shite for the "soccer mom brigade" don't confuse him with those of real talent.
__________________
Sleep Over Jack is offline  
Old 11-29-2005, 08:29 PM   #73
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase


well that's besides the point.

my comment, not directed at anyone in particular, was baisicly based (baisicly based???) around the constant trashing by many european fans about the state of american music... yet then they go ape shit over a guy who pretty much has the exact same background... boy bander turned pop mega star... that justin timberlake has... who is often pointed out in the arguments about why american music is shite.



who cares... i'll shut up now.
I'm not trying to pick an argument here, my post lacked the fact I was laughing while reading this thread. It's all harmless. Did Justin do that Senorita song? Bit off topic, but I like that. I can see why you're peeved at the inclination to automatically bash anything American. That would piss me off too. I think we here gravitate more towards British and Euro than American. Not sure why, but it seems to be loosely the case most often.


And as for BEG's comment - I cant quite understand how this needs explaining, but anyway. Apologies if this comes across as patronising but as a solo artist he has less interest than an entire band. Bands as a rule make different, fuller music and can more easily make a go of it. If anyone replies to this feeling the need to then list a whole bunch of soloists who've made it to somehow discredit this, then you're still missing the point. This is what Robbie is.
Simple, no?
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 11-29-2005, 09:06 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
elevation2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: corner of Badlands & Magnolia Mountain
Posts: 5,371
Local Time: 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sleep Over Jack
Wow I'm really surprised at how many U2 fans see him as a credible artist: he is still as fake as the boy-bands of today and cannot even create his "solo" music by himself! To my mind, its just corny shite for the "soccer mom brigade" don't confuse him with those of real talent.
ahhh, at last someone I can agree with
I dont see how this guy gets so much credit,
whats next people going apeshit over ricky martin?
__________________
elevation2u is offline  
Old 11-29-2005, 10:45 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem


I'm not trying to pick an argument here, my post lacked the fact I was laughing while reading this thread. It's all harmless. Did Justin do that Senorita song? Bit off topic, but I like that. I can see why you're peeved at the inclination to automatically bash anything American. That would piss me off too. I think we here gravitate more towards British and Euro than American. Not sure why, but it seems to be loosely the case most often.


And as for BEG's comment - I cant quite understand how this needs explaining, but anyway. Apologies if this comes across as patronising but as a solo artist he has less interest than an entire band. Bands as a rule make different, fuller music and can more easily make a go of it. If anyone replies to this feeling the need to then list a whole bunch of soloists who've made it to somehow discredit this, then you're still missing the point. This is what Robbie is.
Simple, no?
Bands are more prone to fighting and break ups which of course end and can hamper any chance of making a go of it. The Solo artist does not have to deal with this. They do what they want when they want, and can get help from the record company to provide what the lack from not having a band. Hell the record company will provide the band, 13 song writers and 15 producers like they often do for Celine Dion.

A band, in the sense that U2 is a band, is faced with tremondous obstacles from the outside as well as the inside, that many solo artist never have to face to the same degree.

But hey, lets take a look at the artist who have sold 10 million plus of an album so far in this decade. Notice which is more common, Solo artist with albums selling 10 million plus, or bands with albums selling 10 million plus.



1. Beatles: 1 : 30,000,000+
2. Norah Jones : Come Away With Me : 19,000,000
3. Eminem: The Marshall Mathers LP : 17,000,000
4. Linkin Park: Hybrid Theory : 16,000,000
5. Britney Spears: Oops!....I Did It Again : 15,000,000
6. Eminem : The Eminem Show : 15,000,000
7. Usher : Confessions : 14,000,000
8. Avril Lavigne: Let Go : 13,500,000
9. Evanescence: Fallen : 13,500,000
10. N'Sync: No Strings Attached : 13,000,000
11. Madonna : Music : 12,500,000
12. U2 : ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND: 12,000,000
13. Backstreet Boys : Black And Blue : 12,000,000
14. Shakira: Laundry Service : 11,000,000
15. Dido: No Angel : 11,000,000
16. Limp Bizkit: Chocolate Starfish : 11,000,000
17. Pink: M!SSUNDAZTOOD : 11,000,000
18. Enya: A Day Without Rain : 10,500,000
19. Shaggy: Hotshot : 10,500,000
20. Norah Jones : Feels Like Home : 10,000,000
21. Moby : Play : 10,000,000
22. Coldplay : A Rush Of Blood To The Head : 10,000,000
23. Green Day : American Idiot : 10,000,000


Solo artist definitely have the lead by a ratio of more than 50%. No matter how you stack it, when its all said and done, the band has the tougher climb as well as more difficulty when it comes to "staying power".
__________________

__________________
STING2 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com