Robbie Williams - Intensive Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miricale_Drug

War Child
So what do people think of Mr Williams' latest creation 'intensive care' - or just him in general, he never seems discussed here .

I have some pre-release stuff off the album if people want a listen

Miricale_Drug said:
So what do people think of Mr Williams' latest creation 'intensive care' - or just him in general, he never seems discussed here .

I have some pre-release stuff off the album if people want a listen

Post it. I have only heard the first song.

Geez! I thought Robbie Williams had been admitted to intensive care for some reason. That's why I even opened this thread.

Hate to admit this, but I really enjoyed the U.S. release The Ego Has Landed and the follow up Sing When You're Winning. As pop music goes, it's miles beyond candy like Justin Timberlake and his contemporaries, if not quite as accomplished as George Michael's better work.

At least the guy doesn't take himself seriously.

lazarus said:
As pop music goes, it's miles beyond candy like Justin Timberlake and his contemporaries, if not quite as accomplished as George Michael's better work.

I agree. Even Take That, the boy band that he came out of were miles ahead of the latter day crap like BSB, Nsync, Britney and Timberlake. And George Michael is criminally underrated in the US! I wonder how many people here have even given Listen Without Prejudice or Older a chance. :down:

seriously, timberlake has talent. even if he doesn't, the people he surrounds himself certainly do. it's hard to tell the difference, i guess.

Zoomerang96 said:
seriously, timberlake has talent. even if he doesn't, the people he surrounds himself certainly do. it's hard to tell the difference, i guess.

I agree. i thought his debut album was miles beyond anything NSYNC ever did. He is a smart Pop musician and has great potential for the future.

Robbie Williams vs Justin Timberlake? They are not even remotely close. And I don't think one is necessarily better than the other.
JT is everything you want in a surface level pop star. Great music, catchy lyrics that require no thought, can't help but put you in a good mood.
Robbie Williams is something else. There's an incredible amount of darkness there for pop music, masked by very simplistic bubblegum music and his own tongue in cheek attitude, but the mask is pretty thin. Justin Timberlake will make great, catchy, deny you like it but always gets you dancing, surface level pop music for years.
Robbie however may very well evolve into something very, very good. I mean that. A lot of his best songs, stripped to their base, cover the exact same themes as an album like Achtung Baby. Temptation/fuck up/redemption - or the opposite - betrayal/fucked up/forgiveness. Robbie's just not 'evolved' as a songwriter or lyricist... yet.
Justin Timberlake comes nowhere near that. Half your average teenage pop themes, half a more adult edgy version of those same themes. And he's fucking brilliant at it.
Musically they are as far apart as two male pop stars could get, lyrics wise it's the same. Their futures will be very different.

Zoomerang96 said:

I agree! I loved his debut release and am anxious to hear his follow up.

As far as Robbie Williams goes, the few songs that I have heard by him I have liked but I am not familiar enough with his music to say he is good or bad in the pop music arena.

Although I have not purchased his most recent release, I love George Michael.

Last edited:
I like Robbie Williams very much, even in the beginning of his career. I think Escapology is one of the best albums ever made, just a mix from rock and pop. Escapology has some great great moments, especially the opening song How Peculiar and Me & My monkey. Then of course the rock songs Monsoon and Song 3, and the more pop-ish singles Feel, come undone etc.

I listened to Intensive care yesterday. Tripping (nr 1 in Netherlands right now) I think is a good song but not one of his best songs. I don't know about the rest of IC, I didn't hear rock songs or experimental stuff. Just some pop songs. I think after the HUGE succes of escapology (in europe) it's very difficult to make a better album and I think IC isn't better than escapology. BUT I listened tot it one time, things may change.

For me I rank the albums:

1. Escapology
2. Life Thru a lens (More britpop, oasis influence, one of the best songs Angels)
3. Swing when you're winning
4. Sing when you're winning
5. I've been expecting you (some highlights but weak album)

I think intensive care comes second in my list.

(Nice thread!!)

Since he stopped working with the bloke he co-wrote angels and the other older stuff he's been crap (I mean crapper than before, and that was pretty crap anyway).

His new song is rubbish.

Total U2 Nut said:
Since he stopped working with the bloke he co-wrote angels and the other older stuff he's been crap (I mean crapper than before, and that was pretty crap anyway).

His new song is rubbish.

I thought exactly the same when I first heard the song. But now I gave it a good listen and it's a good song. It's a pity he stopped writing with Guy Chambers but now he's writing with stephen Duffy (ex duran duran I thought) and the single Radio is very very good I think.

then we should all wish him a hearty ....

Na-nu... Na-nu...........

* what?........ who?................ Ohhhh.... ROBBIE WILLIAMS.....right......

:eeklaugh:

This bloke's got masses of integrity and should be respected by everyone in the music industry.

Watched a documentary about him when his greatest hits was released. Such an earnest and honest bloke, who has had some very decent tunes over the years.

I still don't own any of his stuff but I keep meaning to get some.

I've heard the new single Tripping. It's fascinating. Whether he had much input into the writing of the song or not, it is quality.

An awesome voice as well. Knows his limits and doesn't pretend to be someone he's not.

Earnie Shavers said:
Robbie Williams vs Justin Timberlake? They are not even remotely close. And I don't think one is necessarily better than the other.
JT is everything you want in a surface level pop star. Great music, catchy lyrics that require no thought, can't help but put you in a good mood.
Robbie Williams is something else. There's an incredible amount of darkness there for pop music, masked by very simplistic bubblegum music and his own tongue in cheek attitude, but the mask is pretty thin. Justin Timberlake will make great, catchy, deny you like it but always gets you dancing, surface level pop music for years.
Robbie however may very well evolve into something very, very good. I mean that. A lot of his best songs, stripped to their base, cover the exact same themes as an album like Achtung Baby. Temptation/fuck up/redemption - or the opposite - betrayal/fucked up/forgiveness. Robbie's just not 'evolved' as a songwriter or lyricist... yet.
Justin Timberlake comes nowhere near that. Half your average teenage pop themes, half a more adult edgy version of those same themes. And he's fucking brilliant at it.
Musically they are as far apart as two male pop stars could get, lyrics wise it's the same. Their futures will be very different.

I can't believe after all your rants that you actually rate Robbie Williams, who has all the talent and depth of your average pub act..he's just a very cheesy novelty entertainer to me, not to mention that he's had other people basically writing most of his songs..

Does Robbie Williams write his own music? Because someone on EYKIW said he didn't. Not sure if he was referring to his role in Take That (which i'm sure he didn't), or his solo career now.

Robbie does his own lyrics most of his own vocal lines and some parts of the rest of the tunes. Tripping has his bass and drum lines for example

Back
Top Bottom