Robbie to do us a favour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimmmm

Refugee
Robbie Williams has said he feels like has overstayed his welcome with his UK fans and it's time for him to flee the country and live in LA for a while, so his fans can get him out there heads.

Robbie says: "Back home, I feel like I've overstayed my welcome a little bit. "I've enjoyed tremendous success for over ten years now - far more than I should have or I ever would have dreamed I'd have. And now it's the time for Robbie to go away in people's minds. I think it's time to not be in Britain for a bit."

There you see he's not all bad, now if only wetlife could take a leaf out of his book, we might start to see some decent music in the UK charts again!

Robbie hasn't had a decent album in a while. It's a shame when you think that he's capable of great pop songs like Angels and Let Me Entertain You.

Canadiens1160 said:
Robbie hasn't had a decent album in a while. It's a shame when you think that he's capable of great pop songs like Angels and Let Me Entertain You.

Agreed.

And this is also magnified by how good the current Take That single is.

He's saying this now cos Take That have re-emerged and in style.

As Interferences biggest Take That fan, i'd love robbie to swallow his pride and rejoin the boys. His solo career has been in decline for a while now and his old band are back and showing the kids how to make great pop music once again.

So, in essence, my message to robbie is this - rejoin Take That or fuck off to america. It's his call.

I liked his first albums, with songs like Let me entertain you, no regrets, karma killer, it's only us, phoenix,.. I bought 'intensive care', but I'm not a big fan of it. And I didn't bother to buy his latest album.

Canadiens1160 said:
Radio; Feel; Trippin', Rudebox, the Lovelight cover; Sin Sin Sin... I think that these are very good pop songs. They're just different. Angels is in the past, he's not gonna make another one.

What's with the Robbie non-love?? :sad: I saw Robbie live a couple of weeks ago, and seriously, if U2 hadn't just toured, he would've got Concert of the Year from me!! It was effin brilliant!!!! *

And I like the new stuff :shrug:

*his concerts sold out faster in Aust than U2, fact fans.

I saw Robbie last night in Melbourne - last night of his tour. A few thoughts - musically there was a certain 'sameness' to the newer stuff - 'Intensive Care' was a pretty lacklustre album, following the just 'OK-ness' of 'Escapology'. Rob is fastly becoming the kind of act that has great singles but cant put together a decent album. That is sad as 'Sing' and 'Life Thru A Lens' were amazing albums. (He only performed 'Rudebox' off the new album - not even 'Lovelight' last night - that shitted me off as there are some good tracks on that album that could be good on stage.)

Live - however - he is a hell of a force. He broke the venue record for the Telstra Dome in Melbourne (reported 64,127) on Sunday night, just to bust it wide open again last night (reported 66,540). He is a global draw - and even though 'Rudebox' has been slated, 3 million+ sales globally in 8 weeks is far from a decline.

But by saying that he seems tired - and even bored onstage. Rob needs to piss off for a couple of years and then have another crack at it.

As for rejoining Take That - he made a comment last night that at his age he just doesn't want to sing and dance to 'Could It Be Magic' for 5 minutes a few times a week. He only sung lead on 2 Take That songs - so fair point. He also wished them the best and told the audience off for not making 'Patience' a big hit here.

Last edited:
1stepcloser said:
i'd love robbie to swallow his pride and rejoin the boys. His solo career has been in decline for a while now and his old band are back and showing the kids how to make great pop music once again.

Sorry - can't agree with this, I saw Robbie on his Close Encounters tour here a couple of weeks ago and it was AWESOME!!!!!! 60,000 people just going nuts. Perhaps he could move to Australia, we sure all love him here!!:heart:

I know his new album isn't like 'Angels' - but what is wrong with taking a new direction and trying something new every now and then. I'm sure we'd all be complaining if he was just churning out identical albums one after the other!:yawn:

A decent singer and good live performer. :up: I always loved the irony that after getting the boot in Take that his solo career took off like that. (in comparison to Mark's and especially Gary Barlow's solo attempts)

He's bigger than them so I see no point in re-joining them, even if for just one night. I'm assuming the rest of the guys needed the money for the reunion album/tour?

Good point that the UK people might be sick of him.

Last edited:
Right now I'd say that Take That are much bigger than Robbie in the UK.

I don't like his new stuff, I think it sounds awful.

Robbie is still a gun, though I don't own any of his albums.

Lovelight is a cracking single, shame it's a cover. Rudebox was interesting...

What was wrong with Intensiv Care? I thought Sin Sin Sin, Advertising Space and especially Tripping were sensational singles. The album tracks must have certainly been rather ordinary...

I'd rather see more Robbie on the charts and here more of him on the radio some of these pretentious "oh look at me i'm so wonderful i wrote a song on my own" solo artists out there...

Rudebox was a fucking AWFUL song.

But then angels is completely overrated. SICK SICK SICK of that song!

Listen to Robbies song 90's and you'll see how it all went wrong with Take That.

Anyway, could you see someone as big as an ego that Robbies got having to be in the same room as fatty fatty barlow? Never going to happen!

What's happening to RW now is more or less a mix of what happened to U2 circa 1988-1992. Americans were tired of U2 (here is the UK getting sick of RW) and the band make a revolution in its sound. You must notice that Rudebox is sightly different from what he did before. Intensive Care made that attempt but failed because it had too much boring and radio-friendly songs, this more recent album is a love-it-or-leave-it.

Personally I think Robbie's downfall started when he stopped working with Guy Chambers. His stuff post-Chambers has been medicore at best IMO. The British media turning against him (The Mirror in particular) and the revival of Take That (Patience is a brilliant pop song) also count against him but he does have a very large and loyal fanbase so I wouldn't write off Throbbie just yet. :wink:

intedomine said:
What was wrong with Intensive Care? I thought Sin Sin Sin, Advertising Space and especially Tripping were sensational singles. The album tracks must have certainly been rather ordinary...

It was just.. lazy. The singles (and arguably 'Make Me Pure') are awesome tracks - however 'A Place To Crash', 'Your Gay Friend' and 'The Trouble With Me' are awful stabs at 80's soft rock. Dire crap. Worse is I really rate Stephen Tuffy as a songwriter - but together the glimours of greatness were (are?) few and far between. 'Radio' worked as it was just off the fucking wall, but the other stuff they've done is patchy.

thatsnotmypuppy said:

It was just.. lazy. The singles (and arguably 'Make Me Pure') are awesome tracks - however 'A Place To Crash', 'Your Gay Friend' and 'The Trouble With Me' are awful stabs at 80's soft rock. Dire crap. Worse is I really rate Stephen Tuffy as a songwriter - but together the glimours of greatness were (are?) few and far between. 'Radio' worked as it was just off the fucking wall, but the other stuff they've done is patchy.

I have to agree, that's what I disliked in Intensive Care, after RW claiming that this album would be in his career the same turning point as AB was in U2.
I dislike "Your gay friend" and "The trouble with me", and why the hell did he put "Ghosts" as opening track? That track should be the closer or before the closer.
Anyway, there are a bunch of great songs like the great-beat "Trippin'", the cool "Sin sin sin", and "Advertising space" that is very enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom