River Piddle, Dorset Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Responding to your long posts put me behind and I never recovered from that. :madspit:

:hug: So I'm a rambly sort myself.

Now, TMI time. I need to go to the toilet. I expect when I get back, I'll be way behind and totally fucked when it comes to keeping up with this thread.
:giggle: Sorry about that. I love a good long discussion. :hug:

:lol:

Yeah, I sort of feel the same way. Actually, I had an interesting thought last night - what if U2 broke up after Live Aid, because of Bono's fartarsing around? How would they be remembered?

The probably would have been the NSync of the 80s, in that they were cool for a while, and most likely Bono would've gone on to do his own thing, Edge would've had a slightly less successful solo career, and Larry and Adam would whore themselves off to movies and childrens shows.

EAA: Bono was jealous of Edge's success with his Irish Boy rap of "Numb", so he wrote his own...about Elvis. Feeling experimental (?), Brian Eno decided to let him give it a shot. I feel Brian's chanting of Elvis in the background is not him helping the song along, it's him questioning Bono's lyrics. "Elvis?" The bongos is awesome. I like bongos. But the most baffling bit to me is the sleigh bells. Was Adam having the shakes or something?

(okay, that last line was kind of rude)
You can blame my dad for dubbing Numb "Irish Boy Rap."
When we first got my iPod, I put all my U2 CDs on there and he wanted to hear how the sound was on it. And my shuffle just happened to pick Numb. He had never heard it before, so he was like, "Wtf is this shit? That's not Bono." :laugh:
I had to tell him it was Edge and he started saying it sounded like Edge was rapping. So it got the name Irish Boy Rap.

Regarding EAA: Never heard it, so I really don't know, but I've heard little to no praise for it, so I am definitely not interested at all and have a feeling I'll want 3-5 mins (?) of my life back if I listen to it.

Oh thank god, you guys didn't put on about 30 posts or something.

Ok, I haven't heard EAA since the first time I listened to Passengers all the way through (incidentally the ONLY time I listened to Passengers all the way though) You guys are tempting me into listening again.

The probably would have been the NSync of the 80s, in that they were cool for a while, and most likely Bono would've gone on to do his own thing, Edge would've had a slightly less successful solo career, and Larry and Adam would whore themselves off to movies and childrens shows.

Oh that's more positive than what I was thinking. I imagine they'd be forever remembered as an example of fucking up at the most important moment. Edge would become a mad scientist, Adam a junkie, Bono a drunk, and Larry wouldn't change.

Oh that's more positive than what I was thinking. I imagine they'd be forever remembered as an example of fucking up at the most important moment. Edge would become a mad scientist, Adam a junkie, Bono a drunk, and Larry wouldn't change.

:hmm: this is a possibility too. I just always imagine that Edge and Bono could be successful if the band were to break up.

ok now I am WAY too behind :crack:

Ax screw you! :tsk: without AB and Zootv no U2 :love:

Then I'll take no U2 then. :up:

I would not miss One, So Cruel, TTTYAATW, Ultra Violet, or ZooTV's static, terrible setlists one bit.

:lol: Nope. Though I get the feeling my internet might give out in a sec! :madspit:

Thou shalt reconnect!

Do you want me to send you the dub mix of Wire and the unreleased instrumental Flicker And Fade? Or do you not really feel the need to struggle through dialup's slow shittiness for them?

ZooTV's static, terrible setlists one bit.

I'll agree with you on that one. That tour was begging for setlist shake ups honestly. What an opportunity for it too! I mean they WERE trying to be all experimental weren't they?

EAA: Bono was jealous of Edge's success with his Irish Boy rap of "Numb", so he wrote his own...about Elvis. Feeling experimental (?), Brian Eno decided to let him give it a shot. I feel Brian's chanting of Elvis in the background is not him helping the song along, it's him questioning Bono's lyrics. "Elvis?" The bongos is awesome. I like bongos. But the most baffling bit to me is the sleigh bells. Was Adam having the shakes or something?

(okay, that last line was kind of rude)

Best critique of EAA ever! :lmao:

Thou shalt reconnect!

Do you want me to send you the dub mix of Wire and the unreleased instrumental Flicker And Fade? Or do you not really feel the need to struggle through dialup's slow shittiness for them?
Yes. I will suffer through for those!
I often find that by listening to stuff of theirs I haven't heard or live stuff, that I remember why I love them so much, etc.

I concur about Adam. In fact, if they broke up after Lovetown, I don't think he'd still be alive today. I really don't. He was pretty set on destroying himself. Lars would either have turned into a session/studio musician on the side, but found himself a day job he could disappear into. Edge would've had a successful solo career, but maybe would've found more success as a producer. And Bono has the chops to be the post-Nsync Justin Timberlake of the 90's.

I'll agree with you on that one. That tour was begging for setlist shake ups honestly. What an opportunity for it too! I mean they WERE trying to be all experimental weren't they?

Let's be honest: Zooropa would've been one of the greatest concert openers of all time.

What pisses me off, though, is that ZooTV's sets were essentially greatest hits. There were 7-11 songs from the latest album (then Zooropa material coming in after its release) and the band's most popular eighties songs. Fuck anything else. You got the occasional token gesture in the form of a handful of Van Diemen's Land or Slow Dancing performances on the b-stage, but the band properly doing anything like The Electric Co. or Out Of Control or A Sort Of Homecoming or what-have-you? Nooooo. They couldn't even bring themselves to do more than snippet One Tree Hill in New Zealand. :down:

I concur about Adam. In fact, if they broke up after Lovetown, I don't think he'd still be alive today. I really don't. He was pretty set on destroying himself. Lars would either have turned into a session/studio musician on the side, but found himself a day job he could disappear into. Edge would've had a successful solo career, but maybe would've found more success as a producer. And Bono has the chops to be the post-Nsync Justin Timberlake of the 90's.

That's really pretty much what I see having happened.....ESPECIALLY Adam :sigh:

Let's be honest: Zooropa would've been one of the greatest concert openers of all time.

What pisses me off, though, is that ZooTV's sets were essentially greatest hits. There were 7-11 songs from the latest album (then Zooropa material coming in after its release) and the band's most popular eighties songs. Fuck anything else. You got the occasional token gesture in the form of a handful of Van Diemen's Land or Slow Dancing performances on the b-stage, but the band properly doing anything like The Electric Co. or Out Of Control or A Sort Of Homecoming or what-have-you? Nooooo. They couldn't even bring themselves to do more than snippet One Tree Hill in New Zealand. :down:
I love A Sort of Homecoming but Bono seemed to have a problem getting the lyrics right.
He's got 'em all backwards on Wide Awake In America, mind you, I love that version.

Seriously, just imagine the concert starting with the opening to Zooropa :damn:

This is essentially my only problem with U2....but it's spanned pretty much their entire careers.

Is it that difficult to sing TUF guys? Or pretty much anything FROM TUF but Pride? I mean these days it doesn't even feel like Bad gets a good turn.

Ultraviolet. :love:
I could NOT deal without that song.

... it's on my Ten Worst U2 Songs list. :uhoh:

Yes. I will suffer through for those!
I often find that by listening to stuff of theirs I haven't heard or live stuff, that I remember why I love them so much, etc.

Yeah, same. Digging into the rarities reminds me of how much I enjoy some of their music. So, the two songs are on their way to you and Reggo.

This is like you and I's biggest discrepancies regarding U2. Ultra Violet is also one of my favorite songs. Top Ten. But it's also got some personal reasons behind it so who knows.

Yeah, same. Digging into the rarities reminds me of how much I enjoy some of their music. So, the two songs are on their way to you and Reggo.

Rarities :love:

Yeah, I think you're onto something about Adam.

Solo Bono wouldn't have had shit on JT.

I love A Sort of Homecoming but Bono seemed to have a problem getting the lyrics right.
He's got 'em all backwards on Wide Awake In America, mind you, I love that version.

The live version of ASOH was always different to the studio version, especially with regards to how it starts. The WAIA version is fairly representative.

If you really want to hear Bono flub the lyrics of ASOH, listen to the two Elevation Tour performances (2001-08-25, Slane and 2001-11-16, Oakland). He doesn't have a clue. It's the only two times ASOH has been played since 1987-06-27.

Yeah, I remember you mentioning that the other day.
I just love it because it's helped me a lot in the past.

Sometimes I'll have spells where I get tired of them, so listening to the rare stuff and live stuff kinda brings back that whole "Omg U2. :hyper:" thing for me. If that makes sense. :lol:

Funny how we're talking about Justin Timberlake and Ultra Violet in different conversation strands. I feel Ultra Violet is more an N'Sync or Backstreet Boys song than a U2 song. I can totally hear them harmonising the chorus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom