River Phoenix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissVelvetDress_75

Blue Crack Addict
basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized b
He left this planet too soon.

:sigh:

river-phoenix-img.jpg

it's been almost twelve years, and i still remember exactly where i was standing, and exactly what i was doing when i heard the news that he had died.

River Phoenix is his real name. Brother of Joaquin. They all have hippy names. (Joaquin disliked his and went by Leaf for awhile.)

He was an actor and showed real promise. He did an incredible impersonation of Harrison Ford, playing young Indy at the beginning of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade."

He died of a drug overdose outside the Viper Room. Joaquin is the one who called the paramedics.

Ah, I see. Thankyou for the information.

Yeah, River Phoenix was, how do you say...... ah, yes...
before my time :huh:

While I recognize he was talented, I never quite felt all the River Phoenix love.

I love Joaquin Phoenix, though. Talented and nice to look at.

AvsGirl41 said:
River Phoenix is his real name. Brother of Joaquin. They all have hippy names. (Joaquin disliked his and went by Leaf for awhile.)

He was an actor and showed real promise. He did an incredible impersonation of Harrison Ford, playing young Indy at the beginning of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade."

He died of a drug overdose outside the Viper Room. Joaquin is the one who called the paramedics.

i never knew they were brothers. river as young indy was a highlight of the movie. OH THAT'S how he got is scar. :sexywink:

joaquin sort of gives me the creeps ever since he tried to make out with his sister in gladiator. i thought he had a humorous role in signs though.

It was his death that made my dad give me a talk to never do drugs. The way he said "Do you know what happened to him? He got into drugs and he died!" The way he said that scared the living s*** outta me. Looking back on his movies...he was such an incredible, promising young actor.

I always get choked up at the end of Stand By Me when you hear about his character, Chris Chambers, dying. Then his image fades away. Very eerie now, very sad.

Last edited:
See, I don't think a death like that is tragic. It's STUPID. He took risks with hard drugs, and look where it got him.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

my little cousin looked just like him.

unfortunately, he committed suicide, so I'm usually uncomfortable around river phoenix conversation.

on a lighter note, a great movie with him is the one where he loses his girlfriend to a rich guy; they're in high school;....I forget what it's called.....it's his name; johnny something or something like that.

oh, and natalie merchant wrote a great song for him called "river".

It was just a huge waste. He was so talented and I agree with Cori, his death was so very, very stupid.
I love him in Stand By Me, Little Nikita and My Own Private Idaho but my favorite River movie (even if it wasn't his best) is Dog Fight with Lily Taylor.

JOFO said:
my little cousin looked just like him.

unfortunately, he committed suicide, so I'm usually uncomfortable around river phoenix conversation.

on a lighter note, a great movie with him is the one where he loses his girlfriend to a rich guy; they're in high school;....I forget what it's called.....it's his name; johnny something or something like that.

oh, and natalie merchant wrote a great song for him called "river".

its called " a night in the life of jimmy reardon".

before he died he was using alot of drugs with John frusciante, and he appears on one of John's solo albums with the song " height down", where he sings and plays guitar, its a weird album to listen to, cause you can actually hear the pain.

Does anyone remember the anti drug ad's that came out about a month after he died? it was the autopsy photo of river, it was errie.

DeadMansParty said:
Does anyone remember the anti drug ad's that came out about a month after he died? it was the autopsy photo of river, it was errie.

sorry, i must correct myself, it wasnt an autposy photo, it was a photo of him in his coffin, he was wearing his bands t shirt, and it is belived that he was not embalmed.

unfortunately, i clicked on the link that brought me to that photo when i was looking for pictures of the memorial on the wall outside of the viper room.

i wish i had never seen it.

the site was incredibly morbid. fascinating, though.

findadeath[dot]com

I went to that site last night and stayed there all night. Fascinating (and often gruesome) stuff. A lot of the write-ups were very well-done.

Back
Top Bottom