RIP poor old Honda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosloveslave

Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Staff member
My '90 Honda Accord has died, and I don't think I'm going to try to resurrect her. She's served me well during my four years of vet school, and at 181,000 miles, I think she's ready to be released to that big old junkyard in the sky. :(

Unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of test-driving every car on the market in the $20,000 ballpark. I would prefer to stick with Honda, but I may have the option of a GM discount as well. Safety is a large issue but so is gas mileage. There are things that I like about the Honda Element, Accord, and Civic Hybrid, but my cheapness won't allow me to rule out getting a GM car below dealer cost. :hmm:

Why couldn't the old girl hang on just 3 more weeks til school is done when I'd actually have time to shop :angry:

What to do, what to do, what to do...

:banghead:

Sorry to hear about your car.

You may want to look into getting a lease returned vehicle. This way someone else has already paid the depreciation on the vehicle and sometimes you can get them with really low mileage. A friend did this and she got her car through an auto broker. She called him and told him what type of car she wanted and what she wanted to pay and he found it. You could probably deal with a auto dealership directly (be brave...show no fear). Go in, find a salesman (ok, they will find you) and tell him or her what you are looking for.

There is also the leasing option and they might take your beloved Honda as the down payment.

Good luck....I hate buying cars too.

bonosloveslave said:
My '90 Honda Accord has died, and I don't think I'm going to try to resurrect her. She's served me well during my four years of vet school, and at 181,000 miles, I think she's ready to be released to that big old junkyard in the sky. :(

Unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of test-driving every car on the market in the $20,000 ballpark. I would prefer to stick with Honda, but I may have the option of a GM discount as well. Safety is a large issue but so is gas mileage. There are things that I like about the Honda Element, Accord, and Civic Hybrid, but my cheapness won't allow me to rule out getting a GM car below dealer cost. :hmm:

Why couldn't the old girl hang on just 3 more weeks til school is done when I'd actually have time to shop :angry:

What to do, what to do, what to do...

:banghead:
aai.gif

I love old Honda`s. I have a 16 year old Civic ( automatic ) and i love it.

I wouldn't mind getting a slightly used car, but my husband is reluctant to do that through a dealership, as he used to work at one. He says 95% of those cars are lease returns from people who treated the cars like crap (red-lined them, never got oil changes etc) or they are cars from rental companies where people also treat them like crap. I'm not so sure about that, but if we don't go through a dealer, the problem is time and trying hook up with people selling their cars through the paper :crazy:

Yes, you theoretically lose several thousand dollars just driving off the lot if you pay retail for a new car, but if we can get it for $100 over dealer cost (Honda) or below dealer cost (a possibility with GM), I guess it's not so bad :shrug:

I was going to mention Honda in that thread of Arun's that had the Dodge V10 motorbike. Honda is another car-maker that makes nice bikes AND cars, imho. Hub was riding an old Honda motorbike when I met him, we had some fun on that thing. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen what I think is a nice looking car and when I get up close ...it's a Honda.

I know a joke about a dentist, a guy with an abcess, and a Honda....:eyebrow:
I better not tell it.
I probably already have, knowing me...somewhere in the archives:D

RIP little Honda Accord. I know I get attached to my cars and bestow them with almost friendship status. I think it is Murphy's Law that caused yours to die 3 weeks before it is convenient. Happy car shopping.

PS: I was singing the old Honda radio jingle the other day( I have Honda stories:rolleyes:...)
"...5 more miles for a penny or so
the beach , to work
or anywhere you want to go...
Hop on a Honda
and GO!..."

Absolutely go with a slightly used vehicle. And private party transactions are your best bet. If you have a mechanic friend, they can help out with examinng potential cars or giving you the right questions to ask.

I lost a car earlier this year too BLS, I know how it feels. (And mine died a particularly violent death)

May the roar of its engine be heard in eternity.

bls, this brings me to ask a question i've been wanting to know: how can you find out the fleet prices for vehicles? i can get fords and gms for fleet price, but everyone wants you to go to this website, which basically says they'll have someone call you with a quote. i'm just wanting to price things out to see the kind of discount i'd get, i'm not looking at buying anything *now.*

but back to the original topic, i can see what you mean. hondas are great cars, but if you can get something else cheaper, then you can't be blamed for going with gm.

Khan, I know what I know just from ballparks that Karl remembers from working at a dealership. The markup really depends on the car company, ie Honda normally has about a $2,000 markup, whereas Buick has $4,000 plus markup.

My protests about a new car went unheard, and my husband got me a 2004 Honda Accord Coupe LX. Don't have a digital camera yet but it looks like this:

SL_lx_34FRONT.jpg

I am most excited about the fact that I will never ever kill my battery again due to leaving my lights on! And the keyless entry is pretty cool too :wink:

I guess I'll look like an official snooty doctor driving around town :uhoh:

bonosloveslave said:
Khan, I know what I know just from ballparks that Karl remembers from working at a dealership. The markup really depends on the car company, ie Honda normally has about a $2,000 markup, whereas Buick has $4,000 plus markup.

My protests about a new car went unheard, and my husband got me a 2004 Honda Accord Coupe LX. Don't have a digital camera yet but it looks like this:

SL_lx_34FRONT.jpg

I am most excited about the fact that I will never ever kill my battery again due to leaving my lights on! And the keyless entry is pretty cool too :wink:

I guess I'll look like an official snooty doctor driving around town :uhoh:

Nice car! :bow:

My little Neon is only five years old and is already getting cranky :madspit:

aww :(. I still miss my old 89 camry that got smashed in sept. It had those electric lap shoulder belts that moved across and they would always hit unexpecting people in the neck :lol:

ILuvLarryMullen said:
aww :(. I still miss my old 89 camry that got smashed in sept. It had those electric lap shoulder belts that moved across and they would always hit unexpecting people in the neck :lol:
i've got one!

want it? :shifty:

btw, love the new car bls!

ILuvLarryMullen said:

The old Honda had the automatic seatbelts, I actually like those cuz you can't forget to put your seatbelt on!

No new name yet...

bonosloveslave said:

The old Honda had the automatic seatbelts, I actually like those cuz you can't forget to put your seatbelt on!

Those scared me when you picked me up. :uhoh: :lol:

I changed my mind about the BMW....
I feel like Toad from Toad Hall( wind in the willows toad). You know,how his eyes went all wide when he saw his first motor car
"poop poop"
I saw a white Alfa Romeo with a black interior, left parked in a car park with it's top down. It was an old one I think (not up on these things) Nice car:drool:
"poop poop"

I like your new one BLS...happy safe motoring to you.
I still think it's cool my car is named after Mexican beer...or vice versa. I watched some of the Corona World Rally series on TV last weekend. I was expecting to see all cars like mine....not :D

I'm sorry :hug: I am somebody who keeps a car until it passes away in the road, and I get very attached to them, name them, feel attached to them and hate to think of them 'dying.' But for cars, there is reinCARnation:) where they get melted down and ride again as a brand new car, and that is comforting. I know some of you think I'm a weirdo. I don't care, I have feelings for stuff and I'm very emotional and sentimental. Cars can be your friends!

U2Kitten said:
I'm sorry :hug: I am somebody who keeps a car until it passes away in the road, and I get very attached to them, name them, feel attached to them and hate to think of them 'dying.' But for cars, there is reinCARnation:) where they get melted down and ride again as a brand new car, and that is comforting. I know some of you think I'm a weirdo. I don't care, I have feelings for stuff and I'm very emotional and sentimental. Cars can be your friends!

. . . or your worst enemies :lol:

We use a GMC van at work to transport senior citizens to doctors appointments, the rec center, etc. From what I hear, it's been a lemon since the day they got it (about 6 years ago :grumpy: ). It has a nickname too :lol:

I call it "Leaky the Senior Van" :wink: - because the roof leaks when it's raining, and since we're trying to get a new van in the budget, no one wants to pay for the body work to repair it - so when it leaks, we have those dollar store plastic table cloths that we use as tarps so the seniors don't get wet :|

but I didn't think about the reinCARnation - it's not weird actually, I like that idea :hug:

my 91 honda accord is still running...just barely, I love that car

I'd be lost without it, sorry to hear you're news:(

Back
Top Bottom