RIP James Coburn...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
-From American WP:

James Coburn, who played tough-guy roles in such films as "Our Man Flint" and "The Magnificent Seven," and who won an Academy Award for his portrait of a dissolute father in "Affliction," died today. He was 74.

Coburn died of a heart attack at home while listening to music with his wife, said his manager, Hillard Elkins.

Coburn won his best supporting actor Oscar for the 1998 film after overcoming a 10-year struggle with arthritis that left one hand crippled.

Born in Laurel, Neb., on Aug. 31, 1928, Coburn studied acting in Los Angeles and with Stella Adler in New York

He appeared on stage in New York and in such television series as "Studio One" and "General Electric Theatre" in the 1950s.

He made his movie debut in "Ride Lonesome" in 1959, and gained the public's notice a year later when he played the knife-throwing Britt in "The Magnificent Seven."

Although Coburn had few lines compared with his other macho actor co-stars, film historian Leonard Maltin noted his mere screen presence grabbed the public's attention.

Coburn played sidekicks and villains until the late 1960s, when he cashed in on the James Bond mania with the humorous spy spoofs "Our Man Flint" and "In Like Flint."

Such films as "The President's Analyst," which he also produced, the World War II escape epic "The Great Escape" and "Golden Girl" followed.

In the 1980s, he all but disappeared from the screen with the onset of arthritis.

He said he "healed himself" with pills that had a sulfur base. His knuckles remained gnarled, but he said in a 1999 interview with the Associated Press that the pain was gone.

He said at that time, when the film roles weren't coming, "I've been reading a lot of stuff. I want to go to work. It's what I do best; it's the only thing I can really do.

"Actors are boring when they're not working, it's a natural condition, because they don't have anything to do, they just lay around and that's why so many of them get drunk. They really get to be boring people. My wife will attest to that," he said with a hearty laugh.

Look, I know some of u will see this as pointless, or not know who the heck he was! But with all due respect, 'The Magnificient Seven'....(which I still have never seen!)...........was a big hit of a movie.........so respect.......and Rest In Peace James.......

What's bad is that I swear I've read about his death about 4 different times now, only for him to reappear as still alive. :huh:

I guess this time is different. It is a shame.

Melon

thanks maddie, I heard about his death last night

my friend from primary/high school days LOVED James Coburn ( and Charles Bronson). I have been meaning to contacy her. Thanks for the reminder Mr Coburn. To go out listening to music in the company of your beloved( my sympathy to her, it would still hurt no matter how anticipated). Way to go, he was so cool.

Yul Brynner was in Magnificent Seven too. I loved him...etc, etc, etc. I love the pictures.:yes:

for fear of giving him th ewrong name Dermott, Donald, david, douglas, deidre?

I'll just say it's the young man that shares Father Ted Crilley's bedroom. Hey, if I don't watch out, the wind will change and I'll be stuck with that face ( as my mother would say:eyebrow: )
The wind changes monday...disconnected:( I'd best see to it before then. Thanks for the reminder. I am trying to come up with a good quote too.........u know , me and decisions:huh: nothing like a deadline for motivation.)

crikes I'm going to open up the "get more" page just so I can:hug: :hug: :kiss: :heart: :hug: :hug: you maddie
rememberred means fast
that is the name of a local female soccer team. i can't wait to see them play with a name like that!! I saw a lamborgini yesterday a pink One!!!

so many of the actors I grew up with, gone...my sister LOVES clint eastwood.Even(can't say it0 is getting old...oh now I've done it... cass don't get morbid...again!!!
HOORAY for Hollywood....I think

bit of movie news.....near where I live there is a huge Sikh community from India. They own all the best agricultural land around Coffs Harbour and produce colossal amounts of food. One of the Bollywood studios are coming to check the area out, they'll love it! beautiful landscape imho...they know they will have heaps of extras available here. That will be exciting and colourful.

wheres that wind when u need it?

:wave:

Well looks like James will be cracking open a cold Schlitz Light in Heaven (most of you will be too young to get that). RIP

Last edited:
adamswildhoney said:
:sad:

? Wasnt he in City Slickers?
no
andy_garcia36.jpg

He was in quite a bit of movies. He was as the voice of the boss in Monsters inc if I am not mistaken. I always did like him. When I saw him in different movies (mostly as supporting a supporting char) I remember thinking wow that guy is still trucking. I know he had had (too many hads) a stroke earlier in his life and that had an effect on his had. If you take a look he would always be holding a cigar or something like that in it. Her is a list of all his films.

? Snow Dogs (2002)

? Monsters, Inc. (2001)

? Sister Act/ Sister Act 2 (2001)

? Deep Water (2000)

? Missing Pieces (2000)

? Proximity (2000)

? Affliction (1999)

? Noah's Ark (1999)

? Payback (1999)

? Affliction (1997)

? The Cherokee Kid (1997)

? Keys to Tulsa (1997)

? The Second Civil War (1997)

? Eraser (1996)

? The Nutty Professor (1996)

? Skeletons (1996)

? The Set Up (1995)

? Maverick (1994)

? A Christmas Reunion (1993)

? Deadfall (1993)

? The Hit List (1993)

? Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit (1993)

? Mastergate A Washington Scandal Of Hollywood Proportions! (1992)

? Hudson Hawk (1991)

? The Baltimore Bullet (1990)

? Young Guns 2 (1990)

? Combat - Masquerade (1989)

? Death of a Soldier (1985)

? Draw (1984)

? Martin's Day (1984)

? Digital Dreams (1983)

? Crossover (1982)

? Tuxedo Warrior (1982)

? High Risk (1981)

? Looker (1981)

? Loving Couples (1980)

? Firepower (1979)

? Golden Girl (1979)

? Cross of Iron (1977)

? Midway (1976)

? Sky Riders (1976)

? Bite the Bullet (1975)

? Hard Times (1975)

? The Internecine Project (1974)

? Massacre at Fort Holman (1974)

? The Last of Sheila (1973)

? Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973)

? A Fistful of Dynamite (1971)

? Candy (1968)

? In Like Flint (1967)

? The President's Analyst (1967)

? Waterhole #3 (1967)

? Dead Heat on a Merry-Go-Round (1966)

? Our Man Flint (1966)

? What Did You Do in the War, Daddy? (1966)

? The Loved One (1965)

? Major Dundee (1965)

? The Americanization of Emily (1964)

? Charade (1963)

? The Great Escape (1963)

? Hell Is for Heroes (1962)

? The Magnificent Seven (1960)

? Wanted: Dead or Alive - V. 1 (1959)

? Battle of Midway (1942)

Cameo
? The Disappearance of Kevin Johnson (1996)

Featured
? Steve McQueen - Man on the Edge (1987)

Narrator
? Borneo - An Island In The Clouds (1998)

Voice
? Monsters, Inc. (2001)

Back
Top Bottom