RIP Hutch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
This day in 1997:

Despatches
BBC Despatches
From Sydney

The Australian rock star Michael Hutchence has been found dead in a hotel room in Sydney. Unofficial reports suggest that he committed suicide but police are refusing to confirm this. Michael Hutchence was the lead singer in the band INXS and was about to begin a tour of Australia. Red Harrison reports:

The next official word on Michael Hutchence' death will come from the coroner his post mortem examination is also expected to explain the significance of a leather belt found in the hotel room. Police say there are no suspicious circumstances but refuse to confirm the cause of death or even the singers identity. A police report describes him only as a 37-year- old Australian who had lived in Britain. But Michael Hutchence's family and friends say they are deeply shocked at his death and are appealing for sympathy and privacy. The singer was preparing for a series of Australian concerts to celebrate the 20th anniversary of INXS, other members of the band were waiting for him in a studio when they learned of his death. INXS has sold more than 20 million records but headlines in recent years have dwelt more on Michael Hutchence private life and his association with the television presenter, Paula Yates and the daughter they named, Heavenly Hirana Tigerlilley.

:(

SD

I still remember exactly where I was and what happened when I found out that news. I spent the weekend crying in my room.

:sad: :heart: :sad:

Bonochick said:
I still remember exactly where I was and what happened when I found out that news. I spent the weekend crying in my room.

:sad: :heart: :sad:

I remember as well. I was in my Gram's livingroom with the radio on in my headphones. I couldn't believe it. And still can't get over why...Only since last year have I *really* been into INXS and can only imagine what could have been with them...

I was 15. It was Saturday night, and I'd just gotten home from the shoe store I worked at. I went online to go in my usual chatroom, and one of my friends asked me if I'd heard Michael Hutchence died. I told him that you should never joke about stuff like that, and he insisted it was true. He was pissing me off, so I went to MTV's web site to prove to him that it wasn't true, since surely MTV would have something at their site...but when I went to their site, that was the first thing I saw. I got off the computer, went in my room, and cried through Sunday.

I was helping with layout in the back room of the newspaper I was working for at the time when his death was announced on the radio. :sad: I just remember being totally shocked and kind of blocking it out of my mind because I didn't want to think about it.

Back
Top Bottom