RIP, Britpop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, Brit Pop...I hardly even knew you...

------------------
"Frisbetarians believe that when they die their soul goes up on the roof, and they can't get it down."

Bonochick's Place

I loved this part: "Look for Reuters to follow-up their news story with another article, tomorrow: 'Shitty Music A Hit In The United States - Officially.'"

Oh, what a curse we've brought upon our nation!

I miss Britpop already....
frown.gif

"I never meant to cause you trouble,
And I never meant to do you wrong...."--Dedicated to Britpop (?--2002)

When's the wake/funeral?

I love American pop-culture - it is much like the "culture" they do when I had strep-throat when I was young - or something you find in yogurt.

------------------

"Jesus wept."

Come crawling back, eh? Well that shit is gonna end when we come back this summer. Go buy our album, ask for our songs on the radio, and see us live. Yeah, thats fookin' right. Tweet? What the fook is that shite? Damn there's some serious problems with your folks' radio.

------------------
Reporter: Can you sum up Oasis in one word?
Me: ME!

you as the music buying public are the ones to make that true. not what reuters and billboard claim from sales charts.
you want to hear good music on the radio and in the charts, demand it!

that article is bullshit and sad.
they say it to be true, demand it not be.

ZooManda
Longtime Britpopgirl

Nobody REALLY likes Belle and Sebastian right? Right? I mean, even you Brits are aware that they're awful, whiney twerps right? The bee's knee's my ass.
The reason the current batch of Brit popsters have bombed in the U.S. is that we Americans prefer Brit bands with swagger and attitude. Swagger mind you, not mindless posturing (sorry Liam).
The Stones, the Beatles, the Who, U2, even Oasis and the Verve a little bit. What do they have in common? None of them are "precious", none of them whine, none of them are shoe gazers. None of them look, act and sing like they'd just as soon sit down with their cat (no girlfriend) and have a good cry as they would rock out.

The minute the Isles start producing more bands like U2, the Kinks and the Who again there will be another British Invasion. Until then please keep national treasures like Belle and Sebastian on your side of the Atlantic. PLEASE.

MAP

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
you as the music buying public are the ones to make that true. not what reuters and billboard claim from sales charts.
you want to hear good music on the radio and in the charts, demand it!

that article is bullshit and sad.
they say it to be true, demand it not be.

While its nice to believe that the radio stations and MTV will play what we want, the sad truth is that they will play whatever they think will sell, and whatever the record companies will promote. If it can't appeal to the dumb kinds, they won't promote it, and the vicious cycle continues.

And in fact, I'm certainly doing my part to help British music here. Out of my 46 CDs, here is the rundown by country:

UK: 17
USA: 16
Ireland: 12 (all by one specific band
wink.gif
)
Australia: 1

------------------
Change is the only constant

Aside from U2 (whom some sticklers continue to claim are, in fact, actually "Irish"), there haven't been any real movers and shakers from England over here in recent months.

How freaking difficult is it to recognise that although the two islands are seperated by only a small body of water, and although Britain occupies six counties of one of the islands, Britain and Ireland are DIFFERENT COUNTRIES.

It's not that difficult, right?
wink.gif

eh who cares if brit pop has fallen out of the mainstream media's eye. who cares about charts anyways, just continue buying the albums of bands you liked but everyone else doesn't like anymore, and continue listening to and buying indy music, while going to shows.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees:
How freaking difficult is it to recognise that although the two islands are seperated by only a small body of water, and although Britain occupies six counties of one of the islands, Britain and Ireland are DIFFERENT COUNTRIES.

It's not that difficult, right?
wink.gif

I think he was taking the piss.

personally I don't like most britpop

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Back
Top Bottom