RIP Barbaro - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:18 PM
RIP Barbaro

KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. -- Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro was euthanized Monday after complications from his breakdown at the Preakness last May.

"We just reached a point where it was going to be difficult for him to go on without pain," co-owner Roy Jackson said. "It was the right decision, it was the right thing to do. We said all along if there was a situation where it would become more difficult for him then it would be time."

Old 01-29-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Gee, that sucks. You don't hear about championship horses being destroyed anymore.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:18 PM
That's too bad, I was just reading about him yesterday and some of the set-backs he had recently with his recovery. They tried everything, it sounds like, and it's probably best to not make him suffer any more. Still, it's sad.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:14 PM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

i don't get the whole euthanizing thing... every human being over the age of 50 lives with pain on a daily basis... we don't go around killing them.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i don't get the whole euthanizing thing... every human being over the age of 50 lives with pain on a daily basis... we don't go around killing them.

I know.

I hate it myself, but maybe part of the reason why we do it is because animals cannot effectively communicate how much pain they're in, unlike humans. Sucky argument, but that's all I've got.

Poor Barbaro.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I have no doubt that they had his best interests in mind, they must have loved that horse very much. It was the right thing to do, but it is still so sad. RIP Barbaro

KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. (AP) -- Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro was euthanized Monday after complications from his breakdown at the Preakness last May.

"We just reached a point where it was going to be difficult for him to go on without pain," co-owner Roy Jackson said. "It was the right decision, it was the right thing to do. We said all along if there was a situation where it would become more difficult for him then it would be time."

Roy and Gretchen Jackson were with Barbaro on Monday morning, with the owners making the decision in consultation with chief surgeon Dean Richardson.

It was a series of complications, including laminitis in the left rear hoof and a recent abscess in the right rear hoof, that proved to be too much for the gallant colt, whose breakdown brought an outpouring of support across the country.

"I would say thank you for everything, and all your thoughts and prayers over the last eight months or so," Jackson said to Barbaro's fans.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:19 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Old 01-29-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:18 PM
What kind of a life can a horse have if he can't even stand on his own? I think it's a quality of life thing, and also the pain which is probably hard to guage
Old 01-29-2007, 01:50 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
EXACTLY!! I was just getting ready to say the same thing. And I'm not near 50 yet, but I have aches and pains every day. It's no reason to kill any creature. (I mean unless it's like terminal cancer) I hate to say it but a lot of times when people say they 'put an animal down for its own good' I wonder if maybe that's their justification for it being 'their' own good? Like my mother in law, she put down a 14 year old dog because he had hearing problems and bladder control issues and she didn't want to bother with letting him in and out all the time. His heart and other organs were perfectly healthy, he could have lived a few more years. And going 'he'd have wanted it this way', well, uhhh, until animals can talk, that doesn't cut it with me. In the case of these expensive race horses, it's probably the insurance money they're after once they're no longer useful
Old 01-29-2007, 02:05 PM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

i doubt they did it for the insurance money... a prized race horse is more valuable in retirement than he is when racing.

barbaro being put out to stud (i.e. he sits in a field and bangs other horses all day) would have brought in amounts of money unheard of in racing circles before.

they did it because they honestly felt it was the right thing to do to end the horse's suffering.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:09 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

I don't like the idea of killing animals either, but if a professional veterinarian is saying that the horse is suffering from insurmountable pain (I'm not talking about every day aches), so much so that the horse cannot fully function, I can understand the reasoning.

They tried to help Barbaro as long as they could. I give them credit for continuing to have hope until told for certain that the situation would not improve.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:19 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
i doubt they did it for the insurance money... a prized race horse is more valuable in retirement than he is when racing.

barbaro being put out to stud (i.e. he sits in a field and bangs other horses all day) would have brought in amounts of money unheard of in racing circles before.
This is probably why they did as much as they did for him. Most horses would've been killed immediately after sustaining the injury he had, but there's a lot of money in siring thoroughbreads.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:33 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Poor horse....I love horses they are so beautiful and majestic.
Rest in Peace Barbaro.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:55 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Old 01-29-2007, 04:01 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:18 PM
That's mighty fucking rude Dave.