RIP Barbaro - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2007, 01:00 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:25 AM
Once again: RIP Barbaro.
My guess is Barbaro didn't go to the glue works.
This poor thread snowballed out of control by folks who didn't take a few moments to filter their thoughts before typing them out.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:48 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

No glue factory for him - somehow I doubt that was ever a possibility with him - he could be buried at Churchill Downs or at some horse farm.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:21 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

I've heard they don't bury whole race horses, only their heads and hearts Guess they cremate the rest of them?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:00 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Where'd you hear that?
Old 01-31-2007, 11:15 AM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil

DaveC, judging by your subsequent replies after your so-called apology, I'm assuming it wasn't sincere in the first place. More like calculated. Too bad.

Also, if you want to know why we spend more time worrying about animals than AIDS orphans you should look something up on Marshall McLuhan. 'The Medium is the Message'...have you heard about him? He's Canadian. Look him up. Be a part of the solution.
You know what, screw you. This is getting comically ridiculous.

You obviously have some sort of problem with me, since you want to keep bringing it up. I apologized, and everyone else in this thread seems to have had the maturity to move on, except you.

If you've got an issue with me then so be it, send me a PM.

I don't give two shits whether you think my apology was sincere or not. It wasn't for your benefit anyways. I'm not sure why you even felt so impelled to threaten me and then question my motives in a thread you weren't even in before, and to which you made zero contribution other than to come after me.

So I'll say it again: what's your beef here? Be an adult and talk to me. Don't hide behind vague threats to report me or accuse me of insincerity.

And while you're at it, stop acting like you've got some kind of power over me. Where the hell did you get the idea that I was somehow waiting for you to approve of my apology post? Pull your head out of your ass and maybe you'll be able to see from up there on your high horse that we aren't all waiting with bated breath for your opinion on matters that aren't your business.

I'm a hell of a lot angrier over this than the language of this post suggests, but I don't much feel like being banned today.

For the time being you've been saved...barely.

(Sounds scary, doesn't it!

I pretty much had the same reaction to your post. )

ETA: For those of you who are here for reasons other than those mentioned in the above post, I'm again sorry for derailing the thread. I felt that I needed to reply to the quoted post. I'll get out of your hair once I see what happens.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:33 AM   #51
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
No glue factory for him - somehow I doubt that was ever a possibility with him - he could be buried at Churchill Downs or at some horse farm.
don't be so sure...

Quote:
Death of a Derby Winner: Slaughterhouse Likely Fate for Ferdinand
by Ray Paulick
Date Posted: July 25, 2003
Last Updated: July 25, 2003

Ferdinand, the 1986 Kentucky Derby winner who went on to capture the following year's Horse of the Year title with a dramatic victory over 1987 Derby hero Alysheba in the Breeders' Cup Classic, is dead. The Blood-Horse has learned the big chestnut son of Nijinsky II died sometime in 2002, most likely in a slaughterhouse in Japan, where his career at stud was unsuccessful.

Reporter Barbara Bayer, as detailed in an exclusive story in the July 26 issue of The Blood-Horse, attempted to learn of Ferdinand's whereabouts after a member of the Howard Keck family that owned and bred the horse inquired about having him returned to the United States, where he began his career at stud. As a racehorse, Ferdinand won eight of 29 starts and earned $3,777,978, retiring as what was then the fifth leading money winner of all time. His victory in the Kentucky Derby gave trainer Charlie Whittingham his first success in that classic, and it was the final career Derby win for jockey Bill Shoemaker.

Ferdinand was retired to stud in 1989 at Claiborne Farm near Paris, Ky., where he was foaled. His initial stud fee was $30,000 live foal, but he achieved little success as a stallion from his first few crops of runners.

Sold to Japan's JS Company in the fall of 1994 at a time when Japanese breeding farms were aggressively pursuing American and European breeding stock, Ferdinand spent six breeding seasons at Arrow Stud on the northern island of Hokkaido, from 1995-2000. Initially popular with local breeders (he was mated to 77 mares his first year), Ferdinand was bred to just 10 mares in his final year at Arrow, and his owners opted to get rid of him.

After efforts by the farm staff to place Ferdinand with a riding club failed, he passed into the hands of a Monbetsu, Japan, horse dealer named Yoshikazu Watanabe and left the farm Feb. 3, 2001. No attempt was made to contact either the Keck family or Claiborne Farm.

Bayer at first was told by Watanabe that Ferdinand had been "given to a friend." When she asked for more information, she was told Ferdinand "was gelded and I think he's at a riding club far away from here." In fact, records showed Ferdinand was bred to six mares in 2001 and then two in 2002. He spent a period of time at Goshima Farm near Niikappu, where a former handler at Arrow Stud had seen him.

Finally, when Bayer told Watanabe she wanted to see Ferdinand, the story changed yet again. "Actually, he isn't around anymore," she was told. "He was disposed of late last year." Ferdinand's registration in Japan was annulled Sept. 1, 2002, Bayer learned.

"In Japan, the term 'disposed of' is used to mean slaughtered," Bayer wrote in The Blood-Horse. "No one can say for sure when and where Ferdinand met his end, but it would seem clear he met it in a slaughterhouse."

"Unfortunately, to those well-versed in the realities beyond the glitter and glory of the racetrack, it comes as no surprise," Bayer wrote. "Ferdinand's story is the story of nearly every imported stallion in Japan at that point in time when the figures no longer weigh in his favor. In a country where racing is kept booming by the world's highest purses and astronomical betting revenues, Ferdinand's fate is not the exception. It is the rule."

"That's just disgusting," said Dell Hancock, whose family operates Claiborne Farm, upon hearing the news of Ferdinand's likely fate. "It's so sad, but there is nothing anyone can do now except support John Hettinger's efforts to stop the slaughter of Thoroughbreds in this country. That wouldn't change anything in Japan...to have this happen to a Derby winner is just terrible."

While the Japanese are among the societies that consume horse meat, it is more likely a slaughtered Thoroughbred would be used for pet food, since the meat consumed by humans is a certain breed of horse raised specifically for that purpose. The slaughter of no longer useful imported breeding stock and many domestic Japanese Thoroughbreds is not uncommon. Shortages of land and the high cost of maintaining a pensioned horse are reasons slaughter is considered an alternate. As in the U.S., where slaughter is also an option available for horse owners, a number of organizations are attempting to provide homes for retired and pensioned racehorses, stallions, and mares. The Japan Racing Association funds one program that currently benefits 90 horses.

Among the people Bayer met and spoke with while trying to learn of Ferdinand's fate was Toshiharu Kaibazawa, who worked as a stallion groom at Arrow Stud during the horse's years there. He called the former champion "the gentlest horse you could imagine. He'd come over when I called to him in the pasture. And anyone could have led him with just a halter on him. ... He'd come over to me and press his head up against me. He was so sweet."

"I want to get angry about what happened to him," Kaibazawa added. "It's just heartless, too heartless."
Old 01-31-2007, 12:14 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

don't be so sure...

Then again, maybe you can be sure:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...l=chi-news-hed

Quote:
Barbaro May Be Buried at Churchill Downs

By Associated Press
Published January 30, 2007, 12:50 PM CST

KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. -- Barbaro's final resting place could be just a few hundred yards from the scene of his greatest triumph in the Kentucky Derby.

Officials at the Kentucky Derby Museum, located on the grounds of Churchill Downs, said Tuesday they'd be "honored" if Barbaro were buried in a garden along with four other Derby winners.

"We've expressed to them how honored we'd be to have Barbaro here," Lynn Ashton, executive director of the museum, said. "We feel like we're bringing horses back to be honored."

The grave sites of Derby winners Sunny's Halo (1983), Carry Back (1961), Swaps (1955) and Brokers Tip (1933) are located outside on the museum grounds.

Owners Gretchen and Roy Jackson said Monday a final decision on where Barbaro would be buried had not been made. Other possibilities include the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, Ky., and the Jacksons' Lael Farm, just a few miles away from the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center.

The Jacksons did not immediately return phone calls Tuesday morning.

Barbaro was euthanized Monday after complications from his gruesome breakdown at last year's Preakness, ending an eight-month ordeal that made him even more of a hero than he was as an undefeated Derby winner.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:55 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrPryck2U
Where'd you hear that?
I've always heard that. Secretariat was done that way
Old 01-31-2007, 03:00 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Kitty, you're partially right. Thoroughbread horses usually only have their head, heart and legs buried. But, in Secretariat's case, his whole body was buried.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:44 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrPryck2U
But, in Secretariat's case, his whole body was buried.
I'm glad
Old 01-31-2007, 10:17 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
ETA: For those of you who are here for reasons other than those mentioned in the above post, I'm again sorry for derailing the thread. I felt that I needed to reply to the quoted post. I'll get out of your hair once I see what happens.
Dear sweet Jesus, Dave. Are you crazy? I think you might be. When I said “you saved yourself,” it wasn’t from “my wrath,” it was from being an eternal idiot after your initial remarks. So you apologized, but then kept the idiocy running with your smiley reply to Indra’s post–a post that nailed the exact reason you should have apologized in the first place.

Just for the record, this is the picture you posted, and quickly took down earlier in the thread:

http://www.worth1000.com/web/media/106585/glue.jpg

Personally, I don’t have a major problem with that. It’s a little inappropriate, yes, but it’s also dark humour. I’m all over that in a heartbeat. For example, I’ve been known to cuddle with my dog and joke in a high-pitched voice that I'm going to stick her in the oven and eat her for dinner. (Thankfully, because she only speaks French, she hasn’t reported me yet.)

Quote:

Err...It's a horse.

I prefer to reserve my grief for sapient life.

I could have pulled out the quote on the 'bacteria in your mouth,' or some other part of your strange rant, but the one above pretty much illustrates the problem. You obviously have little respect for animal life, aside from human life. Even the most ardent of hunters still have respect for the animals they take. There's room for that, Dave. You can also debate all you want about the merits of horse-racing, but that's not really the issue. It's about an animal living in pain, plain and simple.

It's a pretty sad commentary that I have more respect for a dead horse than I do for you, and your lack of empathy. Maybe in time you'll grow a heart, and we can go for a lovely horseback ride in the country to reconcile our differences.

I sure hope so
Old 01-31-2007, 10:58 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Whatever. You obviously don't know a damn thing about me, and you aren't worth the time it would take to write out a thoughtful reply.

See you around.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:13 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:25 AM
Ok, my mom has rode horses all of her life and I've rode horses and showed horses for a while too..

of course it's sad that a horse is being put to sleep when the horse did nothing to deserve it, but a horse doesn't comprehend as much as people would do. horses don't speak english guys and they can't have a conversation with you! if a professional vet says that a horse if suffering a huge amount of pain, and doesn't even know or get why it's feeling what it's feeling, i'd put the horse to sleep because the horse doesn't deserve to live the rest of it's life in unimanginal pain.

to add to this, the worst stress that could be put on a horse is horse racing, it's not cruel and unusual like whipping a horse, but it puts a lot of stress on the horse..

and to also add, i have 2 dogs and i love them to death..but i also eat meat...i say what does it matter if the cow is dead now? you are not saving it's life by not eating it, it's already dead and on a supermarket shelf...
Old 01-31-2007, 11:19 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:55 AM
Quote:
See you around.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:03 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I guess maybe the lesson learned in this thread is that it doesn't pay to contradict others just for contradiction's sake.
I want to thank U2Kitten for teaching me that thoroughbred racehorses usually only have their heads, hearts and legs buried. I never would've looked that up on Wikipedia if I didn't doubt it to begin with. I would assume that they respectfully dispose of the rest of the horse's remains.
Barbaro was a champion racehorse and his handlers did the best they could to improve his quality of life, but Barbaro took a turn for the worse. As a result, the owners had no choice but to euthanize Barbaro. A truly difficult decision.
RIP Barbaro.
I would just suggest closing this thread because I believe its run its course.