RIP- Alt-rock radio station WHFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OnFire

Acrobat
Infinity broadcasting pulled the plug without any warning on alt-rock pioneering radio station WHFS, 99.1 in Washington DC. It is now a spanish language music station.

Anyone who lives in the DC area knows this station has been a shadow of it's former self for years, basically undistinguishable from competitor DC101. Once opon a time though, this was one of the boldest and most innovative stations in the US, helping to launch the careers of many previously obscure artists and it's annual HFStival was a major early summer concert event.

They played Jeff Buckley's "Last Goodbye" and signed off for good.

that sucks, really bad, we lost WOXY last year here in Cincinnati, was the only station i bothered to listen to, they revived as an interenet only, which is nice, still wish i was on the air though.

FM radio is really a dying medium anyway, unfortunately. Corporate homogenization.

Melon

melon said:
FM radio is really a dying medium anyway, unfortunately. Corporate homogenization.

Melon

So true, I keep holding out hope for a revival but I feel like Alt-rock is also becoming a dying medium.

I live in DC. This station use to be AMAZING as OnFire alluded to. HFStival was a great event for a long time.

In the last few years of course HFS had been dying (imo but then again i do not like nonsense like linkin park)

Even though I do not listen to the radio much anymore this sucks for the DC area. I hate the clear channels and infinity broadcastings of the world even more now.

I was surprised yesterday when I turned it on in the car. There was spanish music coming from it. No warning at all, just switched. Oh well looks like it will be cd's from now all the time. Nothing really good on the radio anyway. :sigh:

mdw3935 said:
Oh well looks like it will be cd's from now all the time. Nothing really good on the radio anyway. :sigh:

It's been that way for a long time here. The one supposedly "rock" station along with some decent enough songs, plays Simple Plan, Sum41 and other such canadian treasures!!:|

OnFire said:

So true, I keep holding out hope for a revival but I feel like Alt-rock is also becoming a dying medium.

Most of what gets played on radio (at least US radio) as alt rock or just alternative, isn't representative of what's out there in the genre. The music is there...but I can't see mass market radio ever wanting to play it. Too niche audience oriented to be commercially viable.

wtf? ooh my aunt must be pissed. then again, she never leaves her apartment anymore so she probably hasn't listened to the radio since the summer when she'd sit out by the pool. she lives in the area and i remember her telling me the several times she went to the hfstival and all the great bands she saw.

Back
Top Bottom