Ringo Starr is a Jerk!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asr

Acrobat
I know individuals are entitled to their musical tastes and opinions, but for God's sake, have a little TACT!

In the 40th Anniversary edition of Rolling Stone magazine, Ringo stated that he thought the Police's performance at the opening of the Grammys was "boring" and that he wished they could have "livened it up."

This comming from a drummer who is not even a quarter as talented as Stewart Copeland. I love the Beatles as much as the next person, but this reminds of when George Harrison bashed U2
during their POP/PopMart phase.

At least that performance of Roxanne was better than the two Anthology songs combined.

BTW, Leonard Bernstein once said that the Police were "better than the Beatles."

Last edited:
It's not like he said they weren't good musicians. Even good musicians have rough nights. I didn't see the grammys, but still. I don't think Ringo said anything out of line here.

UnforgettableLemon said:
It's not like he said they weren't good musicians. Even good musicians have rough nights. I didn't see the grammys, but still. I don't think Ringo said anything out of line here.

:up: I did see the Grammy's, well, The Police's performance at least. And yes, they did need a bit more rehearsal . . . but I think that would be expected of any band who had a hiatus of so many years and had probably only been rehearsing for a couple weeks or so.

I liked the "jazzy" way they did Roxanne, but I could see how others might not appreciate it. And again, they definitely were not tight or "in the pocket".

I really don't think Ringo was that far off. And even if he was, I don't think that warrants his entire person being written off as a "jerk".

Take a deep breath, and hope that by the time The Police get to your town they are well-rehearsed and on fire!

I like Ringo a lot. Perhaps what he said was taken out of context as Rolling Stone has done in the past to many celebrities. He could very well have said that they needed to perhaps liven it up, but I don't know about boring. Ringo is a great drummer and no jerk! Let it be said.

If he thought the performance was boring, why not say so?

He's entitled to his opinion. More people should say what they think. It's called honesty. If you don't like something, say so.

The Brothers Gallagher have mastered it. Good on 'em. They are a rare breed.

asr said:

BTW, Leonard Bernstein once said that the Police were "better than the Beatles."

I really don't think they're comparable acts. It's like saying Bob Marley is better than Warren Zevon.

asr said:
In the 40th Anniversary edition of Rolling Stone magazine, Ringo stated that he thought the Police's performance at the opening of the Grammys was "boring" and that he wished they could have "livened it up."

So what? I agree with him too! They could have picked something like Every Little Thing or anything other than the cliched Roxanne.

Re: Re: Ringo Starr is a Jerk!!!!

Zootlesque said:

So what? I agree with him too! They could have picked something like Every Little Thing or anything other than the cliched Roxanne.

cliche or kickass?

I say kickass.

:slant: I've always found Roxanne to be one of the most boring of The Police's songs. And I'm sure it's in part due to radio overplay!

Ringo Starr and George Harrison. The least talented blokes on the world's most over rated band of all time.

Still, they can have an opinion like anyone else.

That interview was a good one otherwise. He did say some interesting and profound things about modern society. The title of my thread was abrasive because I get sick of ex-Beatles insulting bands that still exist, and are productive, while they sit on their asses and "glorify the past, while the future dries up" as Bono once sang.

intedomine said:

He's entitled to his opinion. More people should say what they think. It's called honesty. If you don't like something, say so.

Very well said! Nice Oasis reference...

intedomine said:

Perfect exampleThey certianly don't keep their opinions to themselves. :rolleyes:

Whatever happened to freedom of speech?

Is the drummer from the worlds most influential band ever not allowed to have an opinion?

I'm surprised that somebody at the Rolling Stone actually took the time to listen to what Ringo had to say.

The Beatles are NOT sacrosanct.
Seems that all of the ex-Beatles have a hard time showing respect to other artists.
Not fine. :|

Sometimes I wish Adam Clayton or Bono could come out one day and say something like:

"The White Stripes? I think they're shite. Don't like 'em at all."

dietcokeofevil said:
Ringo Starr and George Harrison. The least talented blokes on the world's most over rated band of all time.

Still, they can have an opinion like anyone else.

If anything the Beatles are underated.

asr said:
I know individuals are entitled to their musical tastes and opinions, but for God's sake, have a little TACT!

This comming from a drummer who is not even a quarter as talented as Stewart Copeland. I love the Beatles as much as the next person, but this reminds of when George Harrison bashed U2
during their POP/PopMart phase.

At least that performance of Roxanne was better than the two Anthology songs combined.

it was boring, who cares what leonard bernstein thinks, and sting is a twat.

Back
Top Bottom