Ring designs for men (advice needed).

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cleasai

Rock n' Roll Doggie
My Grandmother's health has been declining quite swiftly as of late. As a touching gesture and gift for me, she's looking at melting hers and my Grandfather's wedding rings together to form a new ring for me. :sad: Actually I think she's also gonna blend in her engagement ring as well. So what I need to figure out, is what's a nice ring for a man to have? This is not intended to be a future wedding ring for me. It's just a ring of their affection for me. I'm actually very touched but also floored. I've scoured the internet looking for ideas and have come across a couple that peaked my interest.

SJR122-G9T.jpg

I really liked the scroll work on this. For the Diamond, it could always be inset inside the design. Problem is that side of the family does not have Celt lineage. In fact they were Saxons.

f9737c.jpg

Simple and refined. I really like the duo-tone look as well. one of the rings being melted, is a 14k White Gold so this could work (may need to ad more though). [Edited to mention: Diamond would also be inset in this ring as well]

Other than that, I've got nothing. So all y'all out there who know their diamonds and rings... can you give me any suggestions? We're visiting a place tomorrow tht does customization so we're gonna query how much and what they can do.

Last edited:
Wow. That's a really lovely thing to do.

My only advice would be to go with a design that *you* like and is special to you. Lots of unmarried guys wear rings now, in all kinds of interesting designs. They're generally wider, but that's all I've ever noticed to be "gender specific."

If you like the Celtic ring, there's nothing wrong with that and it is rather symbolic of the new ring--ongoing life, eternity, etc. :) You could also look into some Saxon or Norse designs. There are many motifs that look very similar to Celtic designs and they tended to borrow from each other.

And I would avoid anything that looks overly like a wedding ring, unless it doesn't bother you--but the second picture does resemble a wedding ring more.

You could even keep the diamond seperate, if you want, and use it in a future engagement or wedding ring?

Last edited:
I like both designs but the latter does look more like a wedding band. One thing you might want to consider is getting the ring engraved with either a name or a date.

What AvsGirl41 said. I really like the first one. :yes:

Or what Fah said, and getting the second one and having the outside engraved in a nice font (what do you call that in real life? :huh: ) with names, a date, or a line from a poem or quote that reminds you of your grandparents, sort of like this:

PG7902G.jpg

that is so sweet of them to do that. i like the first one, and the examples meegannie posted. i also agree that it'd be a great idea to save the diamond for your future wife. you can buy rings where it's just got the tangs (i think that's what the thingies that hold the gemstone are called) and no diamond.

I really like the first one. Avsgirl is right, some Saxon designs look alot like the Celtic. Find one you like. The designs meeganie posted are beautiful also.

I say keep it simple.

f9272b.jpg

a8651b.jpg

I am generally a huge fan of minimalism, because you might not like the inscription or whatever later; and, as I'm sure you know, this one should be made to last.

Melon

Thanks for the ideas. I liked everyone's feedback. We finally made it to the jewelers yesterday. Although we went in with every intention of making a custom ring (and price wasn't really an issue) we just found that their catalog of rings had some decent choices. I ended up choosing a shiney 24k gold ring with the 1/4k diamond inset in the center. Sorta like the one Melon pointed out. Problem is that two of the old rings were duo-tone so they would not look "attractive" when melted together. I also now have my Great-Grandfather's Wedding band which I'll use hopefully if I ever get married :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom