Ridleys new film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
.....'something Black Hawk' (Dung or Brong or somethin......!!!)

anyway, has it been out in the States yet, is it any good/worth seein does one know??????????

biggrin.gif

Never heard of it.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

I think it's called "Black Hawk Down." Haven't seen it but it's creating interest 'cause it's about the U.S. involvment in Somalia in the early 90's and feels relevant to our post 9-11 world.

Ah yes, thats it Pubby!!!!!

Goshy, trust me to feck everyting up!
rolleyes.gif

ya wouldnt want me in america.......Id have everyones minds all screwed round and round.........
wink.gif

!!!!!

anyway yep, I though America always got film 3 weeks before we do or somethin......
confused.gif

I was just wonderin if this new film will be a 'biggie for the moment'....
smile.gif

I'm pretty sure "Black Hawk Down" is currently playing only in NY and LA...rest of US gets it 1-18 I believe.

[This message has been edited by Hewson (edited 01-09-2002).]

looks like a nice peice of flag waving is about all.
it's produced by jerry bruckheimer so it's gonna be a little more blockbuster than insightful(yes 1 movie can be both, just not this one, imo)
but hey if you like the men in the uniform...
smile.gif

------------------
itsyourworldyoucanchangeit

Well, it's got Ewan McGregor, Josh Hartnett, and Orlando Bloom.
eek.gif

But seriously-I can't stomach those violent war movies. If I see them in the theater, I close my eyes through most of the movie.

I wait to rent them-then fast forward when necessary.

this film is incredibly violent.

the first twenty minutes is innocuous (for a war film), but the last hour and a half is non-stop warfare. in comparision, it blows the first twenty minutes of 'saving private ryan' clean out of the water.

be prepared. it is thoroughly disturbing.

With Jerry Bruckheimer ("Pearl Harbor") involved, it will most certainly take action before fact. Ridley Scott ("Alien," "Blade Runner") may, at least, keep it a bit more interesting, but he has been a mixed bag in regards to his films. I may check it out.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Ah, thanks for mentioning this film. I haven't had a chance to talk about Ioan Gruffudd all week, but now I can tell you all that he is in Black Hawk Down!
biggrin.gif

.....hmmmm.......best not go then.....
frown.gif

better sticking to romantics like 'Seredipity'(?)

we gonna see that Bruce Willis movie though, prob tomorrow night, the one where he protects his family?

Prob a suspense hyped up!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Honestly could not take this film, even to see Josh Harnett (oooooooo) and Ewan McGregor. It is not a date film. Don't go to it for "entertainment." It is constant, relentless battle and violence (all realistic). It makes you think about all the young men like are in Afganistan right now, and made me think of Platoon. That General sat back in his comfy tent giving all kinds of bad commands, and those men were in total chaos. In no way was this at all an "enjoyable" film in any respect. Go to it for the history, and to see what went on in Somalia.

wait, hold the presses, Ion Gunnfield or whatever, that Welsh actor, was in this? You can't tell who you are looking at after the beginning because they're all covered in blood, dirt, wounds, and they have buzz cuts. Could not even identify Ewan most of the time, and Josh only by his eyes. Did not see Ion's name in the cast, or did I miss it? What did he play?

[This message has been edited by U2live (edited 01-11-2002).]

I wouldn't see it and it actually got very bad reviews here, both on a historical note than on a cinematography view.

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : www.unesco.org

Ej?rcito Zapatista de Liberaci?n Nacional (EZLN) : www.ezln.org
"The one who governs with weapons is surely poor in ideas" - Marcos

Solidarit?s : <A HREF="http://www.solidarites.org

Parti" TARGET=_blank>www.solidarites.org

Parti</A> pour une Alternative Progressiste : www.parti-rap.org

Back
Top Bottom