Ride The Lightning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Metallica's 'Ride The Lightning' is imo the greatest heavy metal record ever recorded. 'Master Of Puppets' and '...And Justice For All' are great too but RTL is a step above them.

"Ride The Lightning"
"For Whom The Bell Tolls"
"Fade To Black"
"Escape"
"Creeping Death"
"Call Of The Ktulu"

:drool:

Fade To Black in particular is just an incredible song.

When I look at old-school Metallica and then at what they've become, it just makes me sad.

Old-school Metallica :rockon:

'For Whom the Bell Tolls' is easily my favorite Metallica song. Great stuff :up:

Bunbury said:
I love all the core Metallica albums, but MOP is the top one IMO

Yeah, right, you like St. Anger more than all of them. Clown shoes.

This is Bumberry:

st.anger.jpg

Look how hard he is.

Fade To Black, Creeping Death and For Whom The Bell Tolls are classics, but for me, Puppets takes place over Ride - and these 3 words will explain my reasoning.....Trapped Under Ice

:giggle:

:rockon:

I like metallica records...especially the vinyl run-off around the label...

ZING.

Bunbury said:

No way man! this is me:
tim.jpg

Hahahaha. :up:

This looks like a shirt you'd get (it's almost worth getting even if you absolutely hate Shadows Fall):

eatingemoT.jpg

Fight Fire With Fire vs. Battery
BATTERY, for being one of the greatest metal album openers ever. And it's about--hitting people! Hard!

Ride the Lightning vs. Master of Puppets
MASTER OF PUPPETS, for being such an epic track. This is really miles beyond what they were doing on the first two records.

For Whom the Bell Tolls vs. The Thing That Should Not Be
FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS, just one of the most awesome Metallica tracks ever. That drum fill after "it's the last time you will" rules.

Fade to Black vs. Sanitarium
FADE TO BLACK. One of the all-time best guitar solos. No contest. Their best "ballad" ever.

Trapped Under Ice vs. Disposeable Heroes
DISPOSEABLE HEROES, some of the best lyrics in the band's career. Really underrated song.

Escape vs. Leper Messiah
LEPER MESSIAH. It's a song called "Leper Messiah"!!! You can't beat that! And it has a funky metal groove.

Creeping Death vs. Damage, Inc. (I'm shuffling the songs here to compare instrumental to instrumental).
DAMAGE, INC. Some people think Creeping Death is one of Metallica's best songs. I've never been a huge fan. My personal preference is for the Puppets track, and I honestly think it's the better song. The intro's amazing...this album is like the Revolver of heavy metal. The closest call.

Call of Khtulu vs. Orion
ORION. Hard to argue against this. Orion is their best instrumental, and maybe stronger than several of the songs with vocals on this album. Cliff Burton rules, and although Hammett is the lead guitarist, Hetfield's solo is quite soulful on this one.

Master of Puppets wins this head-to-head easily. Perhaps Lightning would have better luck going against And Justice for All. It's certainly better than that sell out Black Album and all the crap that came after it.

laz

Oh....Laz - I read ur post all the way thru, agreeing with all of it, and then u left yourself down with the final paragraph!:( :wink:

Seriously, you don't like ANY of the songs off the Black album? 'My Friend Of Misery' is my pick....:drool:
And I know so many ppl slag Load and Re-Load, but both have at least a couple of classics imo... 'Fuel' 'Devils Dance' 'Fixxxer' 'Mama Said' 'King Nothing' 'Ronnie'.......ok, im taking the piss with the last one there!:wink:

And S&M to me, was a triumph! One of the best albums of the 90's. 'No Leaf Clover'.....:drool:

Garage Inc. had a few decent covers on there, Disc 1 being my fave. 'Astronomy'....:drool:

Ok St. Anger flopped, but I still think if this had been a debut album from a brand new band, it would've been praised in the metal world. But cos ppl expected a certain style from Metallica, they were easily dissapointed. Which is a shame I think, as the album does contain some almighty tracks. But no way enough to make this anywhere high in their top5 album list.

Ride the Lighting is teriffic

Master of Puppets is unbelievably brilliant. Hands down Metallica's best effort.

PS, I really liked the Black album & like a few tracks from St Anger:reject:

Numb1075 said:
Ride the Lighting is teriffic

Master of Puppets is unbelievably brilliant. Hands down Metallica's best effort.

PS, I really liked the Black album & like a few tracks from St Anger:reject:

Dont hide my son - Black was a superb album, and St Anger had 1 or 2 blistering songs on there!:rockon:

Metallica went from crafting long epic songs about a myriad of subjects to little radio friendly bites about "personal" stuff or other less-interesting subjects. Go look at the average song length on those first 4 albums and then compare that to The Black Album and everything after. The recordings themselves became less innovative, less layered, much less cool. It's as if they regressed to a more infantile type of songwriting.

While I'll give them credit for rocking full throttle on St. Anger, where are the SONGS? The whole damned album was little segments edited together with Pro Tools. That's not music. I appreciate Hetfield's rehab inspired lyrics and there are a few decent selections but it's not even a gnat on the ass of Puppets.

Let's talk about Iron Maiden, who mutated their sound in a more natural way, and didn't betray what made them so great. 25 years later and they still sound like themselves.

lazarus said:
Let's talk about Iron Maiden, who mutated their sound in a more natural way, and didn't betray what made them so great. 25 years later and they still sound like themselves.

"When ur lying in ur sleep, when ur lying in ur bed, and u wake from ur dreams to go dancing with the dead"....:rockon:

Originally posted by Aardvark747

Garage Inc. had a few decent covers on there,
Disc 1 being my fave. 'Astronomy'....:drool:

Although, Blue Oyster Cult's original version "takes the cake" !! :bow:
I did finally hear that tune !! :applaud:
Yes siree, indeed !! :up:
Not bad at all (for a cover) ... Not bad at all !! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom