Rick Rubin just produced the new Neil Diamond record.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really? I remember when UB40 released their version of Red, Red Wine. I hated it but Neils been doing a pseudo reggae version ever since (Including at the show I went to this year) and now Im used to it. lol

Who else has song, Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon? Im a Believer, The Monkees sang originally but I don't recall any one else singing Girl, Youll Be A Woman Soon.

Mind you I wouldnt be surprised. Ive reached the age where most of the songs are covers of old songs. Even covers of old shit. This week I heard someone do a new version of that Sheila E 'Glamourous Life" crap song :crazy:

Pulp Fiction is one of the only movies I have only walked out of. (That and Mad Max II).

Cracklin Rosie is an excellent song. My favs would be
* Solitary Man
* Sweet Caroline
* Hello Again (fabulous singing and Im usually more a fan of music rather than singing)

and some others. Im blanking at the moment.

Neils tour booklet is the best tour booklet ever ever eva!!!1. Brilliantly produced as are his concerts. A showman and a professional.
:drool:

Its a lazy Saturday afternoon so forgive me.

After the concert I wrote down some notes and unfortunately never went back to them. So here they are, post concert wankery included. :wink:

-----------------

I recall, as a child, my house hosting Neil Diamond parties in the 1970's. Yes, all the music for the entire party was Neil Diamond. We all wore our best clothes - orange and brown floral, floor length, halter neck dresses. Matching of course. Not only did I match my sister but my mother and the curtains as well.

Fast Forward to Saturday 19th March 2005, Subiaco Football Oval, Perth.

I arrange to meet Lynda outside the Subiaco Markets. While I wait I hear the passerbys, smell the Grecian 2000, and watch the advertising mopeds circle one more time.

I overheard two women in their 30s."Which way?" said one. "Follow the glittery shirts" was her friends reply. It was very much a polyster affair.

The show wasn't full but there were still a decent amount of people. We were on the floor. FL B7 N 20. Yes it took us a while to work out where that was.

Past the soft drinks sales, quite a cue. The beer tents, a small queue. And then past the longest queue of them all, yes, it was the icecream truck. Purchased the Tour Programme. $20. A bit steep but the book is lush, one of the best tour programmes I have seen. Many, many high quality photographs.

We found our seats, most of which had been bound together by some kind of plastic tie.

The lights go down, its dark... except it isn't the moon and the stars were sparkly bright. I could see the audience clearly.

Crunchy Granola Suite, which in my head is the sterotypical Neil Diamond opening song. Perfect.

Desiree, oh Deiree,
Beutiful Noise filled the stadium. This was the first big, everyone cheering song. Went down well. Bought back memories of

Commented that as he hadnt been to Perth for a while there were many songs to be played, or something to that effect.

Play Me - You are the words I am the tune, play me. Indeed we did. Beautiful. He might not be able to hold the long notes but he sure can still hit the deep notes.

Then the songs from the Jazz Singer - Love On the Rocks, You Dont bring me flowers which Neil duetted with backing singer Linda Press.

America, the odd song inclusion for the night. The people behind me were taking bets that America would not be performed. Indeed it was and with the same patriotic bravado as I imagine Neil introduces the song as he does in the USA. 10 out of 10 for tenacity.

Forever in Blue Jeans. As a child I actually thought this song was called Reverand Blue Jeans. I tell this to Lynda who laughs and proceeds to sing Reverand Blue Jeans.

A song about hanging with the band. Includes most of their names and is used as a vehicle to introduce the band to the audience.

After every song he thanked the audience, reached out and then withdrew his hands to his heart, dipped his head, and thanked the audience.

Sunsets and seagulls are displayed on the two screens for the next few songs - Be, etc.

Holly Holy

Sweet Caroline, Neil smiles, he KNOWS this one is going to blow the stars from the sky. And indeed it does. We all sing along.

I'm a Believer

Shilo. This song suprised me with how up and bopping the crowd were.

Red. Thats all Neil needed to say was 'Red'. The cheers went up, the crowd clapped. Neil stopped and smiled. Paused. "Red" We laugh, cheer, clap. Neil hams it up to the audience. Pauses.

"Wine" and hes off. The song starts mellow enough, includes a number of raps and brakes into a UB40 inspired "rasta beat". (His words)

Soolamon. The backing singers don African gowns and shake those shell covered gourd things.

One of my favourites. I Am I Said. Neil missed some of the big notes. In "I Am I Said' he sat down for the "alone" line changed the phrasing and the band got louder. One way to hide that he didnt hit 'alone". Not that it mattered he was still in fine voice for an old dude.

Cracklin Rosie

Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show

and finishes on a song I do not know. I see the camera man put his camera down. The show is ending. The lights go up, its light.

Despite lack of Longfellow Serenade, Song Sung Blue,Turn on Your Heartlight

The most up tempo the evening got was Neil singing 2 uptempo songs in a row. The rest were ballads. At one point 5 or 6 ballads in a row. He was entertaining and thanked the audience after every song. Not that the audience was participating very much. A bit of a sit down crowd.

He then tried to make us focus on each other by telling us to turn to the right, and say to that person: "I love you so much." The woman to my left laughed and declared her love for me.

The light show was blinding in places. Bits that rotated and flashed white light at the crowd.

Other musicians. The girls flirted with him during a deliberatly badly written song.

2 hours, no break

Music was sometimes louder than Neil who jived across the stage.

------

:huh: Whatever. He was brilliant! Absolute professional. One of the last great showmen :drool:

Last edited:
this sounds very interesting.
my first concert ever was Neil Diamond when I was 11 or 12.

Hot August Night is my fav album of his and I Am, I Said among my favorite songs.

He does have some cheesy stuff, but he also has some sheer brilliance in his past. Hasn't released anything noteworthy since about 1980, mostly schmaltzy ballads and contemporary adult fluff. Working with Rubin only leads me to think of the Cash records. Hopefully they are in the same vein.

MrBrau1 said:
I never knew he wrote..." I'm A Believer."

Heh, I did (thanks, Mom)-that song's not too bad. Like "Red, Red Wine", too. He's written for quite a lot of people, if I understand rightly.

I don't know much of his stuff. From what I have heard, though, meh, he's okay :). I have heard he is a good showman, so, you know, I can respect that :up:.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom