Rick Rubin is producing the next Metallica album.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hopefully metallica can follow up their latest critically acclaimed masterpiece 'st. anger' with something equally as focussed and mesmerizing.

A zombie would be better for them than Bob Rock.

He ruined them. Made them lots of cash, but he ruined them.
Well, to be fair, James and Lars did their share as well.

Rubin? Well he's great, but he's not Midas. It's up to the artist to bring the goods, and unless Rubin can sing, he probably can't help Metallica that much. A producer can help of course, and he can hurt, but I'm not sure if Rubin's strengths help Metallica all that much.

I don't think it will be bad and I think it will be better than St. Anger (which I like and feel that it was a stepping stone) but I don't know, it seems like getting Rick Rubin is kind of a safe choice. I wish they would do something more extreme and hire a diferent producer. I can't see what he can add to them much, I think he will be there more to tell them what is good and what is bad and take care of the sound, not the songwritting, but I might be wrong.

I'm very excited about this new record though, they're still great songwritters and I think they probably got better since St. Anger. As much as I liked what they did with Bob Rock I think this is the time for a new producer. Plus it will be great to see what will Rob add to Metallica. Kirk has said that this new album will probably have solos so I think he's going to do a great job with them cause the last records they did with solos is from 97 so it's been a long time since he had to really write a bunch of them.

Aardvark747 said:
St Anger 2 would be excellent imo.
I wouldn’t mind that either at all but I think that would be their ruin publicly. Which is a damn shame as St. Anger has some great songs and some very special moments. However I think that that record really was a stepping stone, they were feeling emotionally raw and very contemplative of life and that totally translates to the music, lyrics and songwriting ideas in that record. This time around I think they are much more confident in themselves and feeling much stronger and found some of the answers for the questions that were on St. Anger so I think that the album will be different in a good way. Damn, I’ve been watching Phil Towle on that documentary far too much. :ohmy: :wink:

they couldn't do any worse than the pro-tools abortion that was saint anger.

could they?

p.s. lars is a douche. and im pretty sure that new bassist is a shaved gorilla from the zoo. with downs syndrome.

bollox said:
they couldn't do any worse than the pro-tools abortion that was saint anger.

could they?

p.s. lars is a douche. and im pretty sure that new bassist is a shaved gorilla from the zoo. with downs syndrome.

Rob Trujillo is awesome! Best thing to happen to Metallica. You might be into the whole, "love music for its image only" thing as opposed to loving the music itself which is fine, but his bass playing is cool.

sorry, but that guy was added solely as a concession to the nu-metal kids who think it is cool when large simian-like dudes play their guitars around their ankles. i respect that he has a different background & all that, but do you really think hetfield/ulrich are gonna let him start incorporating funk rhythms into their stagnant sound? these are the same guys who sacced jason newstead for having the nerve to work on a side project.

btw, newstead is THE metallica bassist. sorry cliff.

Rick Rubin will do a great job. This man is a legend.

At the moment the top exec producer is LA Reid.

bollox said:
sorry, but that guy was added solely as a concession to the nu-metal kids who think it is cool when large simian-like dudes play their guitars around their ankles. i respect that he has a different background & all that, but do you really think hetfield/ulrich are gonna let him start incorporating funk rhythms into their stagnant sound? these are the same guys who sacced jason newstead for having the nerve to work on a side project.

btw, newstead is THE metallica bassist. sorry cliff.

LOL... you bash on NEW Metallica but say Newsted is "THE" Metallica bassist? Even if Trujillo can't add his style to Metallica, he has better chops than Newsted anyways, so its a plus in the long run and its not like Newsted had any say in the music... LOL

Flying FuManchu said:

LOL... you bash on NEW Metallica but say Newsted is "THE" Metallica bassist? Even if Trujillo can't add his style to Metallica, he has better chops than Newsted anyways, so its a plus in the long run and its not like Newsted had any say in the music... LOL
Yeah, while Jason was a great bass player live and would really add something extra for the live shows and make the band seem tighter, he really had no creative input at all in those records. He has like three songwriting credits in 14 years or something. Plus Jason is THE bass player of that "new " Metallica era.

like i said, jason didn't contribute because hetfield/ulrich didn't LET him. he had written a whole lot of material (to a degree, kirk hammet wasn't really allowed much freedom either). i don't think that's going to change much with the new guy. unless the guys can "work through it" in their group therapy sessions.

Back
Top Bottom