Rich people who don't deserve their money - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2007, 10:03 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Dew Ma
if you've only 42 dollars in the bank, why do you have the internet? unless of course you're using a public computer.

macbook + wifi airport + everyone in the world has a shitty unprotected linksys router = free internet

But yeah, as for the main topic... it's silly to assume rich people don't deserve their money. I'm sure some don't, but I'm sure some worked very hard for it.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:15 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:13 AM
Varitek, how about "Posters who don't deserve thread-making privileges for a week"

Old 08-07-2007, 10:17 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch
"Like me"?
I didn't say "like you," I said people with your opinion.
Quote:
Do you even know what I was talking about? The classic coffee commercial? Hello? Lighthearted joke?
I'm well aware of who Juan Valdes is. The point that I was making, and maybe everything does need to be spelled out in plain English, is that you are stereotyping a group of people that you know absolutely nothing about. The rich, the Colombians...
I used Colombia because I would venture a guess that if you aren't into world politics/culture, you'll imagine Colombia to be this enormous coffee bean producing island with mustached men in straw hats riding donkeys. It's anything but.
I could have said African people, and really put it in perspective, but I'm making a point about poor people being everywhere in the world, something that is often overlooked by certain people...
Quote:
If you want to discuss the woes of the world, take it to FYM. This was never meant to be that heavy of a discussion, but I'm sorry I was ever in it.
I don't see why heavy discussions need to belong in FYM only. But maybe it would have been better if it was left to the forum where most people put serious thought behind what they are going to say.
Quote:
I've got $42 dollars in the bank and I don't get paid until next week and here I'm being lectured on poverty by people who likely make 3 times what I do. Get over yourself.
Ha ha ha, haha, ha, haaahhaha, ha, haahahahahaaaaa. I made no assumptions about you, and yet you've made a reaaaaaaally wrong one about me. Congratulations!

Get over yourself. Does having less money entitle you to chastise those who do have money?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:42 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:43 AM
Quote:

"Like me"? And what am I like? Do you even know what I was talking about? The classic coffee commercial? Hello? Lighthearted joke? If you want to discuss the woes of the world, take it to FYM. This was never meant to be that heavy of a discussion, but I'm sorry I was ever in it.
Um, it was actually you who ventured into "heavy" FYM territory with the following comment:

Quote:

"...and boy does it annoy me when people start with the "somebody in country X is worse off" stuff..."
Juan Valdez, for the record, is a fictional character. The 'real' Juan Valdez is not exactly smiling and laughing with his donkey and "doing fine on his coffee farm." He/she earns a few measly cents per cup of coffee consumed in North America! We should be more concerned with leveling that playing field rather than getting caught up with how many homes or play-toys someone has in a given North American city. Who knows what these individuals may or may not be doing behind the scenes to make a difference somehow? Both in the US, and here in Canada, there are multimillionaire philanthropists who've forked over vast savings for a greater good.

The money is never the problem, it's the motivation of the individuals behind it. GG makes a terrific point with Robert Mugabe. He's easily one of the world's worst dictators, and a perfect example of someone abusing their power and accumulated wealth to create a climate of fear and hatred. I actually did a research project on him for one of my university courses. It was so disheartening to learn about the chaos he's ignited, the widespread human rights violations, and the culture of silence that still keeps him there.

Personally, I know that the more money I make, the more I'll be able to help out. Money can buy certain things, but it can also give you the imagination to help those in less fortunate circumstances.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:50 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm old enough to remember when having a second car in a family was considered extravagant and wasteful. Same for having more than one phone or TV (which were often black & white -- colour tvs were considered highfalutin). No one had cds, vcrs, dvds, pcs, laptops, internet connections, ipods, cell phones.

Now for the vast majority of us here -- even those who are poor students or otherwise flat broke -- these are considered basic (except those which are now virtually obsolete). While one or two of those things might be required for school or a particular job, the rest are wants, not needs -- the same way that second house in the same city is a want not a need for the people in the story.

My point is we ALL have crap we don't need, and the money from all that stuff could have gone to "better" uses. So unless we are willing to defend our superfluous extras (and we all have them, even those with only $42 in the bank right now ), we should probably not jump on others for their extras.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:56 AM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
I'm old enough to remember when having a second car in a family was considered extravagant and wasteful. Same for having more than one phone or TV (which were often black & white -- colour tvs were considered highfalutin). No one had cds, vcrs, dvds, pcs, laptops, internet connections, ipods, cell phones.

Now for the vast majority of us here -- even those who are poor students or otherwise flat broke -- these are considered basic (except those which are now virtually obsolete). While one or two of those things might be required for school or a particular job, the rest are wants, not needs -- the same way that second house in the same city is a want not a need for the people in the story.

My point is we ALL have crap we don't need, and the money from all that stuff could have gone to "better" uses. So unless we are willing to defend our superfluous extras (and we all have them, even those with only $42 in the bank right now ), we should probably not jump on others for their extras.
Word.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:56 AM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
Varitek, how about "Posters who don't deserve thread-making privileges for a week"
I usually enjoy your snark, but that was downright unnecessary. I have admitted that this thread was probably mistitled - I would now title it "I don't understand this purchase" or something like that. I never intended to start a discussion in LS - of all places - about charity spending and I never intended to imply that all people with money don't deserve it - I just read that article and scratched my head and couldn't figure out why in the world if you had the million $ + those apartments cost you would spend it on a second Manhattan home (I currently live in Manhattan). I didn't intend to make a statement against second or third or tenth homes in general, I would never have posted an article about a Manhattan couple buying a ski lodge in Colorado nor would the article have ever been written precisely because it is uninteresting, far less controversial, and much more understandable. I just posted about what I perceive to be an irrational choice in buying a second home in not just hte same city but the same burough, and to highlight the lady who is so pampered she can't make a bed. People start threads all the time in LS about crazy decisions, like internet stalking. And I thought the chocolate syrup painting was downright hilarious. I take responsibility for a poorly chosen thread title but I have always been clear about my input into the content of this thread and haven't wanted to engage in serious charity/income discussion in LS. Other posters pushed it that way, and I stayed out of it, though I understand why Butterscotch felt the need to get into it and I think that he/she has been unfairly misinterpretted and attacked.

I haven't posted anything in this thread about my or others' incomes, charitable giving, or relative standards of living. With that I am bowing out of this thread, but I'll be starting whatever threads I like this week or any other.

And I'd be happy to have 50 cent hot dogs with anyone on this thread.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #53
War Child

Local Time: 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek

Other posters pushed it that way, and I stayed out of it, though I understand why Butterscotch felt the need to get into it and I think that he/she has been unfairly misinterpretted and attacked.

Thanks That means a lot. I was shocked at the shit I got accused of saying and thinking. It was getting so ridiculous I just left the thread. Whatever
Old 08-08-2007, 04:23 PM   #54
War Child

Quote:

Thanks That means a lot. I was shocked at the shit I got accused of saying and thinking. It was getting so ridiculous I just left the thread. Whatever
what exactly is so ridiculous? and who accused you of saying what?

you were the only one as far as i can see to have misquoted somebody.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:22 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Heaven In Alberta, Where We Got All Hell For A Basement..
Quote:

I've got $42 dollars in the bank
ive got 1.15 canadian!!!
i beat you!
we'll i did just buy a lulu lemon sweater.....
Old 08-08-2007, 08:43 PM   #56
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by love_u2_adam

ive got 1.15 canadian!!!
i beat you!
we'll i did just buy a lulu lemon sweater.....
I'm now down to $11.24. I don't know if you live at home or with a roomate, or on your own alone like me. That's it, when the barrel is empty there's nowhere to go. No savings, no credit cards, no help from anyone. Just nothing.

Oh and I know somebody's going to tell me how much money that is in country X, but you know, I don't live there so that's not making me any richer.

But you do win the contest! Congrats!

anybody want to go for overdrawn?
Old 08-08-2007, 09:10 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Heaven In Alberta, Where We Got All Hell For A Basement..
i live at home but because i work my parents what a small rent from me and i pay my own phone bill.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:50 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

anybody want to go for overdrawn?
Overdraft protection.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:54 PM   #59
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Overdraft protection.
Not for people with bad credit They do a credit check, got turned down
Old 08-08-2007, 09:57 PM   #60
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by love_u2_adam
i live at home but because i work my parents what a small rent from me and i pay my own phone bill.
If you're only working to pay those bills and your parents would pay them otherwise, I'd quit