Rich people who don't deserve their money - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2007, 10:58 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 08:44 AM
Quote:
what the hell are they supposed to do? go around handing out 100 dollar bills like snickers bars on the corner?
I would!

Old 08-03-2007, 12:37 AM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch

I would!
and then when you give one to somebody who is 100% underserving of it; is a crack dealer who supplies drugs to children in the streets or alcohol in the streets and give your last 100 dollars to a prostitute or somebody when you have the next person in line deserving but you're out; how does that make said person that's left out feel? how do you feel knowing your money went to places where it doesn't belong? how do you know if your 100 dollars went towards drugs or electricity? sure you can pay the bill for the poor person, but how do you know what the person will do with the money they save instead of paying the bill? you don't.

you can give away your money to a morally decrepid character if thats what you choose and if thats what you think is right, instead of rewarding yourself, your friends, your family for a lifelong achievement to obtain said money and donate quietly to charities.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:18 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:44 AM
Mountain Dew Ma -- you are being every bit as judgemental as Varitek and Butterscotch.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:20 AM   #19
War Child

im not being judgemental. im not saying the poor are drug dealers. im not saying the wealthy are or aren't.

i am saying that if you go around on a street corner giving out 100 dollar bills that you DONT know where that money goes and what it goes towards.

how is that being judgemental?
Old 08-03-2007, 01:30 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Dew Ma

you can give away your money to a morally decrepid character if thats what you choose and if thats what you think is right, instead of rewarding yourself, your friends, your family for a lifelong achievement to obtain said money and donate quietly to charities.
i agree with this...i mean there is absolutely nothing wrong with giving money to someone on the street who needs it. that is a good thing. But I don't think you should have to do that if you're rich. I think standing on the street corner handing out hundreds is a little ostentatious, frankly. "Oh I'm so rich I can just throw my money at you all!!"

Mainly though I think it's people's own business what they do with their money. I know if I were rich I'd be taking care of myself, family, and friends first. Does that make me selfish? Too bad.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:33 AM   #21
War Child

no there isn't anything WRONG with giving away your money to people needing on the street.

isn't it more constructive to give the money to homeless shelters though, places where you can have the really needy people go and rehab themselves? get themselves in shape? get them off the streets? it's a less direct way of doing things but it makes much more fiscal and logical sense to do that than to merely throw money in peoples faces as you alluded to.

i just dont see the sense in giving away 100's or paying somebody's bills for them. it's great if you want to, but you're not doing anything extremely beneficial or motivational to the person. you're doing the opposite of motivating.

i know if people wanted to pay my car bill, my phone bill, etc., then i'd say hey ok now i don't need to work as hard! you might not say that, but i'm sure a good bit of people would.

is that what you want?
Old 08-03-2007, 01:36 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:44 AM
Quote:
no there isn't anything WRONG with giving away your money to people needing on the street.

isn't it more constructive to give the money to homeless shelters though, places where you can have the really needy people go and rehab themselves? get themselves in shape? get them off the streets? it's a less direct way of doing things but it makes much more fiscal and logical sense to do that than to merely throw money in peoples faces as you alluded to.

word on this brah
Old 08-03-2007, 08:43 AM   #23
War Child

Local Time: 08:44 AM
Quote:

and then when you give one to somebody who is 100% underserving of it; is a crack dealer who supplies drugs to children in the streets or alcohol in the streets and give your last 100 dollars to a prostitute or somebody when you have the next person in line deserving but you're out; how does that make said person that's left out feel? how do you feel knowing your money went to places where it doesn't belong? how do you know if your 100 dollars went towards drugs or electricity? sure you can pay the bill for the poor person, but how do you know what the person will do with the money they save instead of paying the bill? you don't.

I was saying that is something I would do, not that it would be the only way I'd use the money, of course I'd help friends family and charity. And how do you know that if you give the money to a charity that pays someone's light bill that they might use their light bill money to buy drugs? IMO someone buying drugs is a waste of money but so is throwing it away on extravagance that isn't needed.

Quote:
you can give away your money to a morally decrepid character if thats what
So you're saying these people don't deserve any money because you don't like what they do with it? Isn't that the same thing I'm saying about the rich? Well plenty of millionaires are 'morally decrepit characters' too.

See, this is why I hesistated to answer this thread, I knew this would happen and I don't want to get in the middle of something messy. But I felt like I had to back up Varitek, a poster I very much agreed with and didn't like seeing them bashed.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:00 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

You are every bit as morally decrepit as those fabulously rich characters being complaining about in this thread. People in third world countries could live on your spare change on a daily basis. Every time you buy Starbucks coffee you could be feeding a whole family for a week. The internet that you are paying for right now? The computer you are using? All as superfluous as having a second Manhattan home, in my opinion. After all, you can live without the internet just fine.

I hate seeing people come down on the rich simply because they are rich. You know that if you ever came across extra money, even a little bit of it, those dollar signs light up in your eyes and you can buy that CD you've wanted, or a paid interference subscription, or anything that is just as superfluous as a second Manhattan home.
The amount is not what is at issue here. Compared to a Colombian farmer, you are a millionaire and yet you have done nothing to help them.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:02 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

You couldn't pay me enough money to ever buy a place in NYC, let alone two places.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:56 AM   #26
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch

I was saying that is something I would do, not that it would be the only way I'd use the money, of course I'd help friends family and charity. And how do you know that if you give the money to a charity that pays someone's light bill that they might use their light bill money to buy drugs? IMO someone buying drugs is a waste of money but so is throwing it away on extravagance that isn't needed.

So you're saying these people don't deserve any money because you don't like what they do with it? Isn't that the same thing I'm saying about the rich? Well plenty of millionaires are 'morally decrepit characters' too.

See, this is why I hesistated to answer this thread, I knew this would happen and I don't want to get in the middle of something messy. But I felt like I had to back up Varitek, a poster I very much agreed with and didn't like seeing them bashed.
"they don't deserve any money"

tell me, lets say for the sake of argument that i'm making a million dollars a year after working my ass off in college, grad school, med school or whatever. what have they done to deserve my money?

so you admit that you might just fund drug money as well. how is that helping anything? I just dont see the point in helping vices and not helping people get their act together and get off the street. as i said, if you are going to pay my light bill, my insurance bill, my car bill, i am going to go into work and say hey robin - can you scale down my schedule a bit? I dont need to work as many hours anymore.

what is the point in that? where is the benefit?

what pla said is also 100% correct.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:58 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I don't criticize someone who has money for spending it however they choose. It may very well be extravagant, but who am I to say? I don't have the kind of money. I have no idea what I would really do with it if I did.

What does get me is when people with money feel the need to look down on everyone. You know, the ones who clearly think they are better because of it. Just because someone isn't loaded doesn't mean they don't work hard.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:01 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

rich people who don`t know how to use their money would be more like it...
Old 08-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #29
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 12:44 AM
My mother doesn't deserve the money she has or the money stocks & property she inherited.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:57 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by PlaTheGreat
You are every bit as morally decrepit as those fabulously rich characters being complaining about in this thread. People in third world countries could live on your spare change on a daily basis. Every time you buy Starbucks coffee you could be feeding a whole family for a week. The internet that you are paying for right now? The computer you are using? All as superfluous as having a second Manhattan home, in my opinion. After all, you can live without the internet just fine.

I hate seeing people come down on the rich simply because they are rich. You know that if you ever came across extra money, even a little bit of it, those dollar signs light up in your eyes and you can buy that CD you've wanted, or a paid interference subscription, or anything that is just as superfluous as a second Manhattan home.
The amount is not what is at issue here. Compared to a Colombian farmer, you are a millionaire and yet you have done nothing to help them.
I love you