RIAA demanding college students pay $3000 because of downloading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070309/ap_on_hi_te/downloading_music_ohio_u

When are these A-holes going to just leave people alone? I don't even download, don't even know how. But every college kid does and it's not fair to make an example out of some just to scare everyone else in a Spanish Inquisition way. I think this will only make them less likely to want to buy CDs(which will hurt artists and more likely to find sneaky ways to download (been very succesful so far)

The RIAA is desperate. They realize that the recording industry as it was in the 20th century is dying a slow death. They cannot stop all downloading forever. With all the technology out there, people don't even need recording studios, or record companies to get CDs out. About the only people who need record companies are American Idol and boyband and pop diva types who can't get popular without the massive media campaigns the big industry is so good at. But it's only a matter of time. They are running scared, scared of losing their gold mine, but in the future I see many more self supporting independent artists, and more downloads. What do you think?

As a college student who HAS downloaded music, I need to say that the RIAA would do much better embracing the future instead of punishing it. Just look at what the iTunes music store and Napster have done. THAT is the way the industry is headed, but better or worse, and the recording industry is only going to start recovering when the big whigs pull their collective heads out of their asses and get with the program.

:grumpy:

they are doing something illegal, i don't really see how you can say that there is something unfair about it.

I don't think they really are. When I was a teenager, before you had all the music on computers, we'd still share our songs by making each other tapes. We'd tape off of the radio. What downloading is really is nothing more than friends sharing with each other on a larger scale. I don't see any rock stars going around broke, people still buy CD's, they want the lyrics sheet and liner notes and cases. Most of the time when someone downloads, it's something they likely wouldn't have bought anyway. Let's face it, no one but rich people can afford to buy EVERY CD you want, so people have always shared songs and taped from the radio. It's no more stealing than taping a movie when it comes on TV. As long as you don't sell it what's the problem?

The old days and old ways are gone. You can't stop file sharing, so as Lancemc said, they should be capitalizing on it instead of hanging onto an archaic system that is no longer going to work.

I don't think anyone who downloads should be a criminal. I mean, hardly anyone robs a bank or shoots a person, maybe less than 5% of the population, yet I'd say 90% or more of college kids are downloading. You can't fight a tidal wave by tossing a couple of sandbags at a few in defiance.

Further proof that you can't stop downloading is that even AFTER the massive witch hunt and sueing and shutting down of NAPSTER, downloading returned, and more popular than ever.

Last edited:
The real sign of this policy's impotence: Who here is going to stop downloading because of this article? My guess---no one.

guyz

i am so scurrd of the riaa

that i'm gonna stop downloading tunes

and immediately send a cheque to every artist who's music i've ever downloaded

u2 and pink floyd are getting poor

the riaa has shown me the light

by suing college students and 12 year olds

the riaa are pr geniuses

for busting these heinous criminals

the courts are empty, there are too many judges and lawyers sitting idle

good on the riaa for giving them some important cases to work on :up:

[Dave mode]

Wow, this is asinine. They're still trying to stop downloading? That's like trying to stop bears from shitting in the woods. :der:

I think they are going about this the wrong way, for me anyway being able to download music was one of the main things that led to me buying more of it, and getting fined 3,000 by the RIAA would discourage me from actually buying music rather than downloading.

The laws surrounding music and piracy are obsolete and need to be reworked. Corporations lobbying the government to support them only really serve to interfere with legitimate democratic process, and they do this to serve themselves -- yet if they really got down to it, they'd realise they're costing themselves more money by resisting a change that's already happened and not reworking their plans to capitalize on the new mode of doing business. The RIAA is a joke, and the laws it tries to defend are archaic and don't apply to contemporary living in the digital world.

And what are they really trying to punish? Love of music? People who want to know what they're getting before they spend $20 on it? Smart consumers? Seriously. Who spends $20 based on one single, when you're getting 10 other songs along with it? If people were willing to pay $20 per single, they'd have stuck with releasing singles -- but, not suprisingly, that venture proved unprofitable, even when they tried selling them for $5/disc.

The fact that the vast majority of bands earn a pittance through cd sales, only making their millions by touring, the industry is trying to protect its right to exploit artists. It isn't that the cost-of-doing business is increasing, it isn't that profits are decreasing, they continue to make a killing every year and they continue to report growth every year. This nonsense needs to change. I don't download music, even though in Canada I can do so without penalty as long as I don't upload (the RIAA can't touch me, so lol at them), but if I lived in the US I'd probably download all the time just out of spite for them. They're really the pot calling the kettle black when they call people criminals for 'taking money out of their pockets' when artists bust their asses to make decent albums and then the producers take 90% of their money. Hmph.

U2Kitten said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070309/ap_on_hi_te/downloading_music_ohio_u

When are these A-holes going to just leave people alone? I don't even download, don't even know how. But every college kid does and it's not fair to make an example out of some just to scare everyone else in a Spanish Inquisition way. I think this will only make them less likely to want to buy CDs(which will hurt artists and more likely to find sneaky ways to download (been very succesful so far)

The RIAA is desperate. They realize that the recording industry as it was in the 20th century is dying a slow death. They cannot stop all downloading forever. With all the technology out there, people don't even need recording studios, or record companies to get CDs out. About the only people who need record companies are American Idol and boyband and pop diva types who can't get popular without the massive media campaigns the big industry is so good at. But it's only a matter of time. They are running scared, scared of losing their gold mine, but in the future I see many more self supporting independent artists, and more downloads. What do you think?

Not true at all. Every artist needs a record company if they want to sell enough albums to crack the top 100 of the Billboard charts in any given week.

Its true some artist can make a living selling CD's over the internet on their own website or at shows, but its unlikely they will ever become widely known or rich. But this has been always true to a certain degree. For the most part though, such artist will remain unknown to the vast majority of the general public unless they sign with a major label.

CD burning and various forms of internet downloading where the artist music is obtained without any noticed decrease in sound quality, is heavily cutting into the record industries sales. The technology has cut the number of albums that are being sold at all levels by almost 50% in only 6 years! The artist that are most hurt are not the veterans, but the new artist who are trying to develop. The veterans will continue to sell albums because they have a fan base, typically an older fan base that is use to going to the store and purchasing an album.

Bono at the Rock Hall Of Fame awards said that U2 would not have made it past their 2nd album if they were starting out today. Its tougher to make it in the industry today and if an artist has sales like U2 did initially for the October album, they get dropped from the record label. Profits are down and there simply is not enough money to give support to many of the artist that need the money, time and other resources to establish themselves in the business.

U2Kitten said:
I don't think they really are. When I was a teenager, before you had all the music on computers, we'd still share our songs by making each other tapes. We'd tape off of the radio. What downloading is really is nothing more than friends sharing with each other on a larger scale. I don't see any rock stars going around broke, people still buy CD's, they want the lyrics sheet and liner notes and cases. Most of the time when someone downloads, it's something they likely wouldn't have bought anyway. Let's face it, no one but rich people can afford to buy EVERY CD you want, so people have always shared songs and taped from the radio. It's no more stealing than taping a movie when it comes on TV. As long as you don't sell it what's the problem?

The old days and old ways are gone. You can't stop file sharing, so as Lancemc said, they should be capitalizing on it instead of hanging onto an archaic system that is no longer going to work.

I don't think anyone who downloads should be a criminal. I mean, hardly anyone robs a bank or shoots a person, maybe less than 5% of the population, yet I'd say 90% or more of college kids are downloading. You can't fight a tidal wave by tossing a couple of sandbags at a few in defiance.

Further proof that you can't stop downloading is that even AFTER the massive witch hunt and sueing and shutting down of NAPSTER, downloading returned, and more popular than ever.

But taping things on the radio or from another cassette, CD or record, onto a cassette always involved a noticeable reduction in sound quality. With file sharing, other downloading, and CD burning, there is no noticeable reduction in sound quality which is one of the reasons it is so popular.

Cassette taping did not impact the music industry, it continued to grow and grow. CD burning, File sharing and other forms of downloading have cut the music industry in half in only 6 years time.

Irishteen said:
I think they are going about this the wrong way, for me anyway being able to download music was one of the main things that led to me buying more of it, and getting fined 3,000 by the RIAA would discourage me from actually buying music rather than downloading.

That may be the case for some people and dedicated fans, but most other people don't buy something that they can obtain for FREE.

U2Kitten said:
What downloading is really is nothing more than friends sharing with each other on a larger scale. I don't see any rock stars going around broke, people still buy CD's, they want the lyrics sheet and liner notes and cases. Most of the time when someone downloads, it's something they likely wouldn't have bought anyway. Let's face it, no one but rich people can afford to buy EVERY CD you want, so people have always shared songs and taped from the radio. It's no more stealing than taping a movie when it comes on TV. As long as you don't sell it what's the problem?

there is a difference between getting tracks illegally and downloading through a site where you pay for the tracks though, isn't there? :shrug:

i'm not saying what they're doing is going to make any difference and i'm not talking about rock stars being broke or how many cds people can and can't afford.

the article you gave the link to was talking about illegal downloading, so i don't understand how can you disagree with that fact and say it isn't really illegal and unfair that some people are punished :huh:

I don't think anyone's challenging the fact that it's illegal...just the notion that it should be illegal

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
The laws surrounding music and piracy are obsolete and need to be reworked. Corporations lobbying the government to support them only really serve to interfere with legitimate democratic process, and they do this to serve themselves -- yet if they really got down to it, they'd realise they're costing themselves more money by resisting a change that's already happened and not reworking their plans to capitalize on the new mode of doing business. The RIAA is a joke, and the laws it tries to defend are archaic and don't apply to contemporary living in the digital world.

And what are they really trying to punish? Love of music? People who want to know what they're getting before they spend $20 on it? Smart consumers? Seriously. Who spends $20 based on one single, when you're getting 10 other songs along with it? If people were willing to pay $20 per single, they'd have stuck with releasing singles -- but, not suprisingly, that venture proved unprofitable, even when they tried selling them for $5/disc.

The fact that the vast majority of bands earn a pittance through cd sales, only making their millions by touring, the industry is trying to protect its right to exploit artists. It isn't that the cost-of-doing business is increasing, it isn't that profits are decreasing, they continue to make a killing every year and they continue to report growth every year. This nonsense needs to change. I don't download music, even though in Canada I can do so without penalty as long as I don't upload (the RIAA can't touch me, so lol at them), but if I lived in the US I'd probably download all the time just out of spite for them. They're really the pot calling the kettle black when they call people criminals for 'taking money out of their pockets' when artists bust their asses to make decent albums and then the producers take 90% of their money. Hmph.

Profits are down and the number of CD's being sold at every level in almost any given week has been cut in half in just 6 years. The ability to obtain new music for FREE hurts new artist the most. Typcially, only veteran artist make huge sums of money on the road, while new artist struggle to pay for the tour without going into debt.

Back in 1982, U2's record label did not put up any money to support the spring leg of their tour in the USA. This forced them to be a support band for the J. Geils Band on their Freeze Frame Tour. U2 had no money at the end of the tour, and were only able to get back to Ireland with Paul McGuiness's Credit Card which he was unable to pay off as well. Hell, guess who payed for The Edge's wedding at the end of the War Tour, The Edge's father in law. U2 did not start to make money in the industry until 1984.

New artist had it tough back then, but there was enough money to continue to give them another try if the previous album failed to sell, or only had marginal sales. Today, if your first or second album does not sell, you get dropped from the label, period.

The whole idea that these people are ALL rich and the industry does not need any more money is total rubbish. Its a business. Like any other business, when you experience such a sharp decrease in sales, profits drop, people are laid off, and artist get cut from the roster. Like at any business going through lay offs, its usually the new people that are the first to go. The Veterans with a proven sales track record are retained.

Utoo said:
I don't think anyone's challenging the fact that it's illegal...just the notion that it should be illegal
i think Lara Mullen is just pointing out that since it is illegal (whether we like it or not) it shouldn't come as a shock that people get prosecuted over it

I'm saying that the way they are doing it- singling out a handful of people here and there in sporatic witch hunts of college students and random cable customers- even arresting grandparents for a song their grandkids downloaded when they didn't even know it because the account was in their name- is a BAD tactic and isn't going to stop downloading or file sharing. You can see the 'destruction' of Napster only made people more determined. Like some have said, it's NOT going to go away, like it or not, so they might as well deal with it instead of targeting a handful of people here and there in a medieval attempt to scare everyone. (it's not even working) And as was mentioned above, the piracy laws are now outdated and won't work. They need to find a new way, there is no way the past is coming back.

How much does 'cd sales being down' relate to music downloading, and how much does it have to do with the quality of music production? For that matter, what factors aren't being looked at re: those statistics? There are a lot of factors that go into sales statistics. Economic status and unemployment rates (luxury items go down during economic uncertainty), currency value, alternative media -- if you start releasing music on dvd/acd/bluray/new vinyl/online, of course cd sales are going to drop when you've divided your category of sales into four categories. I've read statistics suggesting a 4% net decline, all media considered; so what if cd sales are down by 50% if they're still making a killing elsewhere? It's not like the industry is suffering a 50% loss in income just because they're suffering a decline in CD sales. 50% loss in cd sales doesn't mean that half of the industry has had to close it's doors.

Yes, it affects aritsts who make less money most of all, I'm not disputing that. New artists have always received crap-all from cd sales. Artists are receiving less than aforementioned 'crap-all' now since there's less money to go around. True, not everyone is rich in the music industry, but the music industry has never treated all its constituent members in a way that those people have deserved. It's a business, and it's being run like it's stakeholders don't matter and the industry can do whatever it wants without consequences. Suing people who have kept the industry afloat for decades, suing people who represent the future consumers of that business' products, hurting their bread & butter by laying them off so that executives can continue to roll in $2 million annual salaries in executive positions when they're clearly not competent given these reactions to market trends.

Something else that has to be considered is what music is being downloaded. I would hazard a guess that it isn't all top 100 new music. What about cds that you can't find at your local retailer? Are you going to go without, or are you going to download? How do used CD sales factor in? Traditionally, this has been an area of pure profit for retailers, not the industry; to their sales figures, what does it matter if someone downloads music that's 15 years old if they would have just bought the cd used anyway? It isn't a factor at all, by my judgement. That's not to say it isn't nonetheless illegal, but I find it difficult to believe that such activity can account for a sharp decline in sales/profitability. Only big albums from big artists are going to be sitting in the racks at retailers, where less known, more obscure music isn't going to be carried -- and it isn't layoffs that are responsible for that, it's supply and demand. Retailers aren't going to keep inventory that they aren't going to sell when that disc takes up space that a cd they could be selling for profit would otherwise be occupying -- this is why retailers sell off old inventory at wholesale.

I just don't buy it that downloading is the bane of music. The industry doesn't know how to use opportunities that are presented to it, because they haven't been faced with any sort of logistics challenge before. They want things to go back the way they used to be because it was easier than trying to accomodate, but they don't have that option.

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
How much does 'cd sales being down' relate to music downloading, and how much does it have to do with the quality of music production? For that matter, what factors aren't being looked at re: those statistics? There are a lot of factors that go into sales statistics. Economic status and unemployment rates (luxury items go down during economic uncertainty), currency value, alternative media -- if you start releasing music on dvd/acd/bluray/new vinyl/online, of course cd sales are going to drop when you've divided your category of sales into four categories. I've read statistics suggesting a 4% net decline, all media considered; so what if cd sales are down by 50% if they're still making a killing elsewhere? It's not like the industry is suffering a 50% loss in income just because they're suffering a decline in CD sales. 50% loss in cd sales doesn't mean that half of the industry has had to close it's doors.

Yes, it affects aritsts who make less money most of all, I'm not disputing that. New artists have always received crap-all from cd sales. Artists are receiving less than aforementioned 'crap-all' now since there's less money to go around. True, not everyone is rich in the music industry, but the music industry has never treated all its constituent members in a way that those people have deserved. It's a business, and it's being run like it's stakeholders don't matter and the industry can do whatever it wants without consequences. Suing people who have kept the industry afloat for decades, suing people who represent the future consumers of that business' products, hurting their bread & butter by laying them off so that executives can continue to roll in $2 million annual salaries in executive positions when they're clearly not competent given these reactions to market trends.

Something else that has to be considered is what music is being downloaded. I would hazard a guess that it isn't all top 100 new music. What about cds that you can't find at your local retailer? Are you going to go without, or are you going to download? How do used CD sales factor in? Traditionally, this has been an area of pure profit for retailers, not the industry; to their sales figures, what does it matter if someone downloads music that's 15 years old if they would have just bought the cd used anyway? It isn't a factor at all, by my judgement. That's not to say it isn't nonetheless illegal, but I find it difficult to believe that such activity can account for a sharp decline in sales/profitability. Only big albums from big artists are going to be sitting in the racks at retailers, where less known, more obscure music isn't going to be carried -- and it isn't layoffs that are responsible for that, it's supply and demand. Retailers aren't going to keep inventory that they aren't going to sell when that disc takes up space that a cd they could be selling for profit would otherwise be occupying -- this is why retailers sell off old inventory at wholesale.

I just don't buy it that downloading is the bane of music. The industry doesn't know how to use opportunities that are presented to it, because they haven't been faced with any sort of logistics challenge before. They want things to go back the way they used to be because it was easier than trying to accomodate, but they don't have that option.

The quality of music production has never been better, the quality of the actual music being produced is open to debate, but its always the anti-industry types who claim they are not selling because the artist and music are not up to some vague prior standard.

The strength of the economy just drives home the point even further. Unemployment is just as low as it was during the biggest boom times in the industry. Wages are up, and GDP growth is solid. The economy is probably in the best shape it has ever been in its history, but the music industry is falling.

Based on what new artist are experiencing, the 50% drop is having the major impact most people would assume that it would. Bono was not talking out of his butt when he mentioned that U2 would have been dropped in the current environment with either their first or second album. You can try to work an arguement around the numbers, but the numbers here tell the truth of what is going on. A 50% decline in sales probably means that 40% of the industry has had to close up since the year 2000. 50% of record stores in many area's have closed down.

No business is going to protect someone with a 2 million dollar pay check unless they feel its absolutely necessary to keep their position. When downsizing begins because the profits are no longer there, all options are on the table.

I'm not sure that suing these people is an effective tactic, but the people being sued are definitely not people who support the music industry are had any attention of supporting in the future. A person who has obtained over 300 albums for FREE is not about to go out and start buying albums. So if your going to target anyone, thats the person you want to go after.

Catalog sales, sales of music that is over 2 years old is not what is impacting the music industry. Its the sale of current product, where the industry has always received the vast majority of its money from, where FREE music is having the most impact on the business. Obviously catalog sales are impacted, but the industry has never been dependent on catalog sales. Only very successful veteran artist have successful catalog sales, while the vast majority of other artist will eventually see their albums go out of print, especially if the album in question never went platinum.

The difference between 1999 and 2007 is the number of people with the ability to either download or burn their music at no reduced quality for FREE. ANY business would be heavily impacted if people could obtain the service or product they were selling for FREE. Its that simple.

How many people would stop to buy a hotdog at a particular stand, if 10 feet away you could get the same hotdog for free? Downloading and CD burning has had a very negative impact on the music industry that has been noted by BONO, someone who is essentially immune to its negative effects.

It would be nice if some way could be found to return things to the way they were and are for just about any other business. If people want the product or service you are selling, they PAY for it.

STING2 said:

But taping things on the radio or from another cassette, CD or record, onto a cassette always involved a noticeable reduction in sound quality. With file sharing, other downloading, and CD burning, there is no noticeable reduction in sound quality which is one of the reasons it is so popular.
There is absolutely a reduction in sound quality. If someone listens to music on anything more than laptop speakers, there is an obvious sound quality issue between music encoded at different bitrates. A 128kb/s MP3 file sounds like shit compared to a variable bit rate encoded file or even a 192kb/s encoded mp3.

Right clicking and copying an Mp3? Sure, there is no reduction in sound quality. But when a friend burns you a CD of music, and you rip that copied music to your PC or another CD, the compressed files on there are being compressed again and lose a substantial amount of quality. It's the exact same thing as dubbing a casette tape to another in a cassette deck

STING2 said:
I'm not sure that suing these people is an effective tactic, but the people being sued are definitely not people who support the music industry are had any attention of supporting in the future. A person who has obtained over 300 albums for FREE is not about to go out and start buying albums. So if your going to target anyone, thats the person you want to go after.

Fair enough, but the people who are downloading tens of thousands of songs are not the people the RIAA is going after. People are being sued over just a couple of songs.

It would be nice if some way could be found to return things to the way they were and are for just about any other business.

Well, it's not. Ever. The RIAA seems to be completely unable or unwilling to accept that. They've been suing people for almost a decade now, and yet every single year the incidence of music downloading keeps going up.

If I've been trying to stop something for nearly 10 years and it keeps increasing despite what I'm doing, I'd take a clue and realize that what I'm doing isn't working.

Maybe that's too much logic for record industry execs, though. :shrug:

I just sent my friend the new Peter Bjorn and John album. :uhoh: Why, I am such a terrible criminal, contributing to the demise of the already fucked and outdated record industry! Someone call the RIAA! Now she's never going to go out and pay for this album that she NEVER would have even heard of has I not given it to her for free!!! What will the world do? :sad:

I don't understand what is so damned difficult to understand about the music isn't your's to give away.

Think of products other than music (or movies etc) and answer these questions:

Is stealing only bad when the victim is someone you like? Is it acceptable to steal from someone who's rich? Is it acceptable to steal stuff because you can't afford to buy all the stuff you'd like? Is it acceptable to steal stuff because you'd never buy it? Would you mind if someone stole stuff that was your's -- for whatever reason?

The people who say the record companies are going after their customers by doing this make me laugh. Once someone starts stealing from you they aren't your customers. Do you think a bank would not press charges against a robber who had a savings account with them? Do you think a convenience store wouldn't press charges against a robber who bought a soda from them?

It doesn't matter how much profit the record companies or artists are or are not making; it doesn't matter if you like to check out an album before buying it; it doesn't matter that you can't afford to buy every album you want; and it doesn't matter if you or your friend would never have purchased a particular album anyway. What matters is only the people with the legal right to distribute the music have the right to distribute it whether or not they profit from it (and let's face it, you are profiting if you don't have to spend money to buy something).

indra said:

It doesn't matter how much profit the record companies or artists are or are not making; it doesn't matter if you like to check out an album before buying it; it doesn't matter that you can't afford to buy every album you want; and it doesn't matter if you or your friend would never have purchased a particular album anyway. What matters is only the people with the legal right to distribute the music have the right to distribute it whether or not they profit from it (and let's face it, you are profiting if you don't have to spend money to buy something).

Actually, ALL that stuff you mentioned does matter. It matters because that's how the business has evolved, whether the companies like it or not. The same principles simply don't apply anymore, and until the record companies adapt to the new market, this is the way things are, for better or for worse. Just look at what Wilco did with YHF. They realized that it's a new ball game and started to play by the new rules. They probably wouldn't be as successful as they are right now if they had done things differently.

Lancemc said:

Just look at what Wilco did with YHF. They realized that it's a new ball game and started to play by the new rules. They probably wouldn't be as successful as they are right now if they had done things differently.

Wilco had been dropped by their label and had bought the album back from that label. So when they decided to put the songs online for fans to download they had the legal right to do so. That is entirely different than you (or anyone else) deciding to distribute music you do not have the legal right to distribute. Likewise you also don't have the legal right to download that leaked music.

It doesn't matter if you think your idea is better. It doesn't even matter if your idea is better. You do not own the songs and have no legal right to either distribute or take from someone else who is illegally distributing them.

Is digital delivery of music here to stay? Yeah. But that does not give anyone the right to steal it. And stealing it is exactly what you are doing if you illegally download songs no matter how much you try to shift the blame to greedy record companies who just don't get it.

indra said:
I don't understand what is so damned difficult to understand about the music isn't your's to give away.

The people who say the record companies are going after their customers by doing this make me laugh. Once someone starts stealing from you they aren't your customers. Do you think a bank would not press charges against a robber who had a savings account with them? Do you think a convenience store wouldn't press charges against a robber who bought a soda from them?

:up:

People that download and share music when it's commercially available really annoy me. There has to be some reward for the musicians that created it.

That said, the music industry have had it far too easy in the past. Prohibiting owners to take a copy for their own use (eg for in the car or to protect original from being damaged) was a joke. Charging £15 for something that costs less that 50p to produce has always made me bitter.

Whilst I don't agree with authorised distribution, it is somewhat funny that the music industry have finally got what comes round.

Back
Top Bottom