RIAA demanding college students pay $3000 because of downloading - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2007, 08:17 PM   #106
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:39 AM
STING for God's sake, please write Artists. It's not singular. You're causing me an injury!

Old 03-13-2007, 12:39 PM   #107
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:39 PM
Now YouTube is being targeted.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070313/...outube_lawsuit

I SO saw this coming a 100 miles away. I'm surprised it took so long. It was just too cool. But again, people watch way more stuff on there than they'd ever buy or be able to buy, so it's not like every single view is 'stealing.' Most of that stuff can't even be obtained in a store, and if you can, it's over 30 bucks. Most people realistically aren't going to buy hundreds of videos to see one little clip, and the ones who do buy are going to regardless. This really sucks. (not that my computer can even play videos without freezing up but it sucks for everbody.) I am sure this will mean the end of everything but homemade videos. And what about people doing their own videos to real songs in the background? Will they be sued too?

Old 03-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo
The real sign of this policy's impotence: Who here is going to stop downloading because of this article? My guess---no one.
Right on.

I've been issued a pretty harsh Cease and Desist by the RIAA before and I still d/l music and torrent movies. Downloading capabilities have not really changed my buying habits. I still buy the albums I really like, and before I was into downloading, I would burn copies of friend's CDs if there was only a song or two I cared for.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #109
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Now YouTube is being targeted.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070313/...outube_lawsuit

I SO saw this coming a 100 miles away. I'm surprised it took so long. It was just too cool. But again, people watch way more stuff on there than they'd ever buy or be able to buy, so it's not like every single view is 'stealing.' Most of that stuff can't even be obtained in a store, and if you can, it's over 30 bucks. Most people realistically aren't going to buy hundreds of videos to see one little clip, and the ones who do buy are going to regardless. This really sucks. (not that my computer can even play videos without freezing up but it sucks for everbody.) I am sure this will mean the end of everything but homemade videos. And what about people doing their own videos to real songs in the background? Will they be sued too?
This is where the pro-RIAA stance falls apart in regards to copies of equal/lesser quality. If there was no problem with taping off the radio, then there should be no problem posting on YouTube, because the video quality on YouTube is mediocre at best.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:03 PM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

This has gotten so out of control because the record companies were completely unwilling to deal with market reality when downloading started. They buried their heads in the sand and patently refused to adjust to the impact of digital music. Had they been more savvy, had they come up with something like iTunes and charged 20 cents a song rather than $1 back then, or offered cheap monthly unlimited subscription services, maybe everything would have been different. But because they elected to stay dinosaurs, they will now never be able to curtail their losses.

They have lost this battle and lost this war. There is nothing to be done - you cannot seriously sue this many individuals, it would be not only cost ineffective, but a perversion of the justice system. You could tighten IP laws, but our courts these days are recognizing the individual's right to privacy far more than in the past, and the judicial climate is not such that will permit intrusive measures in order to identify illegal downloaders. As well they shouldn't, if you ask me.