Riaa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah but you know the movie studios actually approached this in a more intelligent way. What they did is increase movie ticket prices to absurd levels in some cities. I remember here they uniformly went to $14 before they were forced to bring it down a bit, especially after AMC moved into the market aggressively. So they recouped some of their losses that way.

lazarus said:

Well, I never download movies. The movie studios are the guys you really don't want to mess with.

For me it's mostly TV shows, specifically British ones that don't air in the U.S. at the same time, or ones that aren't on the air anymore or on DVD.

They (film and tv) are learning a lot from watching the massive mistakes made by the music industry, but they're also dealing with an entirely different beast product wise. They do have to be careful about the loss of return and the market value of the product, but I think consumers understand that a bit more with these products. At the moment the biggest difficulty standing in the way is the juggling of all the varying parties with interests in any one product. It's nowhere near as simple as it is/was/should have been for the music industry.

anitram said:
Yeah but you know the movie studios actually approached this in a more intelligent way. What they did is increase movie ticket prices to absurd levels in some cities. I remember here they uniformly went to $14 before they were forced to bring it down a bit, especially after AMC moved into the market aggressively. So they recouped some of their losses that way.

Yeah, they do approach it better. The only reason I download movies is to see movies I "can't see."

As soon as I watch them, they're deleted, so it's not like I'm profiting in any way or making them lose money in the process. It's a slippery slope I guess.

LemonMacPhisto said:

As soon as I watch them, they're deleted, so it's not like I'm profiting in any way or making them lose money in the process.

Well, the movie people especially go after the people with inside connections who copy and sell promo copies. They're starting to work out technology that they think may at least slow those people down, but when they catch those guys, it isn't pretty.

They're going after the guys who are uploading the movies you download.

Back
Top Bottom