Riaa - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2007, 04:38 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
I'm fucked then.

we all are... ! everyone one of us are doomed ... there would no one left in the US...

Old 12-31-2007, 04:50 PM   #17
She's the One

Local Time: 03:12 AM
Only people who don't listen to music. :shudder:

Old 12-31-2007, 05:02 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Pinball Wizard
After the raid on OiNK's Pink Palace via the RIAA, this article was circulated around (and for good reason). It now sits -with priority- on the remnants of the OiNK site, and it elaborates on some of the ambiguities and paradoxes associated with "illegal" downloading.

http://www.demonbaby.com/blog/2007/1...-birth-of.html

Personally, I'm sick of buying CDs and vinyl (for monetary and space reasons), and as of yet, there are no authorized vendors of legal digital content that have a satisfactory price system and broad enough music selection. The RIAA isn't doing the industry a favor by making the means of acquiring music less convenient.
Thanks for the link. That was a good read.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:12 AM
i used to get really upset when reading what the riaa was up to.

the suing, and the like.

now, while comical in a dark sense, almost everyone knows that they're losing a battle they cannot win.

BUSINESS MODELS CHANGE.

they can go to court, and write all the letters they like but it won't do them any good. it's already changed years ago, and they're their own architects of failure.

it's a shame these random individuals they're picking on bear the brunt of their ineptitude, though.

everything about these suits are absurd. it cannot be maid further evident than by their settlements themselves. no song is worth a set amount, it's all wildly thrown about. some songs are worth thousands, others much less. they just want whatever they can get... i've never once seen a price foundation from which they've worked from.

oh well. time's already left them behind. they're so out of touch, i reckon this won't even be an issue in a few years time as they'll have had no choice but to finally look at the industry in a totally different light.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
It still amazes me that anyone uses Peer-to-Peer anymore, when Torrenting is available.
Torrenting isn't any safer.

My brother and cousin both received cease and desist letters from Paramount via their ISPs after downloading some movies on Torrents.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:03 PM   #21
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Here's a link that discusses the case and the illegal downloading aspect of it:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/30/r...erks-about-it/
i love the title of that article!

i'm so sick of hearing about all of this. like deathbear said, they're fighting a losing battle and i wish they'd realise that. they can sue every single person who's ever illegally downloaded anything, and people will still continue to do it. new people will download torrents and the like, and some of those who'd been sued will download too just out of spite.

my isp has blocked torrents, so i couldn't download them anyway even if i wanted. glad to see they've decided for me what i should and shouldn't do like i'm six years old.

there's got to be some sort of way the downloaders and the riaa can coexist peacefully. i don't think they'll let that happen until they bankrupt themselves though.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:05 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

For some of the torrent-blocking issues, there are ways around it. I have Comcast and while I could download with no problem, it wouldn't let me upload, so any site where you have to keep up a good share ration, I was screwed.

But I looked into it online a bit and found a few things I could do to get around that, and so far, so good. (Knock on wood.)

Most of what I download via torrent are live concert bootlegs, so I'm not too worried about that. I do download a TV show here or there - maybe two or three a year.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
For some of the torrent-blocking issues, there are ways around it. I have Comcast and while I could download with no problem, it wouldn't let me upload, so any site where you have to keep up a good share ration, I was screwed.
The studios care about uploading, not downloading. I wonder if my brother still has his letter, but that was pretty much the crux of it.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

Ah, so they want to go after those who do the sharing, not the taking. That makes sense.

I've seen similar letters posted online by folks who have received them.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

I haven't seen numbers for iTunes users so I'm not sure how widespread paying for downloads is. However, I still think it's absurd to charge us $9.99 per full CD downloaded. Frankly a lot of actual CDs can be bought for that amount or just a couple of bucks more when they're first released. And then you get a CD, the artwork, case, and not to mention, the far superior quality. iTunes peddles shitty quality which you can't even burn without the use of other software, without artwork or any physical, tangible thing.

You'd have to look at profit margins to find out what is fair, but I suspect they could sell albums for far less than $9.99 and songs for far less than 99 cents and people would use it more.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #26
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Frankly a lot of actual CDs can be bought for that amount or just a couple of bucks more when they're first released. And then you get a CD, the artwork, case, and not to mention, the far superior quality.
That's why I only but individual songs and the occasional ep from iTunes, never a full cd.

But I can burn my iTunes purchases without anything extra.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Torrenting isn't any safer.

My brother and cousin both received cease and desist letters from Paramount via their ISPs after downloading some movies on Torrents.

Well, I never download movies. The movie studios are the guys you really don't want to mess with.

For me it's mostly TV shows, specifically British ones that don't air in the U.S. at the same time, or ones that aren't on the air anymore or on DVD.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #28
Blue Crack Distributor

Well, at least it seems the movie studios will tell you "Hey, knock it off, bonehead" before they come after you.

Maybe the RIAA should take some notes.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:14 PM   #29
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
The movie studios are the guys you really don't want to mess with.
Oh hell no. You go down when you mess with them.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:04 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
But I can burn my iTunes purchases without anything extra.
Me too.