RHCP sue Showtime over "Californication" show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Butterscotch

War Child
I usually think people who sue are assholes, but in this case I have to agree with the band. The title is bad enough, but having a character called "Dani California" is way, way too much not to be influenced by the band. I know pop culture references find their way into all kinds of shows, but the band argues the show steals the unique identity the songs have with the band and give them to the show instead.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071120...ili_peppers;_ylt=An0PRya6qZJ8sBHqN9KCpOMnHL8C

siskoob3.jpg

I never got past the first episode, which I hated, so I don't know if this continued throughout the series or not but I also noticed RHCP lyrics slipped into the dialogue. I thought the whole RHCP's thing was weird and am not surprised by the lawsuit (not saying I agree or disagree with it, just not surprised).

I'm just disappointed that Keidis refers to Californication as the band's "signature" album and "signature" song. I love the record, but surely BloodSugarSexMagik had a bigger impact, and surely Under The Bridge is their "signature" song.

Canadiens1160 said:
Mary Jane's Last Dance? Irony, anyone?

That's the first thing I thought of too when I read this. I hope they find some Tom Petty class soon.
And if they don't, then I hope half of the proceeds will go to him.

:grumpy:

never really sat thru and watched a whole show. And I like David Ducoveny(SP?) too. I guess there are one too many shows with similiar storylines to me that it didn't interest me enough..

Kinda looks like RHCP may have a point here (enough for a lawsuit but would it be enough to win the case).. Guess we will wait and see. Even though they don't have a trademark on the name I am not so sure if they need that to actually get the show to stop using that name or not.. (any trademark attorneys out there?)

I think if they had just admitted the show was RHCP influenced, and mentioned the band specifically and not just their songs and characters in the dialogue, the band may even have found it funny, and a good promotion, and not said anything. It's that they seemed to sneak their songs/quotes in and then deny it that bothers them, IMO, and I agree.

namkcuR said:
I'm just disappointed that Keidis refers to Californication as the band's "signature" album and "signature" song. I love the record, but surely BloodSugarSexMagik had a bigger impact, and surely Under The Bridge is their "signature" song.

I think he sort of did it to prove a point.

BloodSugarSexMagik definitely had a bigger impact, but I think Californication is the better album. It's also the album that "saved" the band because Frusciante returned, as if he had not they would have broken up.

Under the Bridge vs. Californication is sort of the RHCP version of Streets vs. Bad.

phillyfan26 said:
Under the Bridge vs. Californication is sort of the RHCP version of Streets vs. Bad.

I'd say more of Streets vs. Elevation. Phenomenal vs. cheesy but catchy. Classic vs. people will argue it's only done to reign in a younger audience.

corianderstem said:

What's the story there? I don't get the reference. And therefore, the irony. :wink:

Dani California is essentially a ripoff of Mary Jane's Last Dance (in some people's minds, anyway).

The irony implied is that Tom Petty, who surely knows what Dani California sounds like, never sued or demanded anything from the Peppers for "borrowing" his song.

Honestly, I don't think the two songs sound as similar as people claim they do. I hear a bit of a resembelance, yeah, but they're not identical, imho.

Anywho, never seen the show, and if it's true they're directly taking titles/quotes/whatever from the band, I can see them having an issue with it. But I still think a lawsuit's kinda silly.

Angela

pepokiss said:
with all this U2/RHCP comparisons..

Has U2 ever had an issue with the show "One Tree Hill?"

Only comparison between U2 and RHCP- they are both old.

I don't think Dani California sounds anything like MJ's last dance. The name reminds me more of some future reality show they'll do with Dannielynn when she grows up.

I didn't realize any character on the show was named Dani. Apparently she was Charlie's (naughty) secretary.

But you have to admit when you hear the name of the show, you think of the song/the RHCP

Butterscotch said:

Has U2 ever had an issue with the show "One Tree Hill?"

Only comparison between U2 and RHCP- they are both old.

I don't think Dani California sounds anything like MJ's last dance. The name reminds me more of some future reality show they'll do with Dannielynn when she grows up.

But the creator of One Tree Hill the TV show acknowledged that the U2 song inspired the title.

phillyfan26 said:
But the creator of One Tree Hill the TV show acknowledged that the U2 song inspired the title.
not only that, but it'd be different if there was a character on the show named, say, macphisto (i've never seen one tree hill so i don't even know what it's about) and snuck U2 lyrics into dialogue.

to rip off any artist like that is pretty lame i think.

I kind of understand this. Unless "Californication" is a figure of speech in California (and I have no idea if it is), I'd say RHCP have a case. The show probably wouldn't have been named that without the Chilli Peppers' album title or song title or whatever.

KhanadaRhodes said:

not only that, but it'd be different if there was a character on the show named, say, macphisto (i've never seen one tree hill so i don't even know what it's about) and snuck U2 lyrics into dialogue.

to rip off any artist like that is pretty lame i think.

I agree. Plus, isn't One Tree Hill an actual location in New Zealand?

Hey I already said I agree with RHCP I was just joking over U2!

Butterscotch said:
I think if they had just admitted the show was RHCP influenced, and mentioned the band specifically and not just their songs and characters in the dialogue, the band may even have found it funny, and a good promotion, and not said anything. It's that they seemed to sneak their songs/quotes in and then deny it that bothers them, IMO, and I agree.

The Dani California thing is going too far. That makes it really obvious.

Last edited:
Muldfeld said:
I kind of understand this. Unless "Californication" is a figure of speech in California (and I have no idea if it is), I'd say RHCP have a case. The show probably wouldn't have been named that without the Chilli Peppers' album title or song title or whatever.

Actually, the Chili Peppers did not create the name. From what I know, it was a popular bumper sticker in Oregon, "Don't Californicate Oregon" referring to Californians swarming Oregon.

I don't really think of naming one of the show's characters Dani California as a lame rip-off. They named the whole show after RHCP, and then a character. At least to me, it seems more like a compliment to the band than a lame rip-off. It's just too blatant to be anything else.

I'm a big Chili Pepper fan. They're my favorite behind U2, but I'm kind of disappointed they'd pull something like this. They've always been against selling out, at least based on their music they are. I think at one point they even criticized U2 of selling out? And I hate to just jump on that "that band sold out" wagon, but that seems to be the case.

Last edited:
Will it pay as much as the Californication Disneyland Roller Coaster?

WCF said:

They named the whole show after RHCP, and then a character. At least to me, it seems more like a compliment to the band than a lame rip-off. It's just too blatant to be anything else.

That's the thing. It's obviously a ripoff, as are the references in the dialogue, yet they deny it. Like I said before, if they had openly mentioned the band, maybe put up a poster somewhere, they probably would have thought it was cool and even looked at it as a plug for the band. It's that they sneak and deny it that bothers the band. They also feel that things associated with them are now being associated with this show instead and that hurts their rep. That is the OPPOSITE of someone selling their song to a commercial until the song becomes more synonymous with the product than the band, so I don't call this 'selling out' at all. Someone else 'sold out' for them and they don't like it.

Back
Top Bottom