RHCP DVD's: which to buy... 'Live at Slane' or 'Off the map'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jesseu2

Refugee
peoples, i'm having a hard time deciding between the 2.

Off the map has Fire but Slane doesn't.

which should i get? i don't want both.

I've seen both and I think Off the Map is the better of the two. The Slane show didn't take off for me until halfway through the show. Part of that I think is due to the fact that the show begins during daylight hours and somehow that diminished the intensity of the show for me. I like the newer material, though, so that is one thing to consider--which RHCP material do you prefer? If I were you and could only buy one, I'd buy Off the Map and rent Slane. I rented Slane as a way of determining whether I should buy it or not and decided I might buy it someday but not right now. Don't get me wrong, it is still a great show, but if I had to choose I'd go with Off the Map. I'm sure DiGi will have an opinion on this, too.

I own the Slane dvd and I like it but I haven't seen Off The Map.

Earlier this year I bought RHCP greatest hits and videos. At the very end of the videos dvd is a video of the band with lots of behind the scenes stuff and it's great. Not much in the way of concert footage but you get to see life on the road with RHCP.

Live at Slane is the proof why RHCP are so bad live. Kiedis can't sing.

Live at Slane is okay at best. I absolutely love RHCP albums, but I went to see them on their last tour and they just totally sucked. I sat down and didn't even feel the urge to stand up through the show. I got the Slane DVD thinking I possibly just saw one bad show, but this was about the same....disappointing. When it comes to RHCP from now on, I'll stick to studio albums.

I disagree that Kiedis can't sing, and i really disagree that they are bad live. THey have tremendous energy as a band, and Kiedis, though more often than not is a little off, still pulls out something nice once in a while. Still, Off the Map is more consistent in terms of performance, largely because there is more of the old school rap stuff.

I don't remember; is "Dosed" :drool: on Slane?

ALso, anyone heard "Live in Hyde Park"? I bought it in Paris, the two new songs are pretty bitchin'. "Rolling Sly Stone" and "Leverage of Space." I think "Fortune Faded" and "Rolling Sly Stone" are probably indicative of where the next album is going. Anthony has said it'll be more agressive, so I'm seeing them doing fusing the melodicism of their recent work with the energy of the early.

UnforgettableLemon said:
I disagree that Kiedis can't sing, and i really disagree that they are bad live.

I totally agree. They are awesome live. They are so much more than Anthony's voice. I think he gets a very bad rap. To me there's something endearing about the way he sings. So much spirit and energy and just plain fun in that band. I was kind of scared to see them live, thinking I'm too old for their famously rowdy audience, but in fact I had a blast.

UnforgettableLemon said:

ALso, anyone heard "Live in Hyde Park"?

I bought it, pretty good, but I dont know if its worth picking up beacuse where is ALL of the 80s and early 90s funk records? They only got the new stuff, and ONLY 2 songs from BSSMagik, what the???? But it is worth a listen for "Give it Away" at the end, when John F. goes off for like 10 minutes, I like the drum hommage too when Smith plays "sunday bloody sunday".

As for the DVDS, either or really....RHCP are a good live band, but not a great one.

They're pretty much focusing on RHCP's Frusciante lineup in general. I personally don't mind, though I do miss Knock Me Down and Fight Like a Brave. But interestingly enoguh, they've also dropped the early songs with Frusciante, such as the aformentined Knock Me Down, Higher Ground, and Johnny Kick a Hole in the Sky.

Ya, I heard basically Johnny boy is the man in charge, which I dont mind, hes my second favorite modern guitarist after Edge, I would have loved the hear "higher ground" though.

Their material is more consistent with him, but they're also a much more seasoned band now. I'm really looking forward to Anthony's autobiography

Back
Top Bottom