RFMRSINE: Randooooooooooooooomers for more road signs in New England

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i got lost in cambridge for an HOUR last week because of those damn hat signs being so small and few and far between.

:mad:

how come new hampshire has road signs?

Rhode Island and the Mass Pike are probably the best-signed areas in New England. Connecticut just likes people to get lost. :madspit:

It would have been okay to vote for Testje in the poll since they don't have any votes yet and Randoom is only going to get 5 or 6 anyway, I think!

IWasBored said:
i got lost in cambridge for an HOUR last week because of those damn hat signs being so small and few and far between.

:mad:

how come new hampshire has road signs?
Because there's a car race track there and they want the rednecks to be able to get out. :evil:

randoooom isn't going to get as many votes in the end, testje will have more eventually (once it's no longer 3am in europe).

*moment of silence for the old randooooom*

That's funny that we commented on the Mass Pike at the same time...

You have to actually get ON the Mass Pike before it's well-signed. It's confusing as hell to get on it from 146 North; the green road signs and orange construction signs all contradict each other.

Schmeg said:

Because there's a car race track there and they want the rednecks to be able to get out. :evil:

:lol:

right up near the MA/NH boarder there are huge-ass liquor store signs. apparently so people can drive up to NH to get their booze sales tax-free.

although not too many people live in those upper regions of MA west of worcester.....if i were to drive up there to get some beer, it would be more expensive to factor in the gas i used than paying the sales tax down here :coocoo:

Schmeg said:
That's funny that we commented on the Mass Pike at the same time...

You have to actually get ON the Mass Pike before it's well-signed. It's confusing as hell to get on it from 146 North; the green road signs and orange construction signs all contradict each other.

it is freaking horrible to find the pike.

they like to hide it or something.

the NY thruway is far better signed than the pike, though.

here's another thing:

worcester.

what the fuck?

is that so you can tell who's a new englander and who's not? accents aren't too clear an indicator unless you're nearer to the coast, but everyone knows that it's wustah/wuster.

oh, and driving along route 9 from amherst to worcester, how about leicester?

and amherst. we don't pronounce the H here. it's amerst.

oooooooooh.

social d are cancelling their shows in ohoi and ny.

maybe they'll still be sick on the 22nd and 23rd when they come here, and they'll postpone them for weekend dates sometime in the near future!

/wishful thinking.

IWasBored said:

it is freaking horrible to find the pike.

they like to hide it or something.

the NY thruway is far better signed than the pike, though.
:lol: I think they do hide it! Then when you get there it's all pilgrim hats and rocks and crazy Masshole drivers!

Doesn't the Mass Pike become the NY Thruway once you cross the border? I should probably know that since that's how we get to Lake Placid every year...

(edit after I wrote the rest of this post) ^ :lmao: That's the best! Or the worst!

More Random Massachusetts Town Names:

Sandwich
Chikopee

Dorchester actually uses all the letters it has; it's not pronounced Doostah. Weird.

And what's up with the Boros? Marlboro, Boxboro, Foxboro...I know there's more but that's all I can think of.

Schmeg said:

:lol: I think they do hide it! Then when you get there it's all pilgrim hats and rocks and crazy Masshole drivers!

Doesn't the Mass Pike become the NY Thruway once you cross the border? I should probably know that since that's how we get to Lake Placid every year...

:der:

i have no freaking clue. ifeel like i should know this. one thing that confused the hell out of me was that when you take the thruway up through albany and you take an exit to a route 9 that leads you into vermont, once you cross state lines it becomes route 7. or maybe it's vice versa.

we don't take the pike when we go to ny.

The Thruway gets crazy in Albany and I think you actually have to take an exit to stay on it.

Schmeg said:
(edit after I wrote the rest of this post) ^ :lmao: That's the best! Or the worst!

More Random Massachusetts Town Names:

Sandwich
Chikopee

Dorchester actually uses all the letters it has; it's not pronounced Doostah. Weird.

And what's up with the Boros? Marlboro, Boxboro, Foxboro...I know there's more but that's all I can think of.

:lol: i'm trying to imagine the street dogs song "in defense of dorchester" being sung as "in defense of dooooostaah"

chicopee? that's about 30 min from me. i got lost there once. or maybe lost in holyoke...i can't remember. they're right next to each other.

hey, why is mount HOLYOKE college in south hadley and not holyoke?

I'm going to read Dorchester as Doostah from now on. :grumpy:

Buzzards Bay is a good one too. And Braintree is just silly. Marblehead is too, if you think about it too much.

Schmeg said:
The Thruway gets crazy in Albany and I think you actually have to take an exit to stay on it.

i didn't have any problems. the signs were huge and pretty clearly labeled (like a mile before the exit they started showing up....there's some highway that goes from western MA to NH that's got really shitty signage for exits, the exits just kind of pop up and appear as you get there).

another cracked out mass thing worth mentioning is the cambridge/sommerville exit on the mass pike, #18.

you're driving along, every exit is on the right. where is this one? on the LEFT.

this is only second place wierdness, due to the fact that there's a 91 (i think it's 91) exit into springfield right in the middle of the road. seriously, the left and right lanes split off and the middle goes down a hill and under an overpass, around a corner and drops you into downtown springfield. :crazy:

Schmeg said:
I'm going to read Dorchester as Doostah from now on. :grumpy:

Buzzards Bay is a good one too. And Braintree is just silly. Marblehead is too, if you think about it too much.

haha, braintree. my first roommate this year (the one who had the insanely good taste in music, and left school 2 days before classes started) was from braintree.

i just realized i have my maps here with me.

*going hunting for funny names*

:hmm: Maybe it's not the Thruway, then; there was one part where my mom and I ended up going 20 miles in the wrong direction because of Albany.

oh yeah, haverhill.

also known as haverull. or that's how i spelled it once....in high school once, ultimate frisbee practice got rained out and we had a meeting instead just to discuss small details of some of the plays we were using, and i was given the task to write stuff on the board. and i had no freaking clue how to spell haverhill.

IMAG0000.GIF

:hmm:

maybe we DO take the pike to NY.

that part around otis/beckett is hilarious. you drive from one town to the other and back in the shortest span of time.

"we're in otis! beckett! otis!! beckett!!!"

route 21 (i think, maybe it's 202) does something like that in amherst/south hadley. you cross into granby for like 2 seconds.

I think the names of the counties are longer than the names of the actual towns.

Let's do RI now! :hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom