Revolver appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My favorite one. This is where the band became legendary.

Paul reveals himself to be a brilliant melodist. "Here, There, and Everywhere" and "For No One" are masterpieces. A lot of that wonderfully expressive lyrical bass of his too.

Ringo has some amazing drumming, especially on "She Said, She Said" (and "Rain" from the same year). He also has one of his better known vocals on "Yellow Submarine" (and the bizarreness of this song being in the middle of this album seems to be underappreciated).

Lennon was on the verge of his best work, and his material here has some obvious signs of it. E.g., lyrics that don't really say anything but feel like they do (as in the aforementioned "She Said, She Said," which is one of my favorite Beatles songs), dashes of drug-induced psychedelia, and that feel of organized chaos that defines a song like "Tomorrow Never Knows." He was getting lazier about his writing, but that didn't diminish it (see "I'm Only Sleeping").

George too was coming into his own; "Taxman" is a good opener, but my favorite is "I Want To Tell You"; it's a song that only George could've written because of the way it combines elements of Indian music (e.g., it's built around more of a drone than a chord sequence) with those of Western popular music. Great layered vocals (which was also characteristic of this album).

Last edited:
typhoon said:

Lennon was on the verge of his best work, and his material here has some obvious signs of it. E.g., lyrics that don't really say anything but feel like they do (as in the aforementioned "She Said, She Said," which is one of my favorite Beatles songs), dashes of drug-induced psychedelia, and that feel of organized chaos that defines a song like "Tomorrow Never Knows." He was getting lazier about his writing, but that didn't diminish it (see "I'm Only Sleeping").

'she said she said' is fucking awesome. i've never figured out why i like that song so much, i just do.

when i was 12 my best friend came over and i can't remember how many times we listened to 'good day sunshine' (also not sure why i liked that song so much)...some absurd number of times. but i don't think i've listened to it very much in the last 5 or 6 years. last night i put in a part of the beatles anthology and was watching it and that's what reminded me it rules so much. well, that the beatles rule actually. as far into punk rock and other stuff i get into, i guess they're still always going to be my favourite band. crap, am i allowed to say that? i mean, i wore my beatles shirt (which has since died...too many un-repairable holes) to the dentist once and he told me i wasn't old enough to like them. asshole.

anyway, i'll quit being sappy now.

Hearing the Beatles always gives me such a warm, fuzzy feeling - in a good way, not a cheesy way. I guess part of it is because it always reminds me of my childhood. My older brothers loved them, so I heard their music all the time growing up.

As far as Revolver goes, all the songs are great, but I have a special love for "And Your Bird Can Sing." Don't ask, I can't explain it. :lol:

i reckon beatles are awesome and i'm only 18........

Personally, i reckon Sgt Peppers is a lot better, and as a collection of songs,
the Magical Mystery Tour track listing is unbelievable, featuring Strawberry Fields and the Fool On the Hill

I love this album, it's beautiful, artsy, great in so many ways. I love "I'm Only Sleeping", great lyrics! I like "She Said She Said," well, I like all of them!

But I have a question for you guys, which songs are on your copy? When I bought the CD, it had songs on it like And Your Bird Is Green and Doctor Robert that were not on our old LP my family had. Those were on another record called "Yesterday and Today", the one where they're sitting around the trunk, that used to be the butcher cover that was banned? I've also heard the British and US versions were different?

U2Kitten said:

But I have a question for you guys, which songs are on your copy? When I bought the CD, it had songs on it like And Your Bird Is Green and Doctor Robert that were not on our old LP my family had. Those were on another record called "Yesterday and Today", the one where they're sitting around the trunk, that used to be the butcher cover that was banned? I've also heard the British and US versions were different?

Up until Sgt Pepper's Beatles releases in America and the UK were different. Even if albums were released with the same names, the tracklistings might be very different. All releases were synchronized from Sgt Pepper's onward. The CD reissues are reissues of their albums as they were originally released in the UK. So if your family bought the American releases years ago, that would explain the difference,

ThatGuy said:

Up until Sgt Pepper's Beatles releases in America and the UK were different. Even if albums were released with the same names, the tracklistings might be very different. All releases were synchronized from Sgt Pepper's onward. The CD reissues are reissues of their albums as they were originally released in the UK. So if your family bought the American releases years ago, that would explain the difference,

rubber soul is like that too. my mom's still got her copy oin vinyl from when it came out (i'm scared to death to play it cos i'm worried something might happen to it) and when i got it on cd there were a lot of differences in the track listing. when stuff was re-mastered or whatever, they added the singles as well. nowhere man was one of them.

somehow 'it's only love" showed up on two different albums that way...help! and rubber soul, i believe. that confused the hell out of me.

i think there were some releases of sgt pepper on cd though that included penny lane and strawberry fields forever. not sure though.

Back
Top Bottom