Review The Movie You Viewed Part VIII: Lance's Mom Takes Manhattan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeyskin

Refugee
Inglourious Basterds

After the wake up call of Death Proof, Quentin Tarantino gets his mojo back with his new spaghetti-WW2 film. The long stretches of dialogue that in all fairness could be trimmed or snipped entirely remain, but unlike his previous effort the dialogue scenes actually have a point to them. Characters are defined and motives are elegantly laid out for us, while the lengthier chats slowly escalate into levels of tension and drama that many straight action films can only dream of achieving.

In fact, it's actually a pleasure to say that the real meat of the film and much of the enjoyment is down to the dialogue. As I've already said it movies the story foward in it's own time as well as being gripping, but it's also very funny in places. There were quite a few times the people in my screening burst out laughing. The dialogue is better than anything he's done this decade and unlike his 90s work it's not made up of hip, pop culture references, relying on cat and mouse games instead.

As with the 70s martial arts refs of Kill Bill, this obviously has many western throwbacks. The first chapter could be straight out of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, with additional nods to The Searchers. After that The Dirty Dozen is a major influence, but Tarantino makes the genre his own.

But after all this praise, the film somehow feels less than the sum of it's impressive parts. The chapter divides are a distraction and feel jarring and the Basterds themselves are onscreen a lot less than to be expected. One chapter in particular, despite building to a rivetting climax, is superfluous to requirements and serves only to set up one plot point later in the film. But this is certainly his best since Kill Bill Vol 1, but I do hope he quits with the genre pastiches for his next film.

Ah, found it hiding in the advanced options.

After all that effort to spell the film correctly too.

There's that cool quote I read somewhere, can't place it, where QT says that Dogs, Pulp, and Jackie Brown exist in a film world, and things like Kill Bill, Death Proof and Inglourious Basterds exist in the movies that they watch in that world, with its own set of rules, etc...

Again, I don't know how legit that is, but that's an interesting idea to swallow.

District 9

Very interesting take on the alien invasion scenario. I got up from my seat feeling slightly nauseous because of the damn shaky camera; I handled it ok until the battle at the headquarters but then just had to close my eyes once in a while. Still, really liked the film.

you know, I dont think I've ever come across another place with puns the calibre of which i read here. I quite enjoy them

Punch Drunk Love

I have no idea what took me so long to see this. I'm sorry I waited. Charming isn't quite the right word to describe the movie ... and yet it was charming.

I quite like Adam Sandler when he's not being ... well, Adam Sandler.

I can't begin to describe how much I adore Punch-Drunk Love. Probably my 6th or 7th favorite film of the decade.

Basterds was fucking brilliant. More thoughts on it later.

One note for now:

Who the hell is that girl that played Shoshanna? Wow. What a character, what a performance, what a story.

I can't begin to describe how much I adore Punch-Drunk Love. Probably my 6th or 7th favorite film of the decade.

Oh hell yes.

Basterds was fucking brilliant. More thoughts on it later.

One note for now:

Who the hell is that girl that played Shoshanna? Wow. What a character, what a performance, what a story.

Ha, everyone I know is raving about Christoph Waltz but leave it to you to rave about her. :)

Ha, everyone I know is raving about Christoph Waltz but leave it to you to rave about her. :)

Waltz was wonderful. In fact, I could rave about pretty much every single aspect of the film but, yes, I chose to make my initial rave about Melanie Laurent. She was the heart and soul of the film and I had the strongest connection with her character. Shosanna and her story is one of Tarantino's greatest inventions, if not the greatest.

Three performances stood out and they are three performances that I will remember until my dying day.

1. Melanie Laurent as Shosanna
2. Christoph Waltz as Detective Landa
3. Brad Pitt as Aldo Raines

Unforgettable characters and performances. If Laurent and Waltz don't get Oscar nominations, I will eat my Ozzie Guillen-signed baseball bat.

I'm willing to go ahead and put this right behind PF (which, as cliche as it may sound, is one of my 10 favorite movies evar) in my ranking of QT's catalogue.

I'll try and stop talking now, because I could go on forever. Saw the film today with 3 of my closest buddies. The 3:30 showing. We left the movie theater at somewhere around 6:20. The four of us didn't stop discussing and dissecting the film in painstaking and enthusiastic detail until 9 o'clock. With smiles on our faces the entire time.

Shosanna 4eva.

Not at all. Apart from TWBB, Magnolia is probably my favorite PT.

inglourious_basterdsface.jpg

Am I the only person here who prefers Magnolia to Punch Drunk Love and Boogie Nights?

No. Punch Drunk is easily my least favorite of the three although I did like it. I just remember getting kind of restless at some point and looking at my watch.

Saw Humpday last night. Really funny and smart if you like Mark Duplass (I generally do). Great writing and direction.

Magnolia is his best film, with out a doubt.

But in here?

Who the fuck knows, in here they write 29 pages about imaginary Star Wars scenes.

Not everyone can your refined sensibilities, Deep.

Also, had no idea that your opinion had become gospel. Glad that there are no doubts about which PTA film is the best, thanks for clearing that up! :up:

I'd wager the critical consensus even these days is that Boogie Nights is his best film anyway. Not that I put a lot of stock in the "critical consensus." But yeah...

Really? I thought Boogie Nights was still seen as being too derivative to be called a true masterpiece. It's funny as hell, but it's watered-down and sexed-up GoodFellas, in a very obvious fashion.

Magnolia has been compared to Robert Altman because of all the characters, but the visuals are PTA all the way, and I might even go so far as to say it's better than anything the Master ever did, with the possible exception of McCabe & Mrs. Miller.

Bold statements. Though I'm not sure I disagree entirely. Magnolia really is something special.

I fucking love Magnolia. I like it better than Boogie Nights. There's just something about Punch Drunk Love that really appeals to me. :shrug: Call it a Joshua Tree/Achtung Baby scenario...I love both, just like one slightly more than the other.

As for which is his "best" work, I'm not as arrogant self-assured as you fucks, so I just can't make statements like that. I only can account for what my favorites are.

Punch-Drunk Love is certainly likable, even lovable. But it never blew me away in the fashion that Magnolia or There Will Be Blood did. From an artistic perspective they are both more ambitious projects, and I'm just a sucker for directors aiming high, even too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom