Review The Movie You Viewed Part VIII: Lance's Mom Takes Manhattan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never seen a Halloween movie. I saw the Excorcist when I was a kid and that kinda ruined me on the entire genre. I'm still f'd up from that movie. True story.

They're playing it at the student theater next week with a panel discussion of some theological professors afterwards. Really looking forward to it, and this is coming from a guy who was terrified of this movie for as long as I had heard about it until about a month ago.

They're playing it at the student theater next week with a panel discussion of some theological professors afterwards. Really looking forward to it, and this is coming from a guy who was terrified of this movie for as long as I had heard about it until about a month ago.

Have you seen it yet? I bet if I watched it now, I'd be fine, it might actually be cathartic, but I can't bring myself to do it. I've passed on TV a few times, but never stay with it more than a couple of seconds. Which school, by the way? Maybe if I spoke to some Theological professionals it would help...

Inglourious Basterds

Can't really make up my mind about the film yet. I thought it was bizarre, often hilarious, parts of it were great (especially the finale), other parts were quite tedious and the clever-clever references got on my nerves a bit sometimes. Christoph Waltz was brilliant. The "Basterds" themselves were probably the weakest of the bunch - I didn't really find any of them particularly memorable and Brad Pitt's acting (and accent) didn't work for me. Nothing takes me more out of the film than a performance that makes me feel acutely aware that I am watching acting.

Have you seen it yet? I bet if I watched it now, I'd be fine, it might actually be cathartic, but I can't bring myself to do it. I've passed on TV a few times, but never stay with it more than a couple of seconds. Which school, by the way? Maybe if I spoke to some Theological professionals it would help...

I watched it about a month ago, and it was cathartic in that sense. What helped me out was doing research on the make-up effects and general making-of of the film, just to get myself in the "it's a fucking movie, don't be scared, kid" mindset. Still a gripping and unnerving film, but at least I can acknowledge it in that way without having pee in my pants.

Florida State.

Finally got around to burning and watching Let The Right One In, after having it on my hard drive for many months now. It certainly deserves all the accolades it received.

Question - how would I know if the version I watched had the original theatrical subtitles, or the subtitles from the first US dvd release? Was there that much of a difference between them?

Finally got around to burning and watching Let The Right One In, after having it on my hard drive for many months now. It certainly deserves all the accolades it received.

Question - how would I know if the version I watched had the original theatrical subtitles, or the subtitles from the first US dvd release? Was there that much of a difference between them?

If it was a DVD screener, then it had the original subtitles. An early DVD rip would have the new titles.

On the back of the DVD, if the subtitles say "English (Theatrical)," then it's the originals.

just thank Allah (PBUH)

you did not get the dubbed version

when the American remake hits the theaters
I will probably go on a mayhem spree

500 Days of Summer

Music-video-style pouring out its ears. A bit too much for my taste. And perhaps a bit too liberal in its schizophrenic editing methodology. But this was an effective story nonetheless. Based on the strength of Joseph Gordon Levitt and Teh Zooey alone I'd recommend. Speaking of whom, I was way more in man-love with Levitt during this flick than I was smitten with Teh Zooey. He's just the greatest.

/gay

That sounded judgmental and it wasn't supposed to be. I just never gathered why you like the guy so much.

500 Days of Summer

Music-video-style pouring out its ears. A bit too much for my taste. And perhaps a bit too liberal in its schizophrenic editing methodology. But this was an effective story nonetheless. Based on the strength of Joseph Gordon Levitt and Teh Zooey alone I'd recommend. Speaking of whom, I was way more in man-love with Levitt during this flick than I was smitten with Teh Zooey. He's just the greatest.

/gay

I kind of liked some of the music-video-ness of it. It added to the charm as you could just tell it was a first-timer finally let loose to pour out his creativity to enhancce the story (the split screen Expectation / Reality a prime example). The dance number also made me smile even wider. In fact I think comparisons to Annie Hall are very appropriate here, both for subject matter and visual / narrative techniques.

Glad you enjoyed it though, I loved it, loved it, loved it. Totally echo your thoughts on the two leads as well, particularly JGL. I'd so spit roast him with you if you want.

I kind of liked some of the music-video-ness of it. It added to the charm as you could just tell it was a first-timer finally let loose to pour out his creativity to enhancce the story (the split screen Expectation / Reality a prime example). The dance number also made me smile even wider. In fact I think comparisons to Annie Hall are very appropriate here, both for subject matter and visual / narrative techniques.

Glad you enjoyed it though, I loved it, loved it, loved it. Totally echo your thoughts on the two leads as well, particularly JGL. I'd so spit roast him with you if you want.

Don't get me wrong. Some of it was effective. Particularly the moments you highlighted. And much of the camerawork was suitably evocative. Some of it on the other hand just grew a bit tiresome. But yes, I certainly respect the sheer creative excess of the filmmaker making the most of an opportunity. I really enjoyed the film as well, but didn't quite love it.

Mysterious Skin, The Lookout and BRICK.

Yeah... this. He's simply one of the most talented young actors working. I thought he was exceptional even back on 3rd Rock too. Him along with Colin Farrell I think are really hitting a stride in their respective careers recently, and the two of them, while maybe not quite the very best actors in the business, are the two I find the most compelling on screen lately. But yeah, total man-love overload for JGL.

I used to watch 3rd Rock back in the day but I honestly don't remember enough of his performance apart from him always being entertaining. Not so clear on anything weighty. But I love that he's so versatile and diverse in his choices. Along with those already mentioned, I see he's appeared in Killshot and GI Joe playing dramatically different roles. Haven't seen those two, but still.

And yes on Farrell. The Way Back with Ed Harris and directed by Peter Weir looks interesting. Also Doctor Parnassus, but there's only one actor most people will be paying attention to in that one.

3rd Rock From the Sun: The second best American sitcom of the last 15 years to feature the number 3 and the word Rock in its title

If it was a DVD screener, then it had the original subtitles. An early DVD rip would have the new titles.

On the back of the DVD, if the subtitles say "English (Theatrical)," then it's the originals.

Well, I didn't have the dvd :shifty: so I couldn't tell that way. But I'm guessing that the screener would have had a watermark, the way that most screeners do?

Yeah, the upcoming US version sounds like there's big trainwreck potential there. The kids in this version did a phenomenal job. The girl sort of reminded me of a very young Sara Gilbert, circa early Roseanne.

Well, I didn't have the dvd :shifty: so I couldn't tell that way. But I'm guessing that the screener would have had a watermark, the way that most screeners do?

Yeah, the upcoming US version sounds like there's big trainwreck potential there. The kids in this version did a phenomenal job. The girl sort of reminded me of a very young Sara Gilbert, circa early Roseanne.

Yes, you've got a screener. Keep it until you get the DVD with the right subtitles, if you want to buy it.

I used to watch 3rd Rock back in the day but I honestly don't remember enough of his performance apart from him always being entertaining. Not so clear on anything weighty. But I love that he's so versatile and diverse in his choices. Along with those already mentioned, I see he's appeared in Killshot and GI Joe playing dramatically different roles. Haven't seen those two, but still.

I remember him being extremely charismatic, chewing scenery right up there on the level with John Lithgow, which is no easy feat.

monkey said:
And yes on Farrell. The Way Back with Ed Harris and directed by Peter Weir looks interesting. Also Doctor Parnassus, but there's only one actor most people will be paying attention to in that one.

His film Triage is getting good early buzz as well. As for the Neil Jordan film... we'll wait and see, although the early stills I've seen are really nice.

So I watched 'Gigantic' on On Demand last night...

Decent movie.

Paul Dano, Zooey Deschanel:drool:, and John Goodman were all great!

The story was good...

But then it had this really odd sub-plot with Zach Galifianakis that just didn't make any sense to me. I couldn't tell if it just wasn't developed enough because maybe they had to edit it for length, or I just didn't get it... I don't know, it wasn't enough to ruin the movie for me, but almost.

Anyone else see it? Any explanation of Zach's character?

Just watched Synecdoche, New York last night.

Well, I loved it. I certainly need a 2nd viewing to completely understand everything, but I just know that I was entranced from start to weighty finish.

I cannot remember the last film I saw that blended humor and sadness so well.

After watching I looked at some RT reviews, and it was pretty polarizing. Rex Reed, that clown, said it was the worst film ever, which speaks volumes for him. Others, like Ebert, Manohla Dargis, etc, truly loved it.

For kicks I looked back at how interlanders liked it, and it was again mixed, but it was easy to predict who would have liked it, disliked it or dismissed it. :shrug:

Anyway, I found it to be fascinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom