Review The Movie You Viewed Part VIII: Lance's Mom Takes Manhattan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe not this weekend, but sometime soon I will. Can't turn down Emma Stone looking that foxy.

It's a crowd-pleaser, yes, but I'd say it's a fairly sophisticated action/comedy that uses a hell of a lot of postmodern tropes as part of its humor. Eisenberg's character's list of zombie survival plays a key role in this, as does the cameo I mentioned earlier. I'd say that scene alone elevates the film to some sort of high that you rarely see in studio films nowadays, if at all.

I'm not trying to convince you to see it immediately or anything, since it's starting to become a busy season, but I don't think it should be dismissed outright. Hell, even Jeff Wells liked it.

Hoping to catch The Invention of Lying, Capitalism, and the Toy Story double feature sometime next week, if possible.

I'm sure I'll catch it on TV some time. Just not a priority in, as you said, a busy season.

Will probably catch Capitalism with the Carp man some time this week.

Hoping to catch The Invention of Lying, Capitalism, and the Toy Story double feature sometime next week, if possible.

I want to get to all of those too. Hopefully with two midterms out of the way I'll be able to find time.

Go see Zombieland this weekend. Please.

Not only is it a thoroughly enjoyable horror/comedy, (less overt than Shaun of the Dead) but it has one of the greatest cameos I have ever seen. It's probably the most pure fun I've had in a theater since Star Trek or Drag Me to Hell, for whatever it's worth.

It's a crowd-pleaser, yes, but I'd say it's a fairly sophisticated action/comedy that uses a hell of a lot of postmodern tropes as part of its humor. Eisenberg's character's list of zombie survival plays a key role in this, as does the cameo I mentioned earlier. I'd say that scene alone elevates the film to some sort of high that you rarely see in studio films nowadays, if at all.

I'm not trying to convince you to see it immediately or anything, since it's starting to become a busy season, but I don't think it should be dismissed outright. Hell, even Jeff Wells liked it.

:up: I posted the trailer for this in the random movie thread months ago and got ignored (big surprise) I'm glad someone liked it. Gonna try and see this one in the next couple of weeks.

:up: I posted the trailer for this in the random movie thread months ago and got ignored (big surprise) I'm glad someone liked it. Gonna try and see this one in the next couple of weeks.

Sorry if I never commented on it. If it wasn't the Red Band trailer, I probably avoided it.

it's all good, so in your opinion was it better than Shaun?

No, but they weren't all that similar besides being comedies involving zombies. Shaun's more of a direct parody of zombie films and conventions while Zombieland just exists in that world, if that makes sense. That's not to say it isn't close to being as funny, but in a different way.

Granted, there aren't a whole lot of things in the world better than Shaun of the Dead.

So I was flippin through the channels and stumbled onto the opening minutes of this movie called "Before Sunset." Ethan Hawke and some French girl were walking around shootin the shit. They had had a one night stand 9 years ago and this was their first time seeing eachother since. Something about it mesmerized me and I sat there and watched the rest of the movie without changing the channel. Loved it. Really good, honest dialogue and a sweetness to the relationship between the two leads. Reminded me of "My Dinner With Andre" except with a romance storyline. Great ending, too. I'm gonna have to go back and watch the first one now.

I'm stunned that you had not seen or even heard of these films before, knowing how into cinema you are.

Both films are fantastic.

Up

Not one of the best Pixar films IMO, but I still enjoyed it a lot. The dogs were priceless :lol: It was the first time I saw a film in 3D as well, I'm not sure that it added -that- much to the experience though.

I really love Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, despite the fact that I've always found Ethan Hawke mildly irritating.

Shadow of the Vampire - Well hello, creepy-as-hell Willem Defoe!

The House of Yes - I hate movies adapted from plays where the dialogue sounds like stilted theater dialogue. And how exactly did Tori Spelling get cast in this?

How did Tori Spelling get cast in ANYTHING, is the question.

Oh yeah:

AaronSpelling.jpg

It Might Get Loud - If you post on this forum, or have any remote interest in rock music, you'll like it. If you post on this forum and say you didn't like it, PM me your address so I can beat you to a bloody pulp.

Zombieland - Hilarious. If you like zombie movies, you'll absolutely love this. If you have no interest in zombie movies, you'll still likely love this.

Halloween (Rob Zombie remake) - I still prefer the original, but this was considerably better than I was expecting. I nearly cheered when Sig Haig popped in for a 60 second scene. One of the better horror franchise remakes.

The Ballad of Jack and Rose

I liked it quite a bit. Camilla Belle was very good, and I liked the kid who played Rodney. DDL is good in pretty much everything.

Capitalism: A Love Story. 7.5/10

Far less bombastic than Michael Moore's movies usually are. There were some parts that were too quick and glossed over, but overall it was enjoyable if you like his work.

Coco Avant Chanel. 8/10

The movie is actually more like a 7/10 but because Audrey Tautou is so beautiful and did such a lovely job, I gave it an 8. Gorgeous cinematography, really good acting by everybody, and an interesting story. You don't get to see almost any of Coco's life in Paris as a designer and I did wish for some of it, purely because I'm interested in it.

So tonight I'm watching that Wolverine movie. This is probably as much as I'm going to say about it, so I'll put that out there now, even though I'm only 20 minutes into it.

Hugh Jackman is gorgeous, so that's probably the only real reason I'm watching it. Oh, and Taylor Kitsch is nice to look at, too.

I watched three more intelligent movies this weekend, and it's been a shitty week, so I deserve some pretty stupidity. :)

I saw the Toy Story 3D double feature. I have never seen either one previously and I loved both. Since I finally made it to Disney World in March for the first time in my life I've been trying to catch up on Disney/Pixar movies.

The 3D quality is the usual top notch Disney standard-since it was conceived in 2D it's not all of that "stuff coming at you" type of 3D but the animation just looks so colorful and pristine. They also showed a preview for Christmas Carol in 3D.

I enjoyed the second half of Wolverine more than the first. It wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting it to be, but definitely nowhere near as good as the X-Men flicks.

Which, I suppose, goes without saying. (Oops, too late!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom