Review The Movie You Viewed Part VIII: Lance's Mom Takes Manhattan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't disagree with you there. The shitty make-up job doesn't do her any favors.

I think she made the most of an already underwhelming character. She definitely the least effective presence in the film, so I'm with you there, but I can't call her terrible in a film where none of the line readings are really any good (aside from some moments from Rorshach and Ozzy). If we're looking for the real offense to the art of acting in this film we should be giving Carla Gugino way more flack than she's received. Given she's a minor character, but holy shit is she fucking awful in every frame.

Agreed.

Don't disagree with you there. The shitty make-up job doesn't do her any favors.

Agreed.

Still enjoy the film though. Speaking of which, I have a Blu-Ray copy of Tales of the Black Freighter from Netflix at home waiting to be watched.

I need to pick up that director's cut one of these days. I'm trying to slow down my purchasing of newer films in the event I get a Blu-Ray before the end of the year.

It's why I haven't bought Benjamin Button yet as well.

Chinatown

Yeah, I finally saw it. There were things I liked about it, but the storyline left me a little cold. Maybe it's because I've known about Faye Dunaway's big secret for years. I'm just not much of a crime movie fan, but I could appreciate a lot of things about it.

Glad to have finally seen it, though.

Definitely agree with the retro look. It was an interesting film visually, but obviously not as striking as The Girlfriend Experience, which was one of the more visually stunning films I've seen in recent memory.

Didn't dig the score at all, but there's no accounting for taste.

I wasn't familiar with the story either, but you're right about the script. Everything really unraveled quite well. Corporate intrigue is sometimes difficult to follow, but everything registered with me and all of the later developments were really cool.

The ever-escalating number of millions stolen especially.

Definitely agree. Probably my favorite Damon character and performance now, beating out Tom Ripley. And his inner monologues were uniformly fantastic and often quite funny.

As far as THE BERGH! goes, this is definitely another fine entry into his filmography. He's cemented himself as one of the best, and now he's got two films in my top five for the year. Not too shabby.

Yes. Although it's right outside the Top 10 for me.

Oh, good. You finally caught it. Welp, I haven't made it to the theater much this year. The only things really jumping out at me right now are The Girlfriend Experience, The Hurt Locker, Basterds, and The Informant.

I watched Teen Witch again and it was so cheap/teenage plot that the film felt like just a half hour long.

LOL!

It's got, arguably, the greatest musical scene of any film of all time:

Top THIS

I've never even seen the movie, and I'm extremely familiar with that scene. Hard to top.

Heyo!

Oh, good. You finally caught it. Welp, I haven't made it to the theater much this year. The only things really jumping out at me right now are The Girlfriend Experience, The Hurt Locker, Basterds, and The Informant.

Excluding The Informant!, those three are in my Top 10, along with Trek, Up, Watchmen, Funny People, District 9, Brothers Bloom, and 500 Days of Zooey

Observe and Report is one I think you'd really dig if you haven't seen it already.

Public Enemies, Moon, and Whatever Works are playing at the school theater soon, none of which I'm dying to see again. Feeling that way about Public Enemies makes me sad.

Was Whatever Works disappointing then? I had high hopes for that.

Likewise. With LD and Woody, the likelihood of my not liking it is very slim anyway.

Excluding The Informant!, those three are in my Top 10, along with Trek, Up, Watchmen, Funny People, District 9, Brothers Bloom, and 500 Days of Zooey

And I haven't seen a single one of those. So uh.... neat.

Observe and Report is one I think you'd really dig if you haven't seen it already.

It's in the queue and would be here a lot sooner if I ever got around to watching Atonement and Jackie Brown. They've been here for about two weeks.

Public Enemies, Moon, and Whatever Works are playing at the school theater soon, none of which I'm dying to see again. Feeling that way about Public Enemies makes me sad.

We've got a free advanced screening of Zombieland at our school theater Tuesday. Might try to head to that, if only because Emma Stone looks really damn hot in it. We've also got Boogie Nights (!), Public Enemies, Bruno, ROBOT HEAVEN, HP6, Ghostbusters (!), and Funny People coming down the ole chute.

Was Whatever Works disappointing then? I had high hopes for that.

No, it was funny enough. The only remarkable thing about it is Larry David, but for some reason his character disappears halfway through as it focuses on Patricia Clarkson's character.

I'd say it's fairly midrange Woody.

Likewise. With LD and Woody, the likelihood of my not liking it is very slim anyway.

And I haven't seen a single one of those. So uh.... neat.

It's in the queue and would be here a lot sooner if I ever got around to watching Atonement and Jackie Brown. They've been here for about two weeks.

We've got a free advanced screening of Zombieland at our school theater Tuesday. Might try to head to that, if only because Emma Stone looks really damn hot in it. We've also got Boogie Nights (!), Public Enemies, Bruno, ROBOT HEAVEN, HP6, Ghostbusters (!), and Funny People coming down the ole chute.

I had Badlands for about a week and a half before I watched it. Really dug it.

There's a screening of Zombieland going down next Thursday, too. Great line-up, we've got Evil Dead 2 (which I'll be out of town for), The Godfather, Do the Right Thing, and Platoon. Mother pusbucket...

Gran Torino Cranky Old Racist

I mainly wanted to see it because my hometown in Wisconsin had a large Hmong population, and I was interested to see a film that had the culture as a focus.

It was pretty ridiculous, but I didn't hate it, and I thought the actor playing Thao and the actress who played his sister were very good.

Obligatory:

gran-torino-clint-eastwood.jpg

Still refuse to see it.

So I was flippin through the channels and stumbled onto the opening minutes of this movie called "Before Sunset." Ethan Hawke and some French girl were walking around shootin the shit. They had had a one night stand 9 years ago and this was their first time seeing eachother since. Something about it mesmerized me and I sat there and watched the rest of the movie without changing the channel. Loved it. Really good, honest dialogue and a sweetness to the relationship between the two leads. Reminded me of "My Dinner With Andre" except with a romance storyline. Great ending, too. I'm gonna have to go back and watch the first one now.

So I was flippin through the channels and stumbled onto the opening minutes of this movie called "Before Sunset." Ethan Hawke and some French girl were walking around shootin the shit. They had had a one night stand 9 years ago and this was their first time seeing eachother since. Something about it mesmerized me and I sat there and watched the rest of the movie without changing the channel. Loved it. Really good, honest dialogue and a sweetness to the relationship between the two leads. Reminded me of "My Dinner With Andre" except with a bit of a romance storyline. Great ending, too. I'm gonna have to go back and watch the first one now.

Love those films to bits and I completely agree with your comments on the honest dialogue and chemistry. Let me know your thoughts on the first one when you get chance to see it and which of the two you prefer.

So I was flippin through the channels and stumbled onto the opening minutes of this movie called "Before Sunset." Ethan Hawke and some French girl were walking around shootin the shit. They had had a one night stand 9 years ago and this was their first time seeing eachother since. Something about it mesmerized me and I sat there and watched the rest of the movie without changing the channel. Loved it. Really good, honest dialogue and a sweetness to the relationship between the two leads. Reminded me of "My Dinner With Andre" except with a romance storyline. Great ending, too. I'm gonna have to go back and watch the first one now.

Perfect, PERFECT ending.

And that moment where he's talking and she reaches out, almost touches him, and pulls away, without him seeing...that's pretty perfect too.

I briefly considered taking a date to see Bright Star and as it turns out I'm really glad I didn't. Nothing could better obliterate what little man-cred I might still retain than inviting a witness to see me as the "sad-looking lonely single college dude weeping my eyes out in the back of a theater during a Jane Campion film" that I was this afternoon.

Oh, also the film is fucking astounding.

Go see Zombieland this weekend. Please.

Not only is it a thoroughly enjoyable horror/comedy, (less overt than Shaun of the Dead) but it has one of the greatest cameos I have ever seen. It's probably the most pure fun I've had in a theater since Star Trek or Drag Me to Hell, for whatever it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom