Review the Movie You Viewed: 9 Seriously Blind Basterds Hurt Up in the Air

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you, dahling.

Mildred Pierce

Summary: Joan Crawford does anything and everything for her ungrateful, spoiled, bitch queen of a daughter.

Veda needs a slap or 300.

In spite the sheer wtf-erry of that, I liked watching it. I'm not often in the mood to watch old classics - which always disappointed me. I wish I liked them more. Maybe I'm on a roll now, after this and Now, Voyager.

I don't often have much to say about the movies I watch, or the books I read. I just know what I like.

The Road

I guess for me the book packed such a brutal, devastating punch that any movie was inevitably going to be a paler approximation - as good as the acting and visuals were they can't really compete with McCarthy's prose. Still, it was interesting to see his bleak world realised onscreen, and I thought that the two leads were wonderful, especially Viggo Mortensen. My only complaint was that, for characters who were living a life of terrible deprivation, they both looked a bit too healthy :)

The Road is not a very good movie at all.

People that have read the book seem to like it because they have an affection for the source material.

The Road is not a very good movie at all.

People that have read the book seem to like it because they have an affection for the source material.

Opinion vs. Fact. Look them up in a dictionary.

I can't speak for myself having read the book, but I do know a number of people (both friends and critics) who weren't familiar with it and liked it.

Withnail & I...Seriously one of THE funniest movies I've ever seen! Definitely a cult comedy classic, like Python. Get it on dvd so you can watch it repeatedly and laugh your arse off. :up::up:

Opinion vs. Fact. Look them up in a dictionary.

I can't speak for myself having read the book, but I do know a number of people (both friends and critics) who weren't familiar with it and liked it.

I went with someone who hadn't read it, but liked it considerably more than myself and the other friend who was there, and we'd both read it.

:shh:

I watched The Aviator for the first time in a very long time last night.

Leo DiCaprio is just...

...so good, almost 2 good. The guy gets himself so worked up!

Fish Tank.

bloody brilliant! loved it! ten outta ten for this. even if there was a lack of dialogue, Katie Jarvis was great..:up:

THIS

I definitely thought DiCaprio's performance was more of a pure creation on his part than Jamie Foxx that year.

Don't even get me started on that bullshit.

They should have at least thrown director to Marty.

But Leo and the film were also the most deserving winners among the nominees that year.

Haven't seen enough of the other nominees to comment fully, but yeah, everything about The Aviator is fantastic.

Way of the future.

So I got back from a pre-screening of Hot Tub Time Machine a couple of hours ago. There are some inspired bits, mostly the recurring appearances of both Crispin Glover and Chevy Chase, which would be terrible for me to spoil. It has fun messing with both time travel concepts and '80s teen sex comedy tropes, particularly with John Cusack's character. Bits of crass humor with bodily functions took me out of it, as they usually do, which almost cancels the wittier portions out. I had fun with it, certainly more than Old School and The Hangover, which this sort of follows the trend of, but that's just me.

If you're compelled to see it, I don't think you'd be too disappointed, but if it doesn't interest you too much, you're not missing out on anything too special.

It may be very silly to get worked up over Academy Awards, but Million Dollar Baby winning Best Picture over The Aviator still makes my blood boil.

But yeah The Aviator is awesome. I liked DiCaprio before but that performance really made go wow. When I first learned that he's going to be in the same film with Cate Blanchett I kinda went, ugh how can he pull off a convincing relationship with her character, he's such a babyface, but it totally worked in the movie.

I'm still reading criticisms of DiCaprio's looks in regards to casting, and my take is, the guy is in REALITY over 35 years old. If he looks young for his age, oh well; there have always been people like that so for him to play these various characters isn't unrealistic. Not every adult male in their 30's looks like Jon Hamm (who's only three years older than D-Cap).

10-leonardo-dicaprio-esquire-cover-.jpg

Oh, look at me, Leo DiCaprio...drinkin a scotch, havin a smoke...

...lookin' 2% less baby

But srsly, he looks 35 to me...

Don't even get me started on that bullshit.

They should have at least thrown director to Marty.

But Leo and the film were also the most deserving winners among the nominees that year.

THANK YOU

I think (hope) Shutter Island gets Leo that Oscar...

The Year of Living Dangerously

I'm having a hard time believing that Mel Gibson was really ever this young and baby-faced.

Also, I forgot I was watching a woman play a man. Well done, Linda Hunt.

No lie, while I was watching the movie, I was thinking "I want to watch Kindergarten Cop again."

I've always had a soft spot for it. Yeah, it's cheesy. I love his female cop partner who's always eating.

I realize this means I should post this smiley, and will do so accordingly: :reject:

No lie, while I was watching the movie, I was thinking "I want to watch Kindergarten Cop again."

I've always had a soft spot for it. Yeah, it's cheesy. I love his female cop partner who's always eating.

I realize this means I should post this smiley, and will do so accordingly: :reject:

It's a genuinely entertaining movie, I wouldn't be ashamed of it. Any movie where Ahnuld interacts with children is alright by me.

It may be very silly to get worked up over Academy Awards, but Million Dollar Baby winning Best Picture over The Aviator still makes my blood boil.

But yeah The Aviator is awesome. I liked DiCaprio before but that performance really made go wow. When I first learned that he's going to be in the same film with Cate Blanchett I kinda went, ugh how can he pull off a convincing relationship with her character, he's such a babyface, but it totally worked in the movie.
No way! Million Dollar Baby was a far better movie, much more moving, too. I loved Eastwood taking a stand on the right to die, too. I hated everyone in "The Aviator" and couldn't relate, really. It sucks being obsessive compulsive, but Howard Hughes was too much of a jerk to like anything about him with his tacky charm. I also think the film got wrong the origins of his compulsion or didn't explain it clearly with the mother in the dream sequence.

Second place goes to "Sideways" that year. That was also so much better than Aviator and, looking back, Million Dollar Baby, too. Honestly, I think Scorcese is over-rated; other than the Nicholas Cage one with the woman from that TV show, "Medium", he has a very cynical view of women in his films. I just can't relate to them. They're very into brutality and violence. I always end up feeling bad about humanity when I watch his cynical take on the world. He might be a nice guy, though.

I've never understood the affection for Di Caprio, either, as an actor. He can act, unlike Tom Cruise, Jennifer Garner, Will Smith, Wynona Ryder and Keanu Reeves, but he's not that great; I always feel that he's playing someone and not being them.

Second place goes to "Sideways" that year. That was also so much better than Aviator. Honestly, I think Scorcese is over-rated; other than the Nicholas Cage one with the woman from that TV show, "Medium", he has a very cynical view of women in his films. I just can't relate to them. They're very into brutality and violence. I always end up feeling bad about humanity when I watch his cynical take on the world. He might be a nice guy, though.

The women in Taxi Driver, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, GoodFellas, The Age of Innocence, The Last Temptation of Christ, Raging Bull, The Departed, The Aviator and After Hours beg to differ. Oh wait, that may be his entire filmography.

His films all deal with significantly flawed protagonists, and in turn, may take a cynical viewpoint since it reflects their mind sets. I'm not saying that you have to like it, but to me, it's what makes his films continually interesting and worth keeping in any sort of debate.

The women in Taxi Driver, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, GoodFellas, The Age of Innocence, The Last Temptation of Christ, Raging Bull, The Departed, The Aviator and After Hours beg to differ. Oh wait, that may be his entire filmography.

His films all deal with significantly flawed protagonists, and in turn, may take a cynical viewpoint since it reflects their mind sets. I'm not saying that you have to like it, but to me, it's what makes his films continually interesting and worth keeping in any sort of debate.

Are you calling Jesus Christ a flawed protaganist? Dude...WTF?

At least the JC presented in that film, wracked with guilt and doubt at whether or not he is the savior and how he should handle it for about 90% of the movie. He's not as messed up as say a Travis Bickle or a Rupert Pupkin, but his internal struggle is about as severe, if not more so.

Back
Top Bottom