Review the Movie You Viewed 10 (out of 10=Masterpiece)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then I think The Shining is absolutely brilliant. Some of his finest technique on display and the film is absolutely gorgeous in that cold calculated Kubrick manner. I also think it was a stroke of genius to translate King's flat-out paranormal story into something of an ambiguous (as to its supernatural literalism) allegory to marital turmoil and a masculine psychology. And LM, I don't think your feelings of it being a comedy are quite so far removed from the truth. Those elements are there, whether in the manner you see them or otherwise.

Wasn't Spellbound less a Hitchcock misstep and more of a get-the-fuck-out-of-the-way-Selznick misstep? Or am I thinking of a different movie

Well yes it was a contentious production, but I think Peck and Bergman have poor chemistry and the psychological diagnosis/cure things usually tend to be cheesy (even in Psycho, and in Marnie as well).

The Dali thing is cool, but that's a pretty small part of the film.

I still think I got most of them. I also like Lifeboat. I still like Spellbound and it's Dali influence. The ending was cool. I haven't seen Stage Fright and I Confess yet.

Stage Fright is very underrated and has some interesting narrative trickery on Hitch's part. I Confess was really championed by the French New Wave critics, and the location work in Montreal is refreshing.

ACO worst kubrick

Ehh...whatever its faults, it's still very powerful as cinema. For the direction alone I wouldn't put this near the bottom.

Adrian Lyne's Lolita is better than Kubricks

This. Though it could have used a bit more humor. Kubrick's had WAY too much, Sellers never should have been allowed to run wild like that. Imagine Robin Williams instead of Frank Langella in the Lyne version because that's essentially what it was.

But, for me, I have a hard time thinking that The Shining is not his "worst" film. Again, not saying it's bar, or even close to bad, just not in the same league with ACO or 2001 or Strangelove, etc.

IN MY OPINION.

Well considering The Shining is widely regarded as one of, if not the, greatest horror film(s) ever, I wouldn't feel comfortable describing it as the worst. Can't judge it solely on its faithfulness as an adaptation, can we? How faithful was Barry Lyndon to its source? Or Eyes Wide Shut? I've said this before, Kubrick is more important than Stephen King so I don't give a fuck how he alters the latter's work. And you know, it's a different medium. Plus, King's own "approved" version for televison is by all accounts a flat-out piece of shit.

Full Metal Jacket, on the other hand, is NOT widely regarded as one of the best war films, and is considered redundant by many considering all the Vietnam films that had come before it. While there are some great scenes, overall I don't find it to be as successful an endeavor as The Shining. Also, Spartacus is a film that Kubrick was brought on late, and did not have complete creative control on. For that alone I'd rank it lower than most of his films.

Personally:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. Eyes Wide Shut
3. Dr. Strangelove
4. Paths of Glory
5. A Clockwork Orange
6. The Shining
7. Barry Lyndon
8. The Killing
9. Spartacus
10. Full Metal Jacket
11. Lolita

Well yes it was a contentious production, but I think Peck and Bergman have poor chemistry and the psychological diagnosis/cure things usually tend to be cheesy (even in Psycho, and in Marnie as well).

The Dali thing is cool, but that's a pretty small part of the film.

Stage Fright is very underrated and has some interesting narrative trickery on Hitch's part. I Confess was really championed by the French New Wave critics, and the location work in Montreal is refreshing.

Ehh...whatever its faults, it's still very powerful as cinema. For the direction alone I wouldn't put this near the bottom.

This. Though it could have used a bit more humor. Kubrick's had WAY too much, Sellers never should have been allowed to run wild like that. Imagine Robin Williams instead of Frank Langella in the Lyne version because that's essentially what it was.

Well considering The Shining is widely regarded as one of, if not the, greatest horror film(s) ever, I wouldn't feel comfortable describing it as the worst. Can't judge it as an adaptation, can we? How faithful was Barry Lyndon to its source? Or Eyes Wide Shut? I've said this before, Kubrick is more important than Stephen King so I don't give a fuck how he alters the latter's work.

Full Metal Jacket, on the other hand, is NOT widely regarded as one of the best war films, and is considered redundant by many considering all the Vietnam films that had come before it. While there are some great scenes, overall I don't find it to be as successful an endeavor as The Shining. Also, Spartacus is a film that Kubrick was brought on late, and did not have complete creative control on. For that alone I'd rank it lower than most of his films.

Personally:

2. Eyes Wide Shut
3. Dr. Strangelove
4. Paths of Glory
5. A Clockwork Orange
6. The Shining
7. Barry Lyndon
8. The Killing
9. Spartacus
10. Full Metal Jacket
11. Lolita

I just got through talking about how the differences between source material and the film mean fuck all to me, but ok.

For the record.....I'm not being negative towards the film, at all. I just think it's at the bottom of a master's body of work, which, relatively speaking, means the film still has a lot to recommend about it. Full Metal Jacket and Lolita would be towards the bottom as well, for me.

For the hell of it:

1. Barry Lyndon
2. Eyes Wide Shut
3. 2001: ASO
4. The Shining
5. Paths of Glory
6. Dr. Strangelove
7. The Killing
8. Full Metal Jacket
9. Spartacus
10. Lolita
11. A Clockwork Orange

I honestly don't care for the last three at all. The top two are both somewhere in my top 30 of all time probably.

Fine, fuck it:

1. 2001
2. Dr. Strangelove
3. A Clockwork Orange
4. Barry Lyndon
5. Eyes Wide Shut
6. Paths of Glory
7. The Killing
8. Spartacus
9. Full Metal Jacket
10. Lolita
11. The Shining

Let's add Coppola's The Conversation to the list of "masterpieces," please and thank you.

Then I think The Shining is absolutely brilliant. Some of his finest technique on display and the film is absolutely gorgeous in that cold calculated Kubrick manner. I also think it was a stroke of genius to translate King's flat-out paranormal story into something of an ambiguous (as to its supernatural literalism) allegory to marital turmoil and a masculine psychology. And LM, I don't think your feelings of it being a comedy are quite so far removed from the truth. Those elements are there, whether in the manner you see them or otherwise.

The steadicam work's not only revolutionary, but like you said, gorgeous as hell, made even more amazing by the fact that Kubrick was among one of the first to mount a whole feature with that rig.

When Jan Harlan spoke at my school about The Shining, he noted a lot of the points where the film dips into comedy, particularly with Nicholson's performance, and how its structured like an old-fashioned ghost story.

Well considering The Shining is widely regarded as one of, if not the, greatest horror film(s) ever, I wouldn't feel comfortable describing it as the worst. Can't judge it solely on its faithfulness as an adaptation, can we? How faithful was Barry Lyndon to its source? Or Eyes Wide Shut? I've said this before, Kubrick is more important than Stephen King so I don't give a fuck how he alters the latter's work.

Personally:

2. Eyes Wide Shut
3. Dr. Strangelove
4. Paths of Glory
5. A Clockwork Orange
6. The Shining
7. Barry Lyndon
8. The Killing
9. Spartacus
10. Full Metal Jacket
11. Lolita

Our Top 3's kind of the same:

1. Dr. Strangelove
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
3. Eyes Wide Shut
4. Barry Lyndon
5. Paths of Glory
6. The Shining
7. Lolita
8. Clockwork
9. Full Metal Jacket

Barry Lyndon is far too low on these lists... and on every list ever. Except for mine.

For the record, I don't dislike The Shining the film, I just like the book more is all.

And I enjoyed the mini-series a great deal, actually.

I don't know how the book will compare to this adaptation:

sting-in-dune.jpg

wells.jpg

I also think it was a stroke of genius to translate King's flat-out paranormal story into something of an ambiguous (as to its supernatural literalism) allegory to marital turmoil and a masculine psychology.

I'm so glad I read the book following a number of viewings of the film, as I had already grown accustomed to Kubrick's psychological focus, and it deepened my appreciation of characters that, IMO, had a lot more to offer in the book once I finally got around to reading it. Had the reverse occurred, I would view the film as merely a ridonkulous slasher with little else to offer. It works on those terms as well, however, which I think makes The Shining Kubrick's most universally appealing film.

With Lolita, however, I will be reading the book first, not least of all because I have not gotten the impression that the film is essential.

It is not. And don't let the fact that Nabokov is credited with adapting it himself fool you, because Kubrick changed a lot of what he wrote.

The book is beyond essential.

There's going to be a little bit of lag time, right? If the people who haven't seen a film have to put it on their Netflix queue, and then wait for it to arrive, watch it, etc.

We should probably get everyone's suggestions lined up sooner rather than later so the ball can get rolling on future picks.

There's going to be a little bit of lag time, right? If the people who haven't seen a film have to put it on their Netflix queue, and then wait for it to arrive, watch it, etc.

We should probably get everyone's suggestions lined up sooner rather than later so the ball can get rolling on future picks.

I have a plan. I'll post it in the thread, then we can discuss if it makes sense/will work.

But, yes, there will be lag time.

Now, silence, insolent dog.

Well if the plan was to do two films a month, that means an announcement, then say, a week or week and a half for everyone to acquire the film and watch it, then the remaining time or however long really to discuss it, then onto the next pick?

Well if the plan was to do two films a month, that means an announcement, then say, a week or week and a half for everyone to acquire the film and watch it, then the remaining time or however long really to discuss it, then onto the next pick?

Yeah, something along those lines.

All will be revealed on the morrow.

I need to watch more Kubrick. Of the ones I've seen:

1. Eyes Wide Shut
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey (just two weeks ago, first watching)
3. The Shining
4. A Clockwork Orange
5. Full Metal Jacket

Oh, and I saw Spartacus when I was like 6. But I don't really remember it at all.

Back
Top Bottom