Review the Movie You Viewed 10 (out of 10=Masterpiece)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never posted in here but oh my God.

-3/10

What a colossal piece of crap. It was my pick from Netflix, so I take full responsibility, but oh my God.

On a better note:

The Other Guys 6.9/10 Stupid and funny and stupid
Scott Pilgrim 8.3/10 I loved it.

Scott Pilgrim 8.3/10 I loved it.

the best movie this year > that no one is seeing.

scott_pilgrim_featurette.jpg

the best movie this year > that no one is seeing.

I agree. Really incredible film that had a nice mix of video game and indie culture. I was really surprised at how good the action scenes were too. Better than Iron Man 2 in my opinion.

The only thing keeping me from naming it best movie of the year so far is Inception. Therefore,

Scott Pilgrim: 9.0/10
Inception: 9.0/10

Also,

The Expendables: 6.5/10 (If you like big, dumb 80s action movies, you;ll like this. Too bad Stallone decided to direct though.)

Scott Pilgrim really was fantastic. Each frame is so packed with stuff and it flies by in such a blur I'm waiting to review it here until I've seen it a second time so it can really gel.

Oh, God. I saw Bedtime Stories tonight. Dear....God. There was NOTHING redeeming. Usually I walk away from a kid's movie and think, "Well, it was a good kid's movie. It was cute" etc.

No. Not this time. It was just....awful.

2/10

Scott Pilgrim really was fantastic. Each frame is so packed with stuff and it flies by in such a blur I'm waiting to review it here until I've seen it a second time so it can really gel.

It's probably the most fun I've had at the theater this year so far. It felt like a natural extension of Spaced as well as a solid adaptation of the material, which I say not having read the last book yet. The pacing was so frenetic that by the Gideon Graves sequence, I got a little tired, but I can tell that it won't bother me on a second viewing.

Volume 6 of the novels was kind of disappointing. I quite prefer Wright's version of the material around that part of the story. Though the last couple pages of the book, though similar to the last scene of the film, have a certain grace that the film didn't quite seem to achieve in that moment. But I'll probably even feel better about that on second viewing.

I'll say though, Wallace Wells was easily my favorite character in the books... quite possibly my favorite on the movie too. Culkin did great work. If the movie were three hours long instead of two, I'd want the extra hour to consist entirely of additional Wallace Wells and Envy Adams material. God, those two were pitch-perfect.

Apparently the ending was reworked to be more in line with the novel's, and the original ending will be included on the DVD release. Yanking Scott back and forth between Knives and Ramona kind of muted the emotional resonance of the ending, same with boiling down the subspace travel to the two door moments and a seemingly throwaway line, but hey, I can't complain.

Wells and Envy were both perfect, and I found myself liking Stephen Stills a lot more in the film than I did in the books. Too bad Kim didn't make the transition too well.

You could definitely feel the compression of the lengthy source material in the film, the knives/ramona thing and the subspace parts especially as you pointed out, but I have a feeling repeat viewings will smooth over a lot of the very minor issues I have with the film. Both Wright's previous films have only grown considerably each time I've seen them, and I already like this one as much if not more the Shaun of the Dead. I still adore Hot Fuzz more than either of them, but I've seen that one a good four times.

I'm with you regarding Stephen, and the kid who played Young Neil turned in one hell of a nuanced supporting performance too. Honestly, the casting and acting across the board was without fault, including all the evil exes, my favorite easily being Superman (but seriously the whole Todd/Envy section of the movie was easily the standout for me, as was that particular volume of the novels).

Volume 6 of the novels was kind of disappointing. I quite prefer Wright's version of the material around that part of the story. Though the last couple pages of the book, though similar to the last scene of the film, have a certain grace that the film didn't quite seem to achieve in that moment. But I'll probably even feel better about that on second viewing.

I'll say though, Wallace Wells was easily my favorite character in the books... quite possibly my favorite on the movie too. Culkin did great work. If the movie were three hours long instead of two, I'd want the extra hour to consist entirely of additional Wallace Wells and Envy Adams material. God, those two were pitch-perfect.

Agreed. Scott Pilgrim and Edgar Wright is our common ground.

He's quite good in it, and I've been sick of the guy for a while.

Really? I've been hesitant to see the film because of him, but it's getting such glowing reviews from people, and now I hear this, so, yeah, I'll probably go.

Eat Pray Love. 5/10.

It wasn't the worst thing in the world but it wasn't good either. If you hadn't read the book, it would make little sense, I think. A lot of the narrative story just can't get told on screen the same way. But the shots of Rome/India/Bali were exquisite and for that alone I enjoyed it.

Adaptation 10/10

Great acting. Great script. It's fun trying to detect the Charlie Kaufman part and the "Donald" Kaufman part of the movie. The movie removes the suspense of disbelief on purpose to watch it at another level. Oh Nicolas Cage when will you find a great movie like this again? :sad:

My Night at Maud’s (Eric Rohmer, 1969)

Rohmer really didn’t disappoint. This was the first of three features I intend to see this week (the others being Claire’s Knee and The Aviator’s Wife) in a retrospective that is going on here. My Night At Maud’s is the third of the “Six Moral Tales” that Rohmer wrote and directed in the 1960s and early 1970s, all of which seemingly portray some form of unconsummated passion and its moral implications.

The story is simple enough – a mid-30s Catholic man, Jean Louis, while attending mass, determines he will marry a woman who frequents the same church (but who he doesn’t yet know). He follows her after mass but loses her in traffic. That same evening, he meets an old friend who invites him to have drinks at the apartment of his lover, Maud. Most of the action takes place at Maud’s and could be described as philosophical banter – the meaning of Catholicism, atheism, politics, Pascal and even probability are discussed in an unmistakably French manner. Rohmer’s script and direction, as well as the performances by Jean-Louis Trintignant and Béatrice Fabian, are what make this possibly dull premise into something surprisingly engaging, witty, spontaneous and hilarious at times. Although Rohmer is ultimately more interested in Jean Louis and his ideas/behaviour, all of his characters are incredibly fully realized and interesting. Also, for someone who is more known for his characters/plot than his aesthetics, I thought the cinematography was pretty great and always consistent with the emotional vibe of the film.

In sum, this comes with a very strong recommendation. By the end of the week I will hopefully be able to say how it compares to some of his other well known films.

Back
Top Bottom